Determined December Challenge 2019

Options

Replies

• macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    Just checking in to say I've been hit by a wicked virus so that's thrown me off course for a bit. Hope you all are doing well.
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options
    12/22/19

1.Under 75 carbs tops (I'm usually under 50 but leeway for holiday events) DONE....even though I had a kid's meal burrito bowl for dinner and some custard. After 10 years my inlaws still have pretty serious misunderstandings about gluten and anyhow Christmas dinner was unsafe even including the turkey this year. lol

2. Work on adding at least 1 or 2 days of some sort of exercise each week. I know that sounds lame but I have literally done NO exercise, not even taking walks in many months due to a huge long lasting RA flare.

Had to keep up with 2 infants and a 6 year old all day so NEAT if nothing else.

3. Try a new low carb recipe each week to motivate me and my husband who is kind of sorting following the plan.

No cooking...Christmas dinner at my mother in law's.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,948 Member
    edited December 2019
    Options
    The plague has infected everyone but me. Merry Christmas...
    I hope they feel better by Christmas Eve when they have all the family things to do. I'm trying to keep the damage of DH sabotage to a minimum.

I'm popping C and about to drink some concentrated elderberry tea once I finish my coffee. Hoping to get away from caregiving enough to get in a workout today.
  • anglyn1
    Options
    @baconslave best wishes for speedy recoveries and a healthy happy holiday!!!!
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    Luci - bone broth sounds amazing and I'm sorry your extended family is stressful...I usually go with "sorry you feel that way" as a response to avoid fights even when people are clearly trying to start them...it's always a challenge being around people who are not respectful of boundaries, and even without engaging them, I find the constant necessary asserting of boundaries to be stressful in and of itself.

My weekend was good-ish...I did not go to the beach because traffic was a nightmare just getting home on Friday and I was exhausted dealing with all the crazy aggressive drivers - look people, if you would just drive politely, we could all get there without get killed or having heart attacks because you *almost* killed us - that actually turned out to be a stroke of luck since there was a 50+ car pileup coming back from the beach yesterday and I was thankful not to be involved and also not to be stuck in the inevitable backup of traffic.

I did get back to working out and no recurrence of coughing or sneezing or anything...I also tried to get lots of rest, and even sorted through some of the papers laying around my house that have been piling up this year, and all the normal cleaning and such.

Food was mostly good, I wasn't good about staying macro focused on Saturday or logging in advance, but I did good tracking overall and I feel like I'm getting the hang of this.

I'm so tired of the reduced calories and can't wait to get back to maintenance, and the scale is no cooperating, it's up, of course, but I expected some water retention after adding workouts, so not entirely surprised.
  • vkrenz
    vkrenz Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Dec 20, 21, and 22 check in. I'm falling behind with all the busyness.

1. Lose 5 lbs before 12/31/19 [the scale is cooperating well and hope to record a good loss]
    2. Stay under carb goal (< 35) and under calorie goal (<1,500) every day [12/20 and 12/22 not so good with carbs but under 60 both days, calories well under all 3 days]
    3. Exercise every day at least 30 minutes, walking on treadmill or outside if weather permits [2 miles on treadmill all 3 days then on weekend I'm up to 4 minutes on elliptical and 20 minutes on bicycle]
    4. Plan ahead every day which is challenging with so many potluck opportunities and I love to socialize. [I did plan ahead but that darn fudge sitting on the counter is giving me a hard time, then Sunday was a church function with date balls staring at me, surprising how only 5 small balls can add up to so many carbs]

I'll be back at it 12/23 and through Christmas Eve so then on Christmas Day I'm planning to go over carbs and have some Christmas cookies. I am looking forward to after the holidays actually.

I hope everyone is able to be successful. I do agree with the above post and being so tired of reduced carbs, I haven't had much trouble with reduced calories. I'm not anywhere close to maintenance so I'm going to be determined to keep going strong.

Vicki

• Violet_Flux
    Violet_Flux Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Dec 23 is done for us. Its been an ok day but feeling very tired now. 😾 And I couldn't finish dinner... so I'm not sure about calories for the day. I think we probably got over 1000. Like, pretty sure.

It was kinda wierd tbh, I didn't feel full but just like, halfway through eating I was suddenly like bored with it or something. Like someone turned a switch & i went from enjoying dinner to having zero interest in it & zero appetite. 😾

1) Carbs < 30g - ✅
    2) 1000 < Calories < 1500 - ❓
    3) Log Everything! - ✅
    4) Hit our activity goal every day - ✅
    5) At least 5 workouts/week - ◼️◼️◻️◻️◻️

Hope everyone else is having a good day! 😺
  • baconslave
    Options
    Dec 23 is done for us. Its been an ok day but feeling very tired now. 😾 And I couldn't finish dinner... so I'm not sure about calories for the day. I think we probably got over 1000. Like, pretty sure.

It was kinda wierd tbh, I didn't feel full but just like, halfway through eating I was suddenly like bored with it or something. Like someone turned a switch & i went from enjoying dinner to having zero interest in it & zero appetite. 😾

1) Carbs < 30g - ✅
    2) 1000 < Calories < 1500 - ❓
    3) Log Everything! - ✅
    5) At least 5 workouts/week - ◼️◼️◻️◻️◻️

Hope everyone else is having a good day! 😺

Y'know, when I was keto I would get that here and there. Maybe it's a hormone shift, or you crossed a threshold from the cheat day.
    Hopefully that will go away throughout the day.

anglyn1 wrote: »
    @baconslave best wishes for speedy recoveries and a healthy happy holiday!!!!

Thanks!

I'm sick now.
    Dad's oven went out with cookie dough made yesterday so he and sis came up to use ours. Needles to say, or not so needless as I'm saying it :smirk: , the workout didn't happen. :unamused: Still have deviled eggs and brownies to make for the Xmas Eve shindig. The kids seem to be doing better. I've felt worse. But I know this thing can get pretty nasty, so the worst may be for tomorrow.

Merry Christmas to all or Happy Festivus. Happy Holiday!!!
  • baconslave
    Options
    Luci - bone broth sounds amazing and I'm sorry your extended family is stressful...I usually go with "sorry you feel that way" as a response to avoid fights even when people are clearly trying to start them...it's always a challenge being around people who are not respectful of boundaries, and even without engaging them, I find the constant necessary asserting of boundaries to be stressful in and of itself.

My weekend was good-ish...I did not go to the beach because traffic was a nightmare just getting home on Friday and I was exhausted dealing with all the crazy aggressive drivers - look people, if you would just drive politely, we could all get there without get killed or having heart attacks because you *almost* killed us - that actually turned out to be a stroke of luck since there was a 50+ car pileup coming back from the beach yesterday and I was thankful not to be involved and also not to be stuck in the inevitable backup of traffic.

I did get back to working out and no recurrence of coughing or sneezing or anything...I also tried to get lots of rest, and even sorted through some of the papers laying around my house that have been piling up this year, and all the normal cleaning and such.

Food was mostly good, I wasn't good about staying macro focused on Saturday or logging in advance, but I did good tracking overall and I feel like I'm getting the hang of this.

I'm so tired of the reduced calories and can't wait to get back to maintenance, and the scale is no cooperating, it's up, of course, but I expected some water retention after adding workouts, so not entirely surprised.

Sorry about the traffic and people being so people. :unamused:
    Glad you're recovering! I so feel you on the deficit fatigue. Hopefully the scale will cooperate SOON so you can hop off that crazy carousel asap.
  • baconslave
    Options
    vkrenz wrote: »
    Dec 20, 21, and 22 check in. I'm falling behind with all the busyness.

1. Lose 5 lbs before 12/31/19 [the scale is cooperating well and hope to record a good loss]
    2. Stay under carb goal (< 35) and under calorie goal (<1,500) every day [12/20 and 12/22 not so good with carbs but under 60 both days, calories well under all 3 days]
    3. Exercise every day at least 30 minutes, walking on treadmill or outside if weather permits [2 miles on treadmill all 3 days then on weekend I'm up to 4 minutes on elliptical and 20 minutes on bicycle]
    4. Plan ahead every day which is challenging with so many potluck opportunities and I love to socialize. [I did plan ahead but that darn fudge sitting on the counter is giving me a hard time, then Sunday was a church function with date balls staring at me, surprising how only 5 small balls can add up to so many carbs]

I'll be back at it 12/23 and through Christmas Eve so then on Christmas Day I'm planning to go over carbs and have some Christmas cookies. I am looking forward to after the holidays actually.

I hope everyone is able to be successful. I do agree with the above post and being so tired of reduced carbs, I haven't had much trouble with reduced calories. I'm not anywhere close to maintenance so I'm going to be determined to keep going strong.

Vicki

Hang in there and enjoy your holiday!
    I 100% get that about looking forward to "after the holidays." All the plan disruption is aggravating; I just want to get back to business, y'know.
    Anyway, strength to you for remaining on your plan and enjoy your Christmas. :drinker:
  • baconslave
    Options
    Bah! I forgot to wish Happy Hanukkah! But this silly site won't let me go back and edit.
    Merry Everything! :lol:
  • francesca_grey
    francesca_grey Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Checking in one last time before the holiday takes over. Around this time last month I had been trying to stick to my plan and when Thanksgiving came I decided to just say screw it and I ate all weekend pretty much. Felt awful but it was the rock bottom I needed to turn that around. I am so proud of my progress the past few weeks! I'm really satisfied with what I am eating, weight keeps going down, strength is going up and I see some more muscle definition. I can't believe the month is almost over and I am feeling this strong and ready to continue another.

But when I am feeling this good I get suspicious :| Tomorrow I am planning to eat pie for dessert. I have issues with self control when I consume sugar so I am not sure if it is going to derail me or not, but I have to try. I'll be back checking in on the 26th to let y'all know how I did.

Happy Holidays to all and hope that you are back to report how well you did too!
  • vkrenz
    Options
    Checking in for 12/23

1. Lose 5 lbs before 12/31/19 [doing good]
    2. Stay under carb goal (< 35) and under calorie goal (<1,500) every day [successful today, being nervous for Xmas eve and Xmas day]
    3. Exercise every day at least 30 minutes, walking on treadmill or outside if weather permits [only had time for 30 minutes on the treadmill for 1.8 miles]
    4. Plan ahead every day which is challenging with so many potluck opportunities and I love to socialize. [I was able to keep out of the fudge and Christmas cookies knowing that I have planned to eat some on Christmas]

Happy Holidays to everyone and have a Merry Christmas.
    Whatever happens over the next couple days know that we can get back on schedule, we've done it before.

Vicki
  • Violet_Flux
    Options
    Day 24 is now done for us here. Got in a workout this morning, calories good, carbs were low. 😺

1) Carbs < 30g - ✅
    2) 1000 < Calories < 1500 - ✅
    3) Log Everything! - ✅
    5) At least 5 workouts/week - ◼️◼️◼️◻️◻️

The next 36-48 hours or so will be difficult for us. For various bad-brain reasons, this time of year is especially hard & our main coping mechanisms in the past have all been self-destructive... booze, food, & other more 'direct' methods of harm. 😾

Going to do our best to avoid all of that & stick to the plan. Dunno how we'll do, but whatever happens we'll still be here.

We hope the next few days go well for everybody, whether you celebrate or not. 😺
  • taylok23
    taylok23 Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Yesterday was great for NEAT and water intake but then I had drinks and pizza so hopefully all the activity and exercise balanced that out. Today I plan to skip the potatoes and cheesecake and stick with meat and salad, plus a nice fast. Happy holidays everyone!
  • vkrenz
    Options
    Merry Christmas everyone!
    Yesterday was a good day for me except I missed exercise b/c we were on the road to get to family Christmas. Today I have already had 3 cookies but I have planned for getting back to those goals after the holidays.

Hoping everyone is having a great day!
    Vicki, from northern Wisconsin.
  • Violet_Flux
    Options
    Day 25 is done for us. Not a great day, but we got thru it. 😼 We missed our carb goal by like 500% lol... someone just had to have pizza for breakfast again. 😾

MFP says we just squeaked under the calorie goal but with all the carbs I feel like we overate so I marked an X. 😾 We did log everything tho.

And we tried to make it up with some extra activity today too - did our regular morning workout, then also went for a walk & did some more NEAT and stuff.

1) Carbs < 30g - ❌
    2) 1000 < Calories < 1500 - ❌
    3) Log Everything! - ✅
    5) At least 5 workouts/week - ◼️◼️◼️◼️◻️

Tomorrow we gotta see the family for the holiday meal & stuff. We'll be trying extra hard to stay on track for that. 😼

Hope everyone else is having a good day today! Its the home stretch now, last 7 days of December! 😸
  • maureenkhilde
    maureenkhilde Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Mostly staying on track.
    But well the 24th and today Christmas day. Well I went way over the carbs. For some reason much worse on the 24th. Hit 91. Today 68. And I caved someone gave me the small package of Ferrero Rocher Fine Hazelnut Chocolates, and I savored each one. So right there 230 caloried and 16 net carbs. Truly the only real big time carby item I have had in over 4 months. So I said ok, enjoy and get back to regular programming.
    Plus took an hour walk late afternoon.
    I continue to log everything, weigh everything. Even the low carb/keto cookies I made I weighed all the ingredients first.
    Christmas Eve, had friends over and we had a huge CRAB LEG feast. I literally ate the crab legs and the garlic lemon butter sauce. And some celery. Others had garlic bread, and or baked potatoes.
    And Tiramisu I made for dessert. Two versions one with ladyfingers one Low carb without. Was very good.

Staying right on top of exercising daily. for at least 45 minutes per day.
    Weight is up a bit, so need to get back on track on the 26th, believe it is mostly retention, lots more sodium than normal.
    Weigh in once a week, on Saturdays

On the 23rd I showed I weighed 228 so down 3 lbs in December. Test will be the Saturday the 28th, and Monday the 30th againb.

I hope everyone had a joyous Holiday, however you celebrate. And remember to show kindness to all you meet. As we never know what burdens others carry.

Onward and downward we shall go.
  • anglyn1
    Options
    Doing so so these last few days. The 23rd my husband took me to one of my favorite restaurants so I went well over carbs. Yesterday wasn’t bad and today I stayed under my top end by a smidge. Activity has been mainly hauling babies around. One of the twins had a bad cold these past three days. I also did a good bit of housecleaning yesterday. I have not tried a new recipe yet. I’ve actually not cooked much in days other than our traditional Christmas omelets.
  • baconslave
    Options
    Plague is still the word of the day. I'm still feeling better that some of the worst hit but I don't feel great. Between caregiving for sicklies and catering to the silliness of Dad, Sis, and the in-laws, there's been no working out. Not that I've felt like it. I'm hoping I can work something in today. We'll see how it goes. I am on-plan today at least.