Snacks

Options
jessetfan
jessetfan Posts: 373 Member
This isn't a question of what I can have, but rather a question of if it's okay to get most of my calories from snacks rather than meals. I'm snacking on things like dried sausages, cheese, beef jerky, and lunch meat.

I'd rather pick throughout the day and not necessarily stick to a three meals each day schedule. Some days I might eat three meals while others I don't feel like breakfast or lunch but will grab a cheese stick before I go to work out. I know that I could group these into meals, and sometimes I do, but I'm just wondering if I'm going to throw off anything with a low carb eating plan by eating this way.

Replies

• Megan_smartiepants1970
    Megan_smartiepants1970 Posts: 39,791 Member
    Options
    Sure as long as you are counting calories it doesn't really matter how you eat them...you can also change your diary to just snacks if you would like ...
  • fknlardarse
    fknlardarse Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Jason Fung has some interesting stuff to say about ‘when’ you eat, the effect of insulin etc and that it’s better not to snack all day but I think if it works for you and you enjoy it then it’s all good. And your insulin response will be very low anyway eating lchf.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    Even for olympic level athletes meal timing shows very little change in performance...if I remember right, it was less than 3%...so if a top level athlete can't get much from meal timing, neither can the average person...unless you have diabetes or other underlying metabolic issues, you should just eat on whatever schedule makes it easiest for you to stick to your overall food goals.
  • ploomka
    ploomka Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Of course do what’s right for you, but there are interesting studies about snacking and digestion health and gut bacteria. Good overview here: https://health.usnews.com/health-news/blogs/eat-run/2014/01/28/how-grazing-affects-your-digestive-function
  • Sylphadora
    Sylphadora Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I'm not a fan of snacking because I do intermittent fasting, but if you are more of a grazer and feel like eating this way will help you comply with your plan, I'd do it but still try to stick to an eating window, 8 hours tops.
  • Just_Eric
    Just_Eric Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    If you'd like to stay hyperinsulenemic because your'e eating 20 times per day, sure.