Menopausal belly tyre

Options
Hello, am
54 and 4 years post menopause. Am on HRT and nutritional supplements. Do 3 x weight sessions plus at least 1 session cardio, since August 19.
How do I lose the 10kg? Am within normal body weight range?
What’s your thoughts on lower carb in menopause.
Need to be careful around cortisol and not raise it too much, so exercise in morning.
Thanks in advance!!

Replies

• PearlGrey
    PearlGrey Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Hi Kathy. I'm 2 years post menopause, not on HRT, and doing 3 weight training sessions a week too. I've found through logging food intake and regular weigh ins that my maintenance calories are approx 200 fewer than they were pre menopause, so a very low margin between loss/maintain/gain. For reference, I was weight training 3 times a week pre menopause and walking for at least 60 minutes a day. I ceased walking 6 months ago when I became a full time carer. Personally, I avoid all added sugar, refined flour (cakes, biscuit (I'm British) and limit fruit intake to curb sugar cravings. If I eat a 99% wholesome diet with lean meats and plenty of vegetables it makes it far easier to stick to my recommended calorie intake. I hope someone else here can give you some expert advice on lower carbs and cortisol. Good luck in your goal, I wish you sucess.
  • got2bjb
    got2bjb Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Walk Walk Walk! Found any strenuous exercise will increase Cortisol Hormone! start out with 10 min of a brisk walk step it up for another 10 minutes walk normal for 5min (Cool Down). 6 Days a week with one day off. Next week or when U feel ready try to add in 10min of elliptical Bike, 3rd week add in resistance training 30 Min. The key point is not to stress out your body!!!!! I cross fitted for 2 Years and ended up with more belly fat than what I started out with. Now 71lbs down!
  • ladyzherra
    ladyzherra Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I am not menopausal but getting close to perimenopausal and menopause is an issue that I care about, in terms of educating myself. I have already learned quite a bit from Christiane Northrup, in her book The Wisdom of Menopause. I would recommend picking up this book, or really any book, that centers on this topic because knowledge is power.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Hi, I will be 56 in a month and in menopause for the past 4 years. Please remember cortisol is an important steroidal hormone that does much more than 'store fat around your tummy.' It is crucial for blood sugar control, immune system health, lowering inflammation, controls salt and water balance and blood pressure, and influences memory formation.
    You can find out more on www.yourhormones.info/hormones/cortisol
    I found in my own case I do much better on a low carb food plan, mainly fresh proteins and veggies. It's easier to eat within my limits and helps cut any cravings. You may find LC will also help lessen night sweats or hot flashes.
  • bees0knees
    bees0knees Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

For me, increasing muscle mass and cardio has been helpful for mitigating against “belly roll”.
    I had to stop exercise for a few months and oh-boy, I’ve got quite the jelly-roll. 😝

As for hot flashes, eliminating dairy has done the trick for me. If I have milk, ice-cream, yogurt,
    cream, most cheeses, etc. I have flashes and massive sweating. Butter does not bother me.

• got2bjb
    got2bjb Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I literally do cardio & weight resistant training 6 days a week. Mind my food intake, Drink lots of water. And I can grab everything around my belly into a ball! Ok, so i've lost about 76lbs. Belly fat with extra skin? Is it curable at age 50? Any ideas? everything From nutritionists to trainers i'm doing exactly what I need to do. Wondering if there is extra skin and can it recuperate?
  • bees0knees
    Options
    got2bjb wrote: »
    . . . Wondering if there is extra skin and can it recuperate?

We lose skin elasticity as we age - ☹️
    I’ve read that collagen and hyaluronic acid (oral) “may” help increase skin elasticity.

BTW, congratulations on your weight loss. 🎉

• bees0knees
    Options
    Here’s a study that says Collagen supplement, Vit. C, Zinc, Biotin & other nutrients increased skin elasticity. It looks like the study is for a certain brand, but guess any Collagen supplement could work.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6835901/

Personal Anecdote - I take a Hyaluronic Acid supplement and it helps tremendously with dry skin and helps reduce my wrinkles.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    edited February 2020
    Options
    You can find out more about autophagy, (Nobel prize winning studies 2016.) Fasting helps set up your body to 'recycle' unneeded protein components - breaks down old cells and extra skin, etc. (simplified version)
    More info: https://accordnutrition.com/autophagy-loose-skin/ btw, just ignore the offers to sell some supplement (totally unnecessary).... what is needed is 'NOT EATING', the links to the studies are what I really wanted to point out.

https://ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6121946/