Diabetes & low carb - my progress so far

Hi All,

I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes 5 years ago and within 12 months I had started taking Metformin, my glucose level plateaued but then started to increase and as a result my Metformin dosage was also increased.

Fast forward to August 2019 with my glucose levels increasing again, my diabetes practitioner gave me a couple of options, either start taking additional medication or diet.

She suggested a low carb diet and I have to say I haven’t looked back since. Yes, it was difficult to get used to, I had to pretty much plan every meal and eating out or just grabbing a quick lunch proved to be a challenge at times. Today I had a routine practitioner appointment and over the last 5 months I’ve lost 22 pounds, my glucose HbA1c has dropped from 8.5 to 6.7% and we agreed to reduce my metformin dosage by half.

My experience of Low Carb has been really positive, I don’t feel I’m on a diet anymore, it’s just my way of eating.

For those of you out there with type 2 diabetes, it’s working for me!

Paul

Replies

• kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Love stories like this. Kudos!
  • DianaElena76
    DianaElena76 Posts: 1,241 Member
    That's fantastic!
  • Shannonigans84
    Shannonigans84 Posts: 693 Member
    That's wonderful! I bought a meter to track as I'm teetering on the edge of pre-diabetes.
  • weatherking2019
    weatherking2019 Posts: 943 Member
    Good for you! So happy for you!
  • bacpath
    bacpath Posts: 326 Member
    Thank you Paul. Very inspiring. Reading these posts I see I have lots to learn. I had my macros calculated and came up with 100g CHO. I guess I need to move that lower. Currently 35% Cho and Protein and 30% Fat. Any suggestions, gratefully appreciated. Best, Bev
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    2t9nty wrote: »
    Low Carb/Keto has been amazing for me in terms of the glucose level management. I went off metformin completely and the last 3 A1C's have all been in the mid 5's.

Ahoy! How low had your A1c dropped when you quit Metformin?
  • herblovinmom
    herblovinmom Posts: 351 Member
    edited February 2020
    I want to jump in and ask a question for all you A1c testers out there. My endocrinologist just recently had my hemoglobin a1c checked along with my thyroid panel. Why would my doctor want to check this if I’m not diabetic or even pre diabetic. She didn’t mention it to me 6 months ago. I do remember in the past year she had checked my sugars/glucos as well as cortisol and determined my levels are good in those areas. Is there thing else the a1c test might be good for besides determining diabetes. Forgive my ignorance.
    Edited to add info:
    In January 2019 while testing my sugar she also did test my a1c and it was 5.4% before any diet/lifestyle changes. 5.4 is within normal range. Is it just standard to test yearly for non diabetics 🤷🏼‍♀️ I have an appointment next week and I can talk to her about the reasons then. Thanks for info you can share with me.
  • nrs101364
    nrs101364 Posts: 343 Member
    Who Should Get an A1C Test, and When?
    Testing for diabetes or prediabetes:
    Get a baseline A1C test if you’re an adult over age 45—or if you’re under 45, are overweight, and have one or more risk factors for prediabetes or type 2 diabetes:
    https://www.cdc.gov/diabetes/managing/managing-blood-sugar/a1c.html

herblovinmom-found this on the CDC website. Definitely ask your doctor at the next visit though!
  • bacpath
    bacpath Posts: 326 Member
    Agree- it’s often checked as part of a routine check up if you have any risk factors for T2, even age 😊
  • herblovinmom
    @nrs101364 and @bacpath
    I believe my only risk factor is that I’m over weight. I didn’t see thyroid disorder as a risk factor but I do have an autoimmune disease. 🤷🏼‍♀️ I guess I’ll find out next week. Thanks guys.
  • herblovinmom
    I got my lab results back in my health portal. My a1c is 5.5% with eAg of 111. That percentage is up .1% despite being low carb and losing at least 20 pounds. I know it’s just an average but I kinda thought with diet and lifestyle changes that it would go down not up. I’m not in the pre diabetes range yet but it’s not far😞 I thought I was making progress towards healthy living and preventing disease.
    I’m disheartened...
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,572 Member
    I got my lab results back in my health portal. My a1c is 5.5% with eAg of 111. That percentage is up .1% despite being low carb and losing at least 20 pounds. I know it’s just an average but I kinda thought with diet and lifestyle changes that it would go down not up. I’m not in the pre diabetes range yet but it’s not far😞 I thought I was making progress towards healthy living and preventing disease.
    I’m disheartened...

You might have actually been lower. I am not sure of the specifics with this, but there is some standard deviation associated with this test and a 5.5 really means there is a 95% chance that the real a1c is between two numbers. I was discouraged once with something like this, and the doctor told me the two numbers were effectively the same. We want the test to be more precise than it really is.

If you are doing the right things and have lost some weight, that is all good. The numbers will come around. Don't be discouraged. Just dropping some weight is going to be good for you in a variety of ways.
  • nrs101364
    nrs101364 Posts: 343 Member
    I’m disheartened...

Agree-also there are differences between the different labs that run the tests. Keep doing what you're doing you're going in the right direction!!

I spent months on tests for my blood platelets only to finally have a doc determine it was because of the labs doing my blood. He ran the tests several different times over many months and got different numbers than my primary doc got.