Like Minded Lushes - Fall 2019

Replies

• ryzeman
    ryzeman Posts: 870 Member
    Crazy time of year, our Thanksgiving is no exception. We will be hosting the "main" Thanksgiving on the Sunday before the actual Thanksgiving. One son will be out of town on a business trip during the actual Thanksgiving. So around a dozen family members here for that.

On the actual Thanksgiving we will be at our son's house. He will be getting back from Germany Wednesday and picking up his son early Thursday. So we will be doing another celebration, smaller, with him and his son.

This time of year is usually very stressful for me, but I am working on relaxing (still need to check out Syd's meditation) and going with the flow.

Despite the holiday distractions I will try to stay on track!
  • SoCalWoman
    SoCalWoman Posts: 2,384 Member
    Gary, you have that new smartphone now...check out and download the app "Calm". There's plenty of free meditations to see if you like it. Average length is about 12 minutes each. I eventually upgraded to the paid version to gain access to more options (it was actually gifted to me for Xmas last year...my favorite gift by far!!)
    Hang in there!
  • ryzeman
    Thanks Sydney!
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    So I am not so good at the checking in. oh well. I am still being very moderate with my alcohol intake, but it has gone back up a bit. I am going to try to get it back to nothing during the week and very little on the weekends. We are doing a small simple thanksgiving with just me and Doug. I am doing all my stress for Holly and her first thanksgiving dinner for family and the new in-laws. her MIL offered to bring something. So Holly said okay. She was going to bring yams. Then she said she would also bring a ham. And then she said the ham was such a good deal for the meal that she was going to bring ham, stuffing, greenbeans, mashed potatoes and gravy and a pie. Now when you typically bring something to a dinner you don't bring a whole damn dinner. And when would you bring a store bought pie to a family dinner that includes two incredible bakers? ( they already had 4 different pies on the menu) Holly doesn't know how to handle it. I am not sure I do either. I am just going to be a phone call away for when she needs me.

I hope you all have a great holiday.
  • SoCalWoman
    Hi Robin! The more food the better?? Maybe she's just trying to be helpful.

My brother and SIL do Thanksgiving and I'm very thankful for that (I'm not a fan of all that mushy food) I will bring my famous cheesecake and of course, the wine. My 2 yo grand niece is the star of every family gathering now so no one really cares how the food turns out. Next year after we move should be interesting but for now our holidays are a no stress zone which is nice!!

We're expecting lots of rain so that'll be the biggest challenge. Us SoCal peeps don't drive well when that happens!

Have a great week lushes!
  • SoCalWoman
    Hope everyone had a great turkey day! :smiley:

My niece announced she's pregnant so we that was exciting! Not sure how Artemis Sydney will feel about sharing the spotlight. She put on quite the show for everyone...pretty sure she thought we were all there to celebrate her (and she's not totally wrong)

Shared a bottle of wine with my SIL and there was still some left at the end of the evening so I moderated quite well. Hope to get in some exercise now that the rain (and snow in our mountains) is moving out.

Onward to Christmas everyone! :o
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    So much turkey :) I had a very lushy long weekend and no fun traveling on Sunday (spent all night in the Salt Lake City airport, thanks, Delta). Planning a sober week except for the drag brunch Sunday because if your ticket includes a drink not getting an alcoholic drink just doesn't make fiscal sense ;)
    I am planning to make reasonable choices til Christmas and then start a "get ready for Spring Break" kind of plan after that.
  • ryzeman
    Hiya Robin, Sydney and Amy! I can't believe it is December already. We had a good thanksgiving. We hosted for the family- about 12 people. Then, a few days later, we went to our oldest son's house and had a smaller thanksgiving with him, his son, and his girlfriend. He couldn't make the first thanksgiving as he was in Germany on business.

As for me, I am just trying to maintain. I am still doing well the first part of the day, but after dinner I find it hard to stay away from the snacking and drinking. At least I know where the problem area is!

I wish you all a relaxing couple of weeks before the Christmas, Kwanza, Hanukkah, Winter Solstice, and other festivities arrive!
  • SoCalWoman
    Drag brunch Sunday sounds fun, Amy!
    Sounds like your Thanksgiving was great, Gary.

Plugging along here. Dealing with contractors to do some repairs on the house and I'm trying not to let the stress get to me. The house hits the MLS Jan 4. Hoping the work will be done. Lots of rain here has pushed it all back. In the meantime I've got the Christmas decorations up. We'll get the tree this weekend. After being in this house for 25 years, I'm going through mixed emotions. Last Christmas here makes me a little sad :'(

No 0s here to report and don't expect there will be many this month. :ohwell:
  • amysj303
    I was able to make it without drinking Mon-Thurs. We split a bottle of wine last night. Tonight we are going to sushi and a movie. I am not sure if I will drink, no real need to. maybe save my calories for popcorn. We are seeing "Knives Out" and of course, drag brunch tomorrow.
    I am going to start the old Leigh Peele Ultimate Fat Loss for the next 12 weeks. Planning to be on a beach somewhere in March. I will do the workouts and then maybe for the last month I will try some ready made meals like Territory or Freshly. Not sure if anyone has tried them here? I just get so tired of meal planning and prep, but I hate to spend money on things that don't taste good :D
  • SoCalWoman
    Never heard of the Leigh Peele Ultimate Fat Loss, Amy. Sounds like you have a specific plan in place though....which is always helpful. Good luck! Spring break trips are always a good motivator. I've never tried any of the ready made meal programs, but I agree that meal prep/planning can get very tiresome.

It rained all weekend here so we're getting our tree tonight. Then we're leaving tomorrow for a quick trip to LaQuinta to house hunt. The hotel offers a free happy hour with wine and beer, so duh...it would be silly not to partake, right? :drinker:
  • amcanzo
    amcanzo Posts: 418 Member
    Syd - yes, as Amy pointed out- it would not be fiscally responsible to not partake when it is included! :)
    Just plugging along here, dropped a little weight trying to be a bit better...
    Nothing new, just trying to get ready for Christmas and survive work - year end...ugh! :#
  • ryzeman
    Zeros for four days now. Don't worry about me tho, as weed is legal in WA State. :devil: Getting ready for the holiday festivities. Trying to keep my sanity.
  • amysj303
    weed doesn't have calories either, good choice;) I had fun at the drag brunch and had half a bottle of champagne. Will manage 0s til Friday, got happy hour plans then.
    I have stuck to the first two days of Leigh Peele. I just said that like y'all knew what I was talking about but it was a plan I followed 5 years ago!
  • ryzeman
    Amy- if the plan works- GO FOR IT!
    Weigh in day after tomorrow, we'll see if the zeros pay off.
  • SoCalWoman
    Ann, I was as you put it, fiscally responsible and had the free wine...as well as a margarita at a fantastic Mexican restaurant. This was after a full day of house hunting and well over 10,000 steps. I was so tired I actually left behind the 2nd glass of wine. Weighed in down a pound.

4 days of 0s, Gary?? Way to be disciplined. Do you all find that you eat more when you don't drink? I definitely do. I hope the scale rewards you. In the meantime keep on chillin :smokin:
  • ryzeman
    Down two pounds!
    Yes Syd, I eat more when I don't drink, but don't eat as many calories as I would have drank. So, all in all, a win!

How did the house hunting go?
  • amysj303
    I had a few drinks Friday-vodka soda, two palomas, 1/2 bottle of red but I logged it all anyway! Saturday I only had one glass of wine and nothing on Sunday. 6 drinks for the week isn't so bad...are we still counting a bottle as 4 drinks?
    Congrats on being down a couple of pounds, Gary!
    I stuck to all my workouts and I plan on another week of workouts and reasonable meal choices. Plan to get steak and crab on Saturday, yum! The dungeoness season was delayed a month, we've been looking forward to it. It's low calorie (if you don't add too much butter) and a lot of work....
  • SoCalWoman
    Amy, a bottle of wine for me is 3 1/2 glasses because well...my glasses are BIG :p And YUM to steak and crab. Sounds DElish.

House hunting went well. we've narrowed it down to a specific model we like. The same builder in 2 different neighborhoods...so whichever pops up first (that's basically turnkey ready) we'll snatch up. Each neighborhood has positives and I fluctuate between the 2 as to which I like better. We shall see.

Shopping and wrapping is done. I'm now busy planning my Christmas Eve meal.

Hope you lushes are doing well! I'm drinking a glass (sometimes 2) of red wine every night. :drinker:
  • ryzeman
    Amy, the steak and crab diet is one I can get behind!
    Syd, I am glad your house hunting went well! So much going on this time of year, perhaps looking for a house you will have less competition. Will it be a one story home? That was a must for us as we slid into retirement. NO more STAIRS!

My dad is back in the hospital with congestive heart failure. He is comfortable and pain free, which is our goal. Now to get the fluid off the lungs and get him home in time for Christmas!

I am doing well on zeros and moderating. We will see what the scales say on Friday.