Struggling

Options
I’m struggling to get back on to keto. I did it a couple years ago and had success. Then I stopped and gained back. I then went on medicine for migraines that took my appetite and lost a lot. I came off of those and gained back about 20 lbs. So now I’m back trying to keto. I’ve been trying to get back on for about a month now and I do okay for a couple days then find myself eating carbs. Not unhealthy food really just more carbs. I’m just struggling with the motivation to go back to full time keto.

Please help.

Replies

• adortiz1990
    adortiz1990 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    See that is what I was thinking, but I am afraid I won't see results and then I will give up.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    Are you ever really going to know unless you try?
  • adortiz1990
    adortiz1990 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    That's true. Thank you!
  • ari_s97
    ari_s97 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hi! I restated keto again and what I recommend is starting off small, looking at labels and trying to log everything you eat every day and most importantly support from family members/friends. This is what has been helping me these past three weeks :)
  • Mov3mor3
    Mov3mor3 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    You may have to get acclimated before worrying about the calories. 1 step at a time.
  • ploomka
    ploomka Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    After41 wrote: »
    You may have to get acclimated before worrying about the calories. 1 step at a time.

I agree. I cut sugar first, then alcohol (not 100%, but drastically reduced), then flour. Once I felt comfortable at each step, I added the next change. Then reduced carbs further, then started tracking calories, then started honing in on my macros. This staged process was very easy for me and has helped me to successfully maintain this WoE since June 2019 (keto since Nov 2019), leading to 77+ lbs lost so far. I only started adding light exercise in January of this year (60 lost with no exercise).

It may feel like you need to do everything now, or it will be too slow. But steady change and progress leads to long term consistency, which will help you lose way more in the long run than the up and down of starting extreme and losing momentum.
  • ploomka
    ploomka Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    One more note: perfection is a lie. Never and always sound great, but lead to an all or nothing mindset that can make me feel like if I fall down, I might as well stay down. I built in cheat meals and focused on my weekly numbers. This has helped me to keep going. At first I did cheats once per week, then once every other week. Now I save my cheats for special events.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    edited February 2020
    Options
    Deleted. Wrong board.
  • leanneellison1979
    leanneellison1979 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    i think everyone struggles at some point. the main thing is you know where you have gone wrong in the past and you know your weaknesses. Thats a great tip about recording things before you eat them. It also gives you time to notice what you are going to eat and maybe change your mind and you may then decide to not eat the carbs. One step at a time is fine and you will get there in the end. xx
  • nrs101364
    nrs101364 Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I am also struggling since the new year. Started in July 2019 and lost 100 lbs. Stalled in the past several weeks and I know I am eating more carbs (maybe 50 vs. 20) and am always a "hungry hippo". IF is more challenging and have NO motivation to work out. I have never been a gym rat or any kind of workout person, but I know that it will benefit me and tighten the areas (belly and arms) that need it most now. Any inspiration/ideas would be helpful.
  • rmac18
    rmac18 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    nrs101364 wrote: »
    I am also struggling since the new year. Started in July 2019 and lost 100 lbs. Stalled in the past several weeks and I know I am eating more carbs (maybe 50 vs. 20) and am always a "hungry hippo". IF is more challenging and have NO motivation to work out. I have never been a gym rat or any kind of workout person, but I know that it will benefit me and tighten the areas (belly and arms) that need it most now. Any inspiration/ideas would be helpful.

Hang in there Nrs. I’m sure you can get back on track after doing so well last year. I found that I hit a bit of a plateau this year as well. I haven’t increased carbs but I did lower my daily calorie goal by a few hundred calories and that helped. It’s certainly slower but I think that’s because I’m getting closer to GW. I don’t see raising carbs as a viable option for me from a BG or weight loss standpoint.
  • nrs101364
    nrs101364 Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Hang in there Nrs. I’m sure you can get back on track after doing so well last year. I found that I hit a bit of a plateau this year as well. I haven’t increased carbs but I did lower my daily calorie goal by a few hundred calories and that helped. It’s certainly slower but I think that’s because I’m getting closer to GW. I don’t see raising carbs as a viable option for me from a BG or weight loss standpoint.
    [/quote]

Thanks rmac18, you are an inspiration!