Quick bites

Options
pamatc2
pamatc2 Posts: 866 Member
I'm looking for recommendations on quick meals or snacks on the go! I found that I usually mess up my diet when I'm super busy and running out the door and need to grab food on the go. Of course, carbs are the easiest, most available things to grab, but what are your favorites that keep you on your macros? I've done keto bars and protein shakes that are low sugar, but those get old, fast. Any other ideas? TIA!

Replies

• __Roxy__
    __Roxy__ Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    I like to make "Keto Cups"

- Line muffin pan with black forest ham
    - Mix up eggs with whatever combo of filling you want
    (Mushroom, onion, peppers, bacon, cheese, greens, herbs & spices... whatever you like!)
    - Pour your egg mixture into the ham-lined muffin tins, and bake :)

I make these 2-3 dozen at a time. They freeze really well and make an awesome on the go snack!!
  • pamatc2
    Options
    I love egg muffins! I've done this before as a quick breakfast and have been recently thinking of making them again. I could eat eggs all day, but don't want to get sick of them. Thanks for the recommendation!
  • cgcrutch
    cgcrutch Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Tuna/chicken packets, pork rinds, cheese sticks, jerky, pickles, pepperoni or summer sausage for thing u don't have to make. To make ahead: chia pudding/smoothies, breakfast burrito with low carb tortilla, mug cakes/muffins, flackers with guacamole or low carb dip, salads if u have a cooler
  • pamatc2
    Options
    Any tips on how to get my egg muffins not to stick? I sprayed the pan, always do, but they stick like crazy. I lose the entire bottom of every muffin.

I have done cheese sticks, jerky, but pepperoni is a nice change of pace. I can't eat chicken or tuna right out of the packet without mixing it with mayo and spices. If I can find a low carb, gluten free tortilla, the breakfast burrito sounds good! I also hate salads at home. Not sure why, but they just don't taste as good as a restaurant salad. Thanks for the ideas!
  • cgcrutch
    cgcrutch Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    pamatc2 wrote: »
    Any tips on how to get my egg muffins not to stick? I sprayed the pan, always do, but they stick like crazy. I lose the entire bottom of every muffin.

I have done cheese sticks, jerky, but pepperoni is a nice change of pace. I can't eat chicken or tuna right out of the packet without mixing it with mayo and spices. If I can find a low carb, gluten free tortilla, the breakfast burrito sounds good! I also hate salads at home. Not sure why, but they just don't taste as good as a restaurant salad. Thanks for the ideas!

U may need a better pan if they always stick, try a non-stick or silicone pan. Or reusable silicone baking cups from Amazon. The tortillas I buy aren't gluten free but u can make some from flax seeds. Try the flavored tuna/chicken packets and swipe some Mayo packets from the deli lol. For salads I always use spinach or kale so it doesn't get soggy, wasabi almonds, avocado, leftover steak, egg salad, limes, dried cranberries sparingly, anything to make it less mundane
  • Beachlady228
    Beachlady228 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Quest protein chips (pricey) and nuts are two of my favorite snacks.
  • YesPlesiosaur
    YesPlesiosaur Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hard boiled eggs are my go to snack.
  • squirley13
    squirley13 Posts: 112 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Since I’m mostly carnivore Keto: hard boiled eggs, pork rinds, jerky, already cooked bacon (uncured), ham roll ups with Swiss cheese, smoked salmon, canned clams, canned oysters, pickled herring, smoked herring, smoked sardines. I quickly fry up surf and turf meals like steak and shrimp. I try not have processed food especially if it has more than 4 ingredients.
  • ploomka
    ploomka Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Pork cracklins, almonds, cheese sticks, salami, keto cookies (lots of easy recipes out there)
  • nwatermelonsugar
    nwatermelonsugar Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    pamatc2 wrote: »

You could try pressing raw loose sausage on the bottom and put your egg mixture on top. That way the grease from the sausage will keep the bottom from sticking. You could also try smearing butter, coconut oil, or bacon grease instead of a spray so it gets a thicker layer. The more fat the better, right!? 😁
  • pamatc2
    Options
    Thanks for the great ideas on helping me to un-stick my muffins! :wink: My pan is older, so maybe I should invest in silicone or try the sausage idea. Great suggestions!

I've found some really yummy tuna from Costco that only needs a little avocado mayo and some seasonings and doesn't taste too fishy!

I forgot about hard-boiled eggs. They are usually a spring treat for me, around Easter. I found an awesome, quick way to make them in my Instant Pot too! Stocked up on cheese sticks too!

All your suggestions are really helping me to stay on track! Thanks all!
  • dawnz75
    dawnz75 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I like bacon with avacado inside a leaf of romaine lettuce for a quick out the door snack, or meal if I eat 3-4 of them... The sodium is great. I really like turkey bacon, which helps me keep the calories down and eat 3-4. =)
  • ploomka
    ploomka Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    @dawnz75 great idea! Like a BALT almost! Who needs tomatoes
  • prowell57
    prowell57 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    When I make egg muffins I use the paper liners in my muffin pan and eat them like a cupcake.