How did you configure your MyFitbessPal for Keto?

Options
Kanyenke
Kanyenke Posts: 4 Member
I just installed the app because I need more calorie counting for my keto diet.

So you have any special setting configured? (I adjusted the macros section to 75 fat - 20 prot - 5 carbs for instance

Replies

• tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    Mine is open so you are welcome to look...it's 194 protein, 53 carb, and 47 fat.

If you are doing keto for weight loss, then there's no reason to restrict protein, just restrict carbs.

If you are doing keto for neurological reasons then it's been a few years, but I believe the ratio is calculated at the calorie level, not the grams level, so your current ratio is almost 7:1 while for epilepsy the goal is 4:1 - you could up your protein to 37g and still get the 4:1 ratio.
  • Sylphadora
    Sylphadora Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    5% carbs, 55% fat and 40% protein, which for my 2,000-cal allowance is 25 g carbs, 122 g fat and 200 g protein. I'd set the carbs even lower but MFP won't let me go below that. I don't really try to stick to that ratio, though. I only care about not eating carbs. I actually eat over 122 g fat almost every day
  • Kanyenke
    Options
    Awesome people thanks!
  • OntheMorrow
    OntheMorrow Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Kanyenke wrote: »
    I just installed the app because I need more calorie counting for my keto diet.

So you have any special setting configured? (I adjusted the macros section to 75 fat - 20 prot - 5 carbs for instance

I'm going to be configuring mine the same as you. There have been people on here that said you don't need to restrict your proteins for Keto, but they're mistaken from what I've researched. Having too much protein can result in the same problem as eating carbs when you're trying to stay in ketosis and make your body burn fat stores. I can't explain it very well myself, but if you look up Dr. Ken Berry on youtube, he does a series of videos specifically about Keto and Intermittent fasting that are great.
  • herblovinmom
    herblovinmom Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    My macro goals are 10% carbs 65% fat and 25% protein for about 1300 calories a day. I’m not technically keto as I eat more carbs than recommend but I am low carb, sugar free (most of the time 🤦🏼‍♀️) gluten free and mostly grain free as well. I used Maria Emmerich keto calculator. I tend to eat closer to 1500 calories as well.
    Gotta have goals though 😁👍
  • Kanyenke
    Options
    My macro goals are 10% carbs 65% fat and 25% protein for about 1300 calories a day. I’m not technically keto as I eat more carbs than recommend but I am low carb, sugar free (most of the time 🤦🏼‍♀️) gluten free and mostly grain free as well. I used Maria Emmerich keto calculator. I tend to eat closer to 1500 calories as well.
    Gotta have goals though 😁👍

Wow, are 1300 calories just too few?
  • herblovinmom
    herblovinmom Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    @Kanyenke
    That is set for sedentary. When I’m a bit more active I naturally eat more calories. I don't eat at the low end for any of my macros, I’m usually closer to 1500 calories, 85 grams of protein, 45 grams of carbs, unsure about fat, probably around 100 grams. I got plenty of fat so I just try to eat real food until satisfied. My hunger lowers and satiety raises the closer I am to my macros. I’m more focused on eating gluten free and abstaining from sugar.
  • KADC57
    KADC57 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    One keto calculator had me at 1010 calories a day which I knew was too low. Another put me at 1350, much like @Kanyenke, for a sedentary lifestyle. I am in recovery from major neck surgery and spinal cord compression but am slowly getting more active. I tried 20 grams of carbs per day for 3 months and was not losing any weight or getting into ketosis then over the holidays I went over about 10 to 20 grams of carbs a day for almost a week and started to lose weight so have increased to 30 carbs. I am amazed at how many calories are in vegetables as that is where I keep going over 20 carbs. Still not getting into ketosis but as long as I am losing weight then it is working.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    KADC57 wrote: »
    One keto calculator had me at 1010 calories a day which I knew was too low. Another put me at 1350, much like @Kanyenke, for a sedentary lifestyle. I am in recovery from major neck surgery and spinal cord compression but am slowly getting more active. I tried 20 grams of carbs per day for 3 months and was not losing any weight or getting into ketosis then over the holidays I went over about 10 to 20 grams of carbs a day for almost a week and started to lose weight so have increased to 30 carbs. I am amazed at how many calories are in vegetables as that is where I keep going over 20 carbs. Still not getting into ketosis but as long as I am losing weight then it is working.

Did you mean to type carbs versus calories? If your vegetables have a lot of calories then you are eating the wrong vegetables.

• FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    edited February 2020
    Options
    I don't really log anymore. But, if I was, my settings would be something like:
    • Protein ~= 140 grams
    • Fat ~= 250 grams
    • Carbs ~= 0 grams (Sometimes just under 5g, always under 10g)
    • Fiber ~= 0 grams (Nearly always 0g, except trivial amounts from spice)

That is approx 20% protein and 80% fat. I frequently go over, by the last time I was logging, I was hitting those amounts on average over a week. I avoid all carbs, and fiber especially. I am not exactly sedentary. I have been eating about that much and lost an average of 0.7 lbs a week for the month of January. Of course, that is because I didn't have a great December, and I was up on the scale.