Newbie Here

sam_bonez
sam_bonez Posts: 463 Member
Hello all!

I am starting this program (again) to try and get better at running and I'm hoping to improve my time for the Fallen Officer 5k in Washington DC in May of 2020. I finally learned the proper way to run without killing my shins and I am currently on Week 1, workout #3. Complete honesty here....I only do about half of the workouts before I have to stop. I am trying not to overdo it with my shin problems, but I am hoping that by week 2 I can commit to the full workout!

Happy Running everyone :)

Replies

• emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,593 Member
    Have you been fitted at a running store for shoes? It might help with your shin issues. Definitely take the program as slow as you need to give your body time to adjust to the impact from running. I found that slowing down and proper shoes made a huge difference for me.
  • sam_bonez
    sam_bonez Posts: 463 Member
    I was fitted a few years ago for proper shoes, turns out that was only half my problem. The shoes are great (Ghost by Brooks) and have helped my knees! Turns out I had too hard of a heel strike when running and it was causing my shin splints. I found a youtube video how to run on my toes and I haven't had any problems since learning to run that way. Still taking it slow to be cautious, but I think I'm finally getting somewhere!
  • ladyzherra
    ladyzherra Posts: 438 Member
    Great goal! Keep up the good work! You can do it!