A few questions?

Options
Hello,
I am starting my keto journey on Sunday and had a few questions to ask
1. Can I use Ikan Bilis as a snack? ( teeny tiny fish, crispy and yummy)
2. Is there anyway I can make my caramel macchiato from Starbucks keto friendly?
3. If I had a chocolate cake from Paul that had 27.2g of carbs per 100g can I have 10g of the cake everyday so I get 2.7g of carbs?
i would appreciate any help starting this journey
Thank you

Replies

• gwendyprism
    gwendyprism Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    1. If they are just fish with no carbs added, than sure. 3. The goal is 20 carbs or less per day (whether net or whole carbs is individual decision. ) Yes I suppose you could do 20 carbs in cake instead of vegetables but it wouldnt be very healthy. Worse than that, you probably wouldnt get over your carb and sugar cravings which, to me, is the best part of keto.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Fish are fine assuming they aren’t coated in sugar.
    Starbucks has a sugar free cinnamon dolce and a vanilla syrup. Other than that, everything has sugar.
    Cake really isn’t going to work on keto. Your carbs aren’t there to be an indulgence. They are for nutrition. This is like trying to have one shot a day as an alcoholic trying to quit drinking. You would be doing just enough to ensure you never break the addiction.
    If you don’t believe it’s an addiction just read your question again.
  • AmyG1982
    AmyG1982 Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    I’d definitely recommend going a few weeks strict keto with little to no sugar substitutes to break your sugar addiction. Then you could try adding keto acceptable sweets OCCASIONALLY. Fat bombs are great and some keto mug cakes/brownies are really good for those days when you want something a little more like your traditional favourites. But it’s easy to get back into bad habits of eating sweets every day which can make hitting your macros tough.
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    • Assuming this is how Ikan Bilis are made, they are fine to eat.
    • Is there a way? Trying to make it at home, you might get close. There is still likely to be significant carbs from the dairy used. And, it is going to take a lot of artificial sweeteners (which can cause issues depending on which ones you are using). The reality of the matter is, probably not.
    • Eating 10 grams of cake? No just don't. Eat it now, throw it out, give it away, or whatever. But, don't sit there and try and eat the cake a cubic inch at a time. That's just going to cause you to lose control.

Actually, two of your three questions are both really the same thing. How can I feed my addiction to sugar while breaking my addiction to sugar? You can't. It is best to just give these things up. You might be shocked how quickly these things no longer seem to matter.

To give you an example, I used to love Twinkies. I would have at least one box a month in my house. I cut them when trying paleo (but would still cheat and have one once in a while). When I started keto, I figured that I would just make it through without Twinkies for a few months. I could live a few months without them. Shortly after I started, the company that made them went bankrupt and Twinkies stopped being made. It looked like I would never have another one again. I was only a month or two into keto at the time, but I really just shrugged that realization off. Oh well, I didn't really 'want' Twinkies anymore. It was a big moment, because earlier in my life I would have been in a panic to go buy a bunch of boxes to make sure I had some for as long as possible. I didn't go and buy any.

Man, I just looked up the year that happened. Has it really been that long? I really am becoming an old fart around here. And, yes, I know Twinkies are back. But, when it first happened, we didn't know they would come back.