What's on your mind today?

Options

Replies

• LesIckaBod
    LesIckaBod Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Last day of vacay before the kids start back to school tomorrow.

Wins:
    • Returned to my old exercise habits, and it feels great!
    • Returned to my old eating habits, plus added some new delicious meals, and it feels great!
    • Kept the dining room table clear and kitchen mostly clear, which helps with food prep, eating, and overall feelings of accomplishment
    • Played lots of games with the kids on the tidy dining room table!
    • Received a work evaluation today that I always worry over, and did better than I thought I would!
    • Spent most of vacay at home, which meant we all had mostly home-cooked meals and lots of peace together
    • Took care of a few of the tasks on my to-do list

Losses:
    • Still some things on the to-do list that are giving me an upset tummy when I think about them
    • Clutter is beginning to return to the kitchen island
    • I've had trouble falling asleep before 1 am, and I've been sleeping in a little too long

Overall, not bad, really. Back to the real grind tomorrow, as I try to continue my exercise and food progress while dealing for the first time with the weekly activity schedule for the little dudes. Monday is the tough one, because they do two activities with just enough time in between for a quick meal. I'm thinking egg salad sandwiches or grilled cheese plus veggies and hummus will likely be their Monday meals until the second activity ends in about 6 weeks. Otherwise, they just have one activity on Wed and one on Friday, so it's not an intense schedule the rest of the week.

Those of you who are parents with elementary or middle school kids, how do you handle the grind around driving kids and preparing their meals on those busy days? Is there a good go-to meal I should consider?
  • planj
    planj Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Hello ALL :)

Late for January’s challenge. I will b3 forgoing the winners circle. Thanks!
  • Dory_42
    Dory_42 Posts: 3,587 Member
    Options
    LesIckaBod wrote: »
    Last day of vacay before the kids start back to school tomorrow.

Wins:
    • Returned to my old exercise habits, and it feels great!
    • Returned to my old eating habits, plus added some new delicious meals, and it feels great!
    • Kept the dining room table clear and kitchen mostly clear, which helps with food prep, eating, and overall feelings of accomplishment
    • Played lots of games with the kids on the tidy dining room table!
    • Received a work evaluation today that I always worry over, and did better than I thought I would!
    • Spent most of vacay at home, which meant we all had mostly home-cooked meals and lots of peace together
    • Took care of a few of the tasks on my to-do list

Losses:
    • Still some things on the to-do list that are giving me an upset tummy when I think about them
    • Clutter is beginning to return to the kitchen island
    • I've had trouble falling asleep before 1 am, and I've been sleeping in a little too long

Overall, not bad, really. Back to the real grind tomorrow, as I try to continue my exercise and food progress while dealing for the first time with the weekly activity schedule for the little dudes. Monday is the tough one, because they do two activities with just enough time in between for a quick meal. I'm thinking egg salad sandwiches or grilled cheese plus veggies and hummus will likely be their Monday meals until the second activity ends in about 6 weeks. Otherwise, they just have one activity on Wed and one on Friday, so it's not an intense schedule the rest of the week.

Those of you who are parents with elementary or middle school kids, how do you handle the grind around driving kids and preparing their meals on those busy days? Is there a good go-to meal I should consider?

Well done on the impressive list of wins. I have found the way to keep clutter off surfaces is to do a 10 minute blitz once a day when I go through the house and put everything back where it should be. 10 minutes isn't long but its surprisingly effective, especially as i start putting things where they belong when I am finished as I know I will just have to do it later if I don't. I do get that kids complicate a plan like that, but maybe get them in on it and they do their own 10 minute blitz with you and see who can do the most in the time available.
  • Chinkiri
    Chinkiri Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    I also do a 10 minute daily blitz. I have a home help come in to do a 'proper' clean for a couple of hours once a fortnight and when I 've left stuff to pile up, it takes me hours to tidy up so she can clean. I prefer now to keep things tidy which is also much nicer for me to come home to. The kids can also do their thing.
    re To Do Lists: I get the stress! I've stopped doing other than little To Do Lists, things I can actually manage. Creating good To Do Lists is a skill, an art you can work on! Sometimes I've only got one thing on it! The rest can wait! I may put one or two things on tomorrow's list, but no more!
  • readyornot1234
    readyornot1234 Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    With 3 kids all 5 years apart (youngest just finished college) and working full time plus, there was always so little time. All 3 played hockey through college. They played hockey all year round and other sports each season. It took me a bit to learn that no one cared if the dishes weren’t done right away or if the dust accumulated. Only I cared. I never once had a neighbor stop by and do a glove test. I am glad I stopped stressing about that and spent more time with the family. I have decided family and clutter go together. Realizing this made me less stressed and, as my family says, less “crazy”. I would buy bulk healthy snacks and through portions in containers and store them in a cooler in the car. The kids had many water bottles that were filled wherever we were. I also wish I had spent time on myself, maybe working out 3 or more days a week. I was always so tired. I didn’t realize that I would have had more energy if I had done so. Whatever you do, enjoy it because they eventually move out and then you get weirdly nostalgic.
  • LesIckaBod
    Options
    @dory_42, @chinkiri, @readyornot1234 Thanks all for your words of wisdom! Ironically, after planning for their events today, we got from the first (a dr's office visit) and while making my dinner I completely forgot about their evening activity until Mr. 7 wistfully said, "we're going to be late." At which point, we were already late, and I didn't see the point of getting them going again. Oops.

We'll try again Wednesday.
  • gore_melinda
    gore_melinda Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I cooked this on the stove top – very simple and easy to do… AMAZING soup.

Keto Tuscan Soup eatwell101.com/instant-pot-keto-tuscan-soup-recipe

Instant Pot Keto Tuscan Soup – Creamy and hearty, you’ll enjoy every spoonful of this Instant Pot Keto Tuscan Soup. Italian sausage, kale, sun-dried tomatoes, garlic, and onion are all simmered to perfection in a savory cream base. This Keto Tuscan soup tastes divine and it is unbelievably easy and effortless – anyone can make it! It’s comfort food at its best!
    Ingredients list for the Instant Pot Keto Tuscan Soup
    • 1 lb (450g) Hot Italian sausage, casings removed (or turkey sausage)
    • 1 large onion, chopped
    • 3 cloves garlic, minced
    • 1 teaspoon dried oregano
    • 1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes, drained and chopped
    • Salt and freshly ground black pepper
    • 6 cups low-sodium chicken broth
    • 1 bunch kale, leaves stripped and chopped
    • 3/4 cup heavy cream
    • 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan, for serving
    • Fresh chopped parsley, for serving
    1. Add Italian sausage to the insert of the Instant Pot and cook, breaking up with a wooden spoon, until sausage is lightly browned, about 3-5 minutes. Drain excess fat.
    2. Add garlic, onion, and oregano to the Instant Pot with the sausage meat. Cook, stirring constantly until onions have become translucent, about 2-3 minutes.
    3. Stir in chicken broth and sun-dried tomatoes; season with pepper, to taste.
    4. Cook the sausage soup.
    5. Stir in kale to the soup until wilted, about 1-2 minutes. Stir in heavy cream until heated through, about 1 minute; then adjust seasoning of the Tuscan sausage soup with salt and pepper, to taste. Serve immediately with fresh grated Parmesan and parsley. Enjoy!
    Notes: You can add cauliflower florets to the Instant Pot to make the Tuscan soup even more nutritive.

Nutrient summary can be found by looking up the page
  • am_change
    am_change Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    I would love a ten minute blitz to fix my home! I have a 3 year old and 7month old. There's a clip I've seen a few times on Facebook of a mum folding and putting clothes back in the drawers while a little one is simultaneously taking them out. That's my life! 🤣 🤣 🤣 Today as I put clothes away my daughter hid all 26 pieces of an alphabet puzzle in different places around the house
    . As I then hunted them down she took all of her clothes back out to look for one dress. Cushions constantly off to make dens and castles, things everywhere and now the baby's adding to the mess by getting food everywhere weaning aaaaagh!

My resolution for this year is to be productive. I can procrastinate and feel my to do list is never ending. But also I want to balance this with being realistic aims and expectations.
    I want to lower my carbon footprint and use less single use plastic.
    I want to establish a routine that allows me to eat well and exercise regularly.
  • yellobird13
    yellobird13 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    What are everyone’s thoughts on cheat days? I’m thinking of eating at maintenance or slightly over every Saturday - to avoid wearing my willpower out, which always seems to happen. Also torn about whether to count a cheat day as a pass day or not - I guess if it’s planned and if I track/exercise it would technically not be one...
  • Impala007
    Impala007 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    @yellobird13 I don’t see anything wrong if you have set a calorie limit for that day higher than the rest of the week and adhere to it. Everyone sets their own calorie limits and if yours happens to be, for example, 2000 instead of 1500 for Saturday then that is what it is.
  • pridesabtch
    pridesabtch Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't call it a cheat day. You aren't "cheating" you are just adapting your plan to fit your life.
  • LesIckaBod
    Options
    @yellobird13 Interesting question about higher calorie days. Is this what they call calorie cycling? I think planning one is probably a good idea, using @impala007's idea to track the calories and keep them under a certain higher amount.

I've found myself thinking recently that the problem with counting pass days is that if I go over my daily calorie goal, I will have lost my extrinsic motivation to restrict calories. So, if I go over by 50 calories, why not go over by 1500? The barn door would be wide open to eating all I can cram in, because why not, the day is already a "pass". (My little demon is talking here!)

A planned higher calorie day might help avoid that problem. Over the course of the week, some of my days are quite far below my goal, and some are right at the goal. Looking at the average of the week would give me more calories to spend periodically.

I'm still working through this idea myself. I'm curious to hear what others might have to say!
  • yellobird13
    yellobird13 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    @lalabank, @LesIckaBod, @pridesabtch. Thanks everyone for weighing in. I agree it kind of depends on how one looks at it. I think I’ll stick to the challenge I set myself for this month, but will “schedule” my two remaining pass days. If this works well, I might incorporate one day a week with an elevated calorie goal into next month’s challenge!
  • Dory_42
    Dory_42 Posts: 3,587 Member
    Options
    I'd be interested to hear @RangerRickL weigh in on this discussion.

I occasionally allow myself a higher calorie day for various reasons, but they don't always equal a pass day for me.
    Reasons that would not be a pass day in my way of working include if I have had a number of days that were lower than normal and I balance out with a higher budget on one day so over the accumulated days the average is within my range. Another reason would include if I am feeling very run down and I give myself a bigger budget to boost my energy levels. This is normally when I have been pushing harder than normal at training or working harder than usual and I am burning more than normal. I don't generally consume exercise calories as I work better with a regular budget that takes my activity into account.
    Pass days are used if I go over my budget for that day, even if it is a higher than normal budget or if I have a treat day (I prefer this term to cheat day) where I either don't log or don't set a limit.

One of the things I like about this challenge is how it allows us to find a system that works for us, but rewards consistency within that system. Just because a system works for me, does not mean it suits anyone else.
  • KCJen
    KCJen Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone, I am a little late joining the January group, but I am glad to see UAC is still active and going strong.