Slow weight loss!

Options
xxzenabxx
xxzenabxx Posts: 935 Member
edited February 2020 in Social Groups
How does everyone cope with slow weight loss?! I’m talking about 0.5 lb a week. I recently came back from a 10 day vacation and gained 4 lbs. Now I feel like I undid all my hard work for the past 4-5 weeks. Some fat and water weight. At this rate I won’t see much progress which makes it harder for me to stick to it. Should I ditch the scale? Go for a 500 calorie deficit to compensate for periods of maintenance? I guess I was feeling pretty positive until I saw the vacation weight gain. It’s not like I’m a big person! Some days I’m fine and other days I’m not. Any advice from others in the same situation would be appreciated.

Replies

• ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I'd give it a week before you decide it's a gain of 4 lbs. That's like... 14,000 calories over in 10 days. O_O

Since I've seen you on the boards in places, I believe you've got some of the same conditions I do that are SUPER FOND OF WATER WEIGHT GAINZ, so give yourself a week back in your normal routine for your body to stop freaking out and holding onto "JUST IN CASE" water. If I so much as take an over-night road trip somewhere that doesn't even involve EATING anything, my body will hold onto an extra 5# of water weight for 5 days because I stepped out of line. >_<

Just carry on as you have been and I think that by the time you get through your next hormonal cycle, you'll find that you're exactly where you were supposed to be - before the trip messed with you.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    My last cut it took me 6 months to lose like 12lbs, so yea very slow. It really sucked to be honest. During that time I went on two small vacations and had a few diet breaks where I gained a bit too. So a bit of up and down. I just treated it like a new start weight, kept up with my deficit and eventually got to goal. I went through periods of quicker weight loss (1lb per week) and slower (0.25lb per week) so still an average of 0.5lb over time. I found the quicker weeks helped motivate me then I didn't mind coasting a bit once I saw results, if that makes sense.

Right now I am maintaining/recomping after losing some baby weight. Talk about slow. I am soooooo tempted to cut down it's not even funny. But trying to keep my eye on the prize and look at the greater good.

You didn't undo your work with the vacation, most likely a lot of water and food weight. If you are close to goal definitely start focusing less on the scale, more on photos, mirror, measurements, how clothes fit as well as workout performance. That way you aren't so dependent on the scale, just make sure over time the trend is in the right direction.

Good luck!

• StatChicBayes
    StatChicBayes Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    This ^^^^

OP I know how you feel! I am within my last 5 pounds to goal, and it feels like every time I have a meal out or go on vacation I take 2 steps backwards. Today Happy Scale told me I will reach my goal weight in 1 year; last Friday it was by March 20! I just have to keep reminding my self to not dwell on the scale as my weight up/downs with water fluctuations are too noisy with a 0.5 lb/week weight loss rate! I am also tempted to just cut calories/up exercise and be done with it, but then I would still have to learn how to maintain and work on recomp to reduce BF, so I am just trying to be patient and focus on the things @sardelsa mentions (workout performance, strength gains, mirror, clothing, etc). Loosing slow is so much harder!!!

Give it a little time - as others have side it could be water/food retention (flying/driving all day is also a big source of water retention for me) and hopefully it should come off quickly (mine is usually within a week if it is water/food)
  • Lizzyincharge
    Lizzyincharge Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I totally agree! I lost 1.5lbs in 4 weeks then gained 1 back over a 4 day trip. :(
  • xxzenabxx
    Options
    Honestly, I'd give it a week before you decide it's a gain of 4 lbs. That's like... 14,000 calories over in 10 days. O_O

Since I've seen you on the boards in places, I believe you've got some of the same conditions I do that are SUPER FOND OF WATER WEIGHT GAINZ, so give yourself a week back in your normal routine for your body to stop freaking out and holding onto "JUST IN CASE" water. If I so much as take an over-night road trip somewhere that doesn't even involve EATING anything, my body will hold onto an extra 5# of water weight for 5 days because I stepped out of line. >_<

Just carry on as you have been and I think that by the time you get through your next hormonal cycle, you'll find that you're exactly where you were supposed to be - before the trip messed with you.

Yes I also feel like we have similar body types that hold onto water weight! I guess I’ll give it another week!! I went on a train journey then a 9 hour coach trip and on Sunday came home from a 4 hour car journey. It must be water retention because I know I didn’t go crazy with food! I also walked a lot because we went to Holland.
  • xxzenabxx
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    My last cut it took me 6 months to lose like 12lbs, so yea very slow. It really sucked to be honest. During that time I went on two small vacations and had a few diet breaks where I gained a bit too. So a bit of up and down. I just treated it like a new start weight, kept up with my deficit and eventually got to goal. I went through periods of quicker weight loss (1lb per week) and slower (0.25lb per week) so still an average of 0.5lb over time. I found the quicker weeks helped motivate me then I didn't mind coasting a bit once I saw results, if that makes sense.

Right now I am maintaining/recomping after losing some baby weight. Talk about slow. I am soooooo tempted to cut down it's not even funny. But trying to keep my eye on the prize and look at the greater good.

You didn't undo your work with the vacation, most likely a lot of water and food weight. If you are close to goal definitely start focusing less on the scale, more on photos, mirror, measurements, how clothes fit as well as workout performance. That way you aren't so dependent on the scale, just make sure over time the trend is in the right direction.

Good luck!

Wow, you’re way more patient than me. I’m impressed! Still 12 lbs is progress too 👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼 Maybe I should have 5 days a week in a 500 calorie deficit to compensate for periods of more food/maintenance? It seems like that’s what worked for you too.
  • cayenne_007
    cayenne_007 Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    I think it's tough when you don't have much to lose - I like using a 'Happy Scale' app which tracks my average weight instead of freaking out so much over the daily ups & downs. I'd be reluctant to cut calories too much, I stayed at 1200 day and didn't eat back my exercise calories - I was so exhausted and my hair started thinning. I find that I'm having to just be patient and enjoy the journey. I've been on here almost a year at this point and I'm down 12 lbs... I've had ups & downs, but the overall trend is down (except for Nov/Dec, but I had a heck of a good time :smiley: )
  • xxzenabxx
    Options
    I think it's tough when you don't have much to lose - I like using a 'Happy Scale' app which tracks my average weight instead of freaking out so much over the daily ups & downs. I'd be reluctant to cut calories too much, I stayed at 1200 day and didn't eat back my exercise calories - I was so exhausted and my hair started thinning. I find that I'm having to just be patient and enjoy the journey. I've been on here almost a year at this point and I'm down 12 lbs... I've had ups & downs, but the overall trend is down (except for Nov/Dec, but I had a heck of a good time :smiley: )

I still have 25 lbs to go so I don’t think it should be this slow. Don’t worry I’m not cutting calories so low ever again. Lesson learnt. I guess I’m not patient with the scale. I’m so used to the numbers going down quickly- it’s a mental struggle. Did it take you a year to lose 12 lbs?
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    xxzenabxx wrote: »
    sardelsa wrote: »

Good luck!

Wow, you’re way more patient than me. I’m impressed! Still 12 lbs is progress too 👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼 Maybe I should have 5 days a week in a 500 calorie deficit to compensate for periods of more food/maintenance? It seems like that’s what worked for you too.

Yea I wasn't in a rush especially since my main goal was/is body composition, plus the amount of work it took to put on that muscle during my bulk, I could not risk it even if that meant super slow losses.

Yea give it a try, I think small quick losses are fine (I mean, 1lb per week isn't even that fast either, unless you are very very short... for most it's still within a normal range) the key is to not feel deprived and go binge after, which obviously would be counterproductive for your progress. Only you know what will work for you!
  • cayenne_007
    cayenne_007 Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    xxzenabxx wrote: »

I still have 25 lbs to go so I don’t think it should be this slow. Don’t worry I’m not cutting calories so low ever again. Lesson learnt. I guess I’m not patient with the scale. I’m so used to the numbers going down quickly- it’s a mental struggle. Did it take you a year to lose 12 lbs?

Pretty close to it. I did tend to be a bit sporadic - sometimes I just need a break. I stay WAY away from the main threads and anyone that can lose 2lbs a week. It's just not feasible when you're on that last little bit. I'm 5'8", 42yo and wear a size 6 or 28 in jeans.... trying to get to a 4 & 27. I live in a really rural area with no gym access and an insane schedule - so I do lots of outdoor stuff to make up for it (and because it's just my life). I think I could've dropped it more quickly regularly going to the gym and being super strict about what I ate (but that's no fun for my fiance or his son) so I've been incorporating lifestyle changes that are sustainable.

• HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,975 Member
    edited February 2020
    Options
    Oh do I feel this one! I'm down to the last 10-12 pounds, and trying to push my fitness, and that combination means very slow losses. One high-sodium day or new workout routine can set me "back" the better part of a week (or more if it's workout based!), which gets really discouraging when losses are so small and slow to begin with.

That said, I've been using a trend app for a couple years now, and I know my overall progress - big drop (with some expected ups and downs) followed by a slight uptick "maintenance" period (not on purpose persay, but I think I just mentally and physically end up needing a break), and then, eventually it'll start dropping again.

It's all been very slow going for me, and I can certainly point to factors and reasons, most in my control, some not, that affect it. As long as I'm continuing downward, and don't gain (much) back, I'm okay with it (generally) but there are days I'm just like UGH!! lol.

The good thing is that the big drops have ended up in a leveling off period where I stay near the new "low end" by a couple pounds....so overall, grand scheme, that's a win, because that means when I finally DO reach goal, my habits and lifestyle will support staying there - just may take me longer to get there than some others.
  • superprincesskatie
    Options
    I'm very much finding this too. I'm doing 150-250 mins exercise per week and I'm not on a strict diet per se but I am on 1,310 calories and pretty much always on or below target (inc. exercise). However on weekends I do go a bit above, and I guess this must be letting me down. I dropped 2kg, then put on put on .1 this week which isn't a lot but I was a lot stricter this week so it's annoying.

Has anybody tried Huel? I think I'm going to start it to eliminate the issues with eating lunch at work
  • xxzenabxx
    Options
    Oh do I feel this one! I'm down to the last 10-12 pounds, and trying to push my fitness, and that combination means very slow losses. One high-sodium day or new workout routine can set me "back" the better part of a week (or more if it's workout based!), which gets really discouraging when losses are so small and slow to begin with.

That said, I've been using a trend app for a couple years now, and I know my overall progress - big drop (with some expected ups and downs) followed by a slight uptick "maintenance" period (not on purpose persay, but I think I just mentally and physically end up needing a break), and then, eventually it'll start dropping again.

It's all been very slow going for me, and I can certainly point to factors and reasons, most in my control, some not, that affect it. As long as I'm continuing downward, and don't gain (much) back, I'm okay with it (generally) but there are days I'm just like UGH!! lol.

The good thing is that the big drops have ended up in a leveling off period where I stay near the new "low end" by a couple pounds....so overall, grand scheme, that's a win, because that means when I finally DO reach goal, my habits and lifestyle will support staying there - just may take me longer to get there than some others.

I just deleted my weight trending app because I realised I have a bad relationship with the scale. It’s a big step for me. I even stopped drinking water at night so I would have a lower weigh in and I would delay breakfast too. Not good. I’m glad your focusing on life style habits because that’s what matters in the long run.
  • jessstere
    jessstere Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    My weight loss has been very slow as well so far this past month and a half (1.6 lbs according to the new scale). I have increased my exercise levels which includes strength training, so I know I have gained muscle as well. Tomorrow I will be taking my measurements again to see if there was any change. I started to step on the scale each morning to just see what the patterns are with my weight loss. What I noticed is that the morning after my rest day ( I do 30 mins of yoga as my rest) that is when I see the scale move down. Then is slowly creeps back really slow on my other workout days. Could this be water weight/muscle growth as well?
  • Maggiemay1022
    Maggiemay1022 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    New here! I have about 13 pounds to lose and am not trying to go crazy with it. I am cutting calories by about 500/day and adding steps...I walk a lot for work. I have been hitting it for the past week with not much of a loss. Any advice?
  • Antiopelle
    Antiopelle Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    New here! I have about 13 pounds to lose and am not trying to go crazy with it. I am cutting calories by about 500/day and adding steps...I walk a lot for work. I have been hitting it for the past week with not much of a loss. Any advice?

Welcome!
    A 500/day cut seems like a lot, make sure you certainly do not go below 1200 in total.
    Good luck! 👍

• Maggiemay1022
    Options
    I'm not below 1200 after my calorie adjustment with exercise. I'm at 128 and my goal is 115 (I'm only 5'1") It's pretty much all in my waist & arms so once I hit the weight goal I will start a toning routine. I've been after these pounds for years!!! LOL!!!! Everyone , except my hubby, thinks I look tiny already, but I see every pound:(.
  • ShredWeek1
    ShredWeek1 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Jillian Michaels has a very short YouTube video on this...basically your body feels pretty healthy at this range and is going to be more reluctant to release more lbs (she says this with a lot more emphasis...) So, I guess the good news is that we're all pretty healthy, the less good news is cause of this our bodies need more time to adjust to changes in our habits.

BTW, I need some friend support...so please send me a friend request!
  • Maggiemay1022
    Options
    just friended you "Shred"...
  • ShredWeek1
    ShredWeek1 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Thank you!