Living the Lifestyle, Friday 02/21/2020

Options
misterhub
misterhub Posts: 6,193 Member
This is a thread for everyone. If you're new to GoaD, or to weight loss, your questions and comments are always welcome. If you're maintaining, or a long-term loser, your thoughts on the topic may be just what someone else needs to hear. If you're reading this, join in the discussion!

Each weekday, a new topic is offered up for discussion.

Monday-imastar 2 (Derrick)
Tuesday- myallforjcbill (Bill)
Wednesday- Podkey (Bob)
Thursday-Jimb376mfp (Jim)
Friday-misterhub (Greg)

Topic: Salt Usage

You sit down to eat a dish of food. Someone hands you the salt shaker. Your response is:

1. “No thanks. The salt that is already in the dish is sufficient.”

2. “Let me taste it first and see if it needs more salt. But, thank you.”

3. “Thanks. Most food needs a bit more salt.”

4. “Sure, you very seldom can get too much salt for me.”

5. “I emptied the salt shaker. Do you have another one I can use?”

Replies

• myallforjcbill
    myallforjcbill Posts: 5,531 Member
    Options
    In this house we generally taste first and salt & pepper if needed, so #2. I have tried to be more salt conscious using MFP, and have a heard time with the amount of salt in most processed foods. 2300mg is challenging and 1500 seems impossible. I still focus on it and try to balance it out the best I can. But I fail most of the time to get under the number.
  • gadgetgirlIL
    gadgetgirlIL Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    My DH will salt things without tasting them. It drives me crazy.

I always taste a dish first before deciding if more salt is warranted, thus #2 is my choice. The only two times that I add salt before doing this is 1) when I make my morning omelet as I already know how much salt and pepper is needed and 2) when I eat hardboiled eggs

I don't worry about my total sodium intake as my blood pressure is always on the low side.

• beachwoman2006
    beachwoman2006 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    I always taste before salting. I have a friend who I go out to dinner with quite often and the first thing he does is reach for the salt shaker. And then COMPLAIN because is food is too salty!
  • whathapnd
    whathapnd Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    I taste before salting.

I don't have issues with blood pressure, but I do find a lot of recipes call for too much salt for my taste, so I sometimes under-salt when cooking.
  • cakeman21k
    cakeman21k Posts: 5,848 Member
    Options
    for most things I taste before salting, but there are a handful of exceptions, as noted above hard boiled eggs, but also french fries (when I indulge in them) and popcorn. There are probably a few others.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,466 Member
    Options
    If I make frozen French fries I throw on a dash of salt when they come out of the oven. I put a dash of salt in my oatmeal everyday before I put it in the microwave. That’s about it.
  • podkey
    podkey Posts: 5,075 Member
    Options
    Always taste before salting. French chefs might commit harikari on ya if you salt their dish. I do like a bit of salt sprinkled lightly on some things.
  • Jimb376mfp
    Jimb376mfp Posts: 6,231 Member
    Options
    I automatically use salt on my hard boiled eggs. Habit? I will taste first to do less.
    Used to use salt substitutes but hardly used it soI threw it out. My BP is good so I don’t worry about salt.