Tiredness, DOMs, late 40s

Options
HBMairi
HBMairi Posts: 84 Member

Recently started back into exercise, and finding that after exercise I’m worn out and get DOMs much more easily than I used to. I’ve 2 stone to lose, but why is my body finding it so hard nowadays? Am easing myself into it, not overdoing it and doing way less than I used to when I was into fitness before? Is it an age thing?

Replies

• Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    I'm 45 and I find that any time I do a new exercise I end up with DOMS, but it usually goes away after the first 2-3 workouts. I think it's just moving my body in ways it isn't used to.
  • catfish72601
    catfish72601 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Same here! After a strength workout my body is sore for 3 days straight!
  • tariperri
    tariperri Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Any ideas on supplements to help for
    Menopause symptoms
    Energy
    Focusing
    Anxiety
  • cassielee8370
    cassielee8370 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have been lifting heavier during my Lauren Simpson program (week 5 of 6 POWER BOOTY) and i am feeling exceptionally sore and fatigued... I work out x 4 days lifting and 1 x day cardio, work full time and have a 4.5yr old. The struggle is real. I have tried foam roll-out and epsom salt baths and take BCCA's , any more tips?
  • kzzr
    kzzr Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I love getting DOMs, then I know I'm putting my muscles under tension. I take magnesium in tablet form and I use baths salts when I'm feeling really sore. BCAA's are great, I take them intra-workout, if you can get in a cold pool or the beach that's a great way to reduce swelling. On my rest days I like to walk-it-out, do yoga, and I've just discovered the foam roller, that thing rocks!

But give it time, when ever you return to training you will get DOMs more, it will get easier. I do think age plays a part unfortunately, my joints hate me more than when I was younger.

If you're fatigued, talk to a trainer or a professional about your calorie intake, I always thought that less calories mean't more weight lost, but I was tired ALL the time and struggled to stay active, now that I'm on 1800 calories I can pump out a 90 min weightlifting session and still do everything a working mum needs to do.

Good luck with the journey