Living the Lifestyle~Wednesday February 19th

Options
podkey
podkey Posts: 5,075 Member
This is a thread for everyone. If you're new to GoaD, or to weight loss, your questions and comments are always welcome. If you're maintaining, or a long-term loser, your thoughts on the topic may be just what someone else needs to hear. If you're reading this, join in the discussion!

Each weekday, a new topic is offered up for discussion.

Monday-imastar 2 (Derrick)
Tuesday- myallforjcbill (Bill)
Wednesday- Podkey (Bob)
Thursday-Jimb376mfp (Jim)
Friday-misterhub (Greg)

Topic: Recording the Lifestyle Journey. Do you do it and how? Does it help?

Replies

• podkey
    podkey Posts: 5,075 Member
    edited February 2020
    Options
    Years ago I recorded events on my desk calendar including bike mileage and important happenings. Someone on these boards got me into using a bike journal online where I recorded activity,weather, wildlife, and daily events. It has become my daily journal. Daily weight on the calendar but so much more in the journal.Oh and with a cell phone or pocket camera I take photos too.
  • steve0mania
    steve0mania Posts: 2,941 Member
    Options
    I do jot down my weight every day in a notebook, and keep track of my runs. I also input my weight onto MFP. I like seeing the overarching trend.

Does it help or hurt? Meh, it's probably just neutral. I guess the one positive benefit is that I put a bit of thought into my weight at the beginning of every day?
  • beachwoman2006
    beachwoman2006 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    I still use my spreadsheet to record daily weights. In addition, I have a column for comments where I make notes of things that might have had an impact on whether I gained or lost. Or if it's just something I need to remember. I have spreadsheets set up for every year since 2012 so I also go back to see where I was at this time a year (or two or three) ago.

Honestly, I'm now only weighing (and recording) once a week. That's what I did when I was in losing mode with WW and it worked so I decided to do it that way until I'm at least back to my official goal weight.

I also enter my weight on MFP because I like the little "feature" where they tell you what "you will weigh in X weeks if you keep doing things the way you are".
  • misterhub
    misterhub Posts: 6,193 Member
    Options
    Happy Scale to record my weight. MFP to record food. I will put my current weight into MFP every week or so.
  • myallforjcbill
    myallforjcbill Posts: 5,531 Member
    Options
    I used to keep a monster spreadsheet to track my weight, pts etc. Now I use Happy Scale to track my weight which then loads into Garmin and MFP. I have been thinking of keeping a health journal similar to what I did when I first went into chronic pain management to keep tabs on overall health progress and issues. I found it helped with the emotional side of the journey and made me less reactive.
  • cakeman21k
    cakeman21k Posts: 5,848 Member
    Options
    I still use the WW app to track my intake and exercise, for the past 5 years or so I have also been keeping a journal, kind of a diary which includes my daily weight, morning blood sugar, number of daily steps and consecutive days of tracking as well as any high lights or low lights of my life
  • imastar2
    imastar2 Posts: 5,942 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily and have since starting with my 1st WI June 10th 2010 @ 400.8 lbs on MFP then on November 25th 2010 started on line with WW. Lost 100 lbs on WW so the journey continues on. As things go some ups and downs but journaling on daily very rarely missing a day unless on a trip.

So yes this has helped and enabled me to look back and check data periodically which helps me to remember what's happened at one time or another.
  • gadgetgirlIL
    gadgetgirlIL Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    Happy Scale and MFP. Exercise stuff is in a spreadsheet because that works best for me. For example, I keep track of my biking miles individually for each bike I own, then combine to see what my overall total is for the year.
  • Al_Howard
    Al_Howard Posts: 7,910 Member
    Options
    WW, MFP, and my Excel sheets.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,466 Member
    Options
    I haven’t had a record since I left WW. I did hang on to a couple of those books that little book that recorded my weight when I made Lifetime. It’s about the only thing I have.