Low blood sugar triggering migraines

fknlardarse
fknlardarse Posts: 210 Member
I was wondering if anyone has experienced the same thing or any advice please. I’ve been low carb since August though been off plan a bit over Xmas so might have undone my fat adaptation.
But I’ve added intermittent fasting into the mix and I’m finding it sometimes triggers a really bad migraine. I think it’s the low blood sugar. I like intermittent fasting but won’t do it if it causes migraines as I had to leave work it was so bad.
Has anyone found a way around this? I think if I get really properly fat adapted it should actually help with migraines? But I thought I was.
Thank you

Replies

• tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Try having fat during your fasting window (like coconut oil) - this should still keep insulin levels low and give you the benefits of fasting, but since it's fueling your fat-adapted body it may keep the migraines away.

Also, make sure you are getting plenty of sodium/electrolytes while fasting and it isn't those being low rather than blood sugar.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    I wouldn’t assume low blood sugar without testing it.
    My guess is sodium deficiency
  • rmac18
    rmac18 Posts: 185 Member
    Define low blood sugar. I routinely eat only in the evening and will typically have BG in the 80s during the day but don’t correlate that with migraines. If BG is below 70 I’d be concerned and probably eat something to raise it as a T2D.
  • fknlardarse
    fknlardarse Posts: 210 Member
    Thank you that’s all really helpful. I don’t know how to check my blood sugar and I’m not diabetic so I’m a bit clueless on what it should be so that’s a really interesting point about not assuming it’s low blood sugar. I only drank water, no broth, last time as I was at work and hadn’t taken anything with me (just for ease) so I’ll try drinking broth next time with a bit of fat in it and think about my electrolytes.
    Thank you!
  • megsybeth
    megsybeth Posts: 23 Member
    I think you need to play around with what works for you. What I describe as “feeling low blood sugar” - light headed, anxious, headache but not dehydrated, weak to exhausted - can happen during IF, especially if I exercise. I agree with going for a very high fat snack. For me a bulletproof coffee or a keto shake works pretty fast.

I have a lot of experience with nutrient deficiencies from prior medical conditions and the urgent, painful need for nutrition is very different from a deficiency. It shouldn’t be ignored and it’s not about “getting comfortable with hunger”.

A lot of information on keto and IF is very generalized and not necessarily based on research on women or taking into account where in a cycle/stage of life we might be. Not sure if sex is a factor for you, but it is for me.

I would make really gentle, slow moves in extending fasting times.
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    I hate to say it, only because I get attacked pretty frequently when I do, but women experience a much higher percentage of negative side effects from IF. They also experience fewer benefits from it. Low-carb usually is beneficial for those who suffer migraines. I have had only one in 7ish years, and it was because I went off plan and was eating a SAD again for a couple months. Having a migraine again reminded me that I no longer had them. Kicked me right back into gear.

So, stop the IF and just eat more frequently. See if that helps. I bet it will.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,948 Member
    FIT_Goat wrote: »
    I hate to say it, only because I get attacked pretty frequently when I do, but women experience a much higher percentage of negative side effects from IF. They also experience fewer benefits from it. Low-carb usually is beneficial for those who suffer migraines. I have had only one in 7ish years, and it was because I went off plan and was eating a SAD again for a couple months. Having a migraine again reminded me that I no longer had them. Kicked me right back into gear.

So, stop the IF and just eat more frequently. See if that helps. I bet it will.

Yeah. I had headaches with IF and weakness and agitation. My family usually would beg me to go eat something. So now I do my coffee. Yes there's creamer. It's not true fasting, true. But I can wait to eat until my window. With no headaches.

@fknlardarse This is a late question. So why are you doing IF? I continue do it because I like to eat most of my calories later in the day. It's a mechanism to make sure that happens and I don't go over. As long as I have my coffee in the am, I can go until late in the afternoon or evening before eating so I can have my bedtime snack. There's nothing I hate more than going to bed with a hungry tummy. So that's why I IF. Or my version of it anyway. My point is that you need to weigh the benefits against the cost. As FIT_Goat said, some people just can't do hardcore IF without their head trying to kill them. So if the tricks given in this thread aren't helping, you might just be one of those unluckies. I personally chose to forgo the splitting headache, tireds, and the homicidal rage with my cheat. :smirk: Am I getting full IF benefits? Dunno. Probably not. But I'm reaching my goal which is to maintain weightloss. Anyway, check your "why" and then adapt your protocol to make things work for you. HTH.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Certainly could be an electrolyte issue. The other possible thing is altering your IF window so you eat earlier.