Exhausted after eating

AmyG1982
AmyG1982 Posts: 1,040 Member
Anyone else get exhausted after eating their first meal of the day?

I’ve been keto for months so it’s not keto flu. I do 16:8 intermittent fasting and for the last week when I have lunch (my first meal) I feel exhausted afterwards (similar to a sugar crash). I’ve been mostly eating salads with chicken and some other veggies/nuts/seeds and a couple TBSP of dressing. But that’s not anything different for me... it’s super annoying and kills my productivity

Today I even feel really nauseous, could be something I ate possibly (added some different ingredients today). Not sure what’s going on, I’ve been feeling great for months with way more energy until very recently.

Replies

• ploomka
    ploomka Posts: 308 Member
    That was exactly how I figured out I had a garlic allergy. I would get really sluggish and tired after I ate. Maybe consider an elimination diet to work through what might be causing issues.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    It could also be reactive hypoglycemia, you are releasing insulin as a result of eating and it's too much for the amount of carbs you consumed causing bg to drop temporarily.

You could try having something like a hard candy to offset that.

Or it could be low sodium and some extra salt might help.

Are you new to IF?

You really should talk to your doctor.
  • AmyG1982
    AmyG1982 Posts: 1,040 Member
    It could also be reactive hypoglycemia, you are releasing insulin as a result of eating and it's too much for the amount of carbs you consumed causing bg to drop temporarily.

You could try having something like a hard candy to offset that.

Or it could be low sodium and some extra salt might help.

Are you new to IF?

You really should talk to your doctor.

I’m not new to IF, I’ve been doing it off and on for years. Same with low carb. And I feel fine until I’m done eating, then it’s like 5-10 minutes and I’m crashing. I actually have a glucose monitor (I had gestational diabetes) so I might test my sugars just to see if it’s a blood sugar thing.

I’ve just recently started a little morning (fasted exercise) which is the only new thing since this started. I definitely will talk to my dr if it persists, was just curious if anyone else has experienced this.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,948 Member
    Try tracking electrolytes. Those in ketosis ALWAYS require more sodium. 3000-5000mg. It's part of the biological function of ketosis in the body. And since you said you added exercise, which depletes sodium too, some ketoade is worth a try. (Ketoade: 1/4 tsp salt, 8-12 oz water, water flavoring, optional dash or 2 of a potassium salt.) Drink it before and during the workout. It will feel like someone turned on another light bulb in a dim room for you within 15-30 minutes.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    O agree with watching the electrolytes. The need doesn’t diminish as you remain keto.
    If it’s not adequate, deficiency will just build
    https://www.virtahealth.com/blog/sodium-nutritional-ketosis-keto-flu-adrenal-function