Toxic yo-yo diet culture

MessyApron
MessyApron Posts: 206 Member
Has anyone else noticed how dominant the hate-yourself-thin ideology is in the MFP community as a whole?
I’ve seen so many posts and threads full of things like people punishing themselves for overindulging by skipping their next meal and going to bed hungry or refusing to allow themselves to have any treats at all during the holidays or acting like taking a maintenance break during a plateau is advice sent from the very devil himself. It’s a bit unsettling. I end up lurking more than commenting or posting in the forums because it often feels like screaming into the void.

Replies

• herblovinmom
    herblovinmom Posts: 351 Member
    Hmmm, 🧐 I have noticed some things you’ve mentioned, but I try to remind myself that everyone has there own methods for achieving their health goals. To each there own sort of thing. I am one of the people that avoid sugar and certain foods like the plague. But only because of how it effects me personally both physically and mentally. Everyone is encouraged to do there own research and speak with nutritional professionals in regards to own goals. Don’t be hesitant to reach out for info or advice or just to share and vent. There will always be a difference of opinion but I’ve found lots of positive helpful fitness pals along the way 😁
  • MessyApron
    MessyApron Posts: 206 Member
    Thank you for being encouraging. I guess when I see people promoting mindsets and behaviors that were undermining to my health and success I get uncomfortable; like I want to ask them to reconsider. At the same time, there’s no one-size-fit-all solution, so there’s no guarantee that what worked for me is right for others.
    And even if it *is* the right approach for someone, I think that if some rando online had challenged those same beliefs back when *I* held them, I almost definitely would have ignored them. I just wasn’t ready for that paradigm shift at that stage of my journey.
  • oceangirl99
    oceangirl99 Posts: 161 Member
    Yup I've noticed all of that but agree that one size does not fit all! For me it is all about triggers and trying to avoid them... I'll bet that's what lots of people are doing.