5 Day Pouch Test Challenge

Options
jeremys132
jeremys132 Posts: 4 Member
I had bypass surgery in 2008 and I am glad that I did. I lost a bunch of weight and was feeling good. I gained it all back over the course of a few years. I remember feeling so good and loving my progress. Even though I gained it back I don't look like I used to.

Back to the point of this post. My eating is terrible. I'm ready for change again. Committed this time and ready to commit to the life long change. I am seeing if anyone here would like to do the 5 day pouch test together. I feel as a group we can do this with our support system vs on our own. Once we get a group together we'll pick a date to start and do it.

I'll create some sort of Google Doc to track our progress. Maybe even go as far as tracking weight on it and if we see any weight loss over the 5 days :)

Replies

• MindyMac51
    MindyMac51 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Did you try the 5-day yet? Even without a buddy, you can and should do it on your own and get restarted! Good luck!
  • tawny7
    tawny7 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I did te 5 Day Pouch test in June and it was exactly what I needed!! I had RNY on 2009 and lost a lot of weight. Throughout last year and the begining of this year I gained about 60 pounds. I have been able to get back in touch with hunger and fullness by doing the pouch test.

Even if there isn't a lot of people who respond to this you should do the pouch test by yourself! You can find encouragement here if you need it.

Good luck!!
  • nitabean47
    nitabean47 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I want to do this too, I have tried 2 times already and was not successful. I have a really stressful job, I think this lends to some of the explosive weight gain over the last 2 years.....but being able to eat at my desk has been taken away....heck being able to move from my desk will be taken soon!! (joke) Anyway I am trying to figure out a way to get it done. I read a lot online and was going to order the book....is it the same info or would it be worth ordering???? I also have major migraines, I think these are job related too. I am so desperate I am thinking of leaving my job to get myself on track...but then I wont have the retirement I hoped for or the fit healthy body well enough to travel with the funds!! I don't recall having this many decisions before I even did the surgery!!
  • ThintasticSpirit
    ThintasticSpirit Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I am giving this a try this week. I have a CT with contrast tomorrow so I'll be needing the "tummy calming" soup anyways! LOL
  • ThintasticSpirit
    ThintasticSpirit Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    So here is an update. I did the 5 day pouch test and discovered that my pouch definitely holds more than 1 cup of food when the food is light, soup, or lean. Definitely hungry without any sense of satiety. I also experienced dumping with every soup I had. Which makes us suspect that perhaps my stoma is failing. The upside is that the carb cravings are definitely less now, I am way more conscious of not drinking with meals, and I dropped 2# so maybe the 5DPT was the kick start I needed.
  • PDarnall
    PDarnall Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Where did you find the 5DPT info?
  • sunshinekaye
    sunshinekaye Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Just Google it on u tube. It is effective.
  • krisb1701d
    krisb1701d Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Anyone want to do this with me in the next week or two
  • kspart89
    kspart89 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I did the 5 day pouch test! It was something I definitely needed to do. I had RNY in 2007 at the age of 18 weighing 338. I had major complications but soon healed and was so happy...I was the only girl that couldn't gain the freshman 15 yet (think I could) eat whatever I wanted. My insurance changed and couldn't follow up. Had major vitamin deficiencies (still do but not as bad) and had learned the right habits or diet I should be following.
    Lowest weight 210. I now gain and lose the same 25 lbs over and over. I did the test and it showed me proper portions and protein intake and how to feel full again. Now I fight with myself...is it a low carb or diabetic diet or low fat diets that I need or all the above?! The test really showed me how I want to make my surgery a success, wanting my pouch not to fail. I get married next year and plan on having children (the weight gain scares me) and I want to be healthy to do this and feel good. After the test and much research I have cut my calories significant along with my carb intake and increased my exercise...so far good results! I recommend the 5 day test...it's a step in the right direction!!
  • kelly81771
    kelly81771 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Is anyone still active in this or interested in doing the 5 Day again?
  • bunny3269
    bunny3269 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I'm interested in doing the five day reset with someone. Thanks!
  • weezieweeks
    weezieweeks Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I tried this half-heartedly, for 2 days, but am thinking that I need to consider committing for five days after reading these posts. The website is www.5daypouchtest.com. There is also a Facebook page as well as other FB pages done by others.
  • sdeconda
    sdeconda Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I am on day 3 of my 5 day reset. Day one is the hardest-- clear liquids only-- but yesterday and today- better. I just ate my cream of chicken soup for lunch and i'm stuffed-- not feeling near the hunger today i did on day one. I even worked out yesterday even though i had very few calories in me.

My story- RYN GB in 2006- lost 160 lbs. Over the course of the past 5 years or so i gained 40 lbs back. We started the zone diet (LOVE IT--- IT WORKS for bypass!!) i lost 20 of my 40. I am doing the pouch reset because i had an EGD done last Friday by my bariatric provider (for my ulcer) and he said pouch had stretched about 25% and it wasn't stretched at my last EGD in September. Know how i stretched it??? SODA!!! i started coke zero around oct/nov last year. so soda is gone!! My doc recommended the reset and i'm so glad i didn't travel this week so i could kick right into it!
  • weezieweeks
    weezieweeks Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing your journey on 5day!! Please keep posting. I want to try it, but never get serious after first couple days. Just now, I remember how much food I prepared after the WLS so I could eat it. I need to keep this on mind if I try the 5dpt. I did not know the downside of soda, either! I'm not a huge soda drinker and lean more toward the Perrier or other fizzy waters. I wonder if they have the same effect? I had one EGD done a few years ago - my doc just said it was generous and more in line with how it was doing me in 2008.

Louise
  • stephaniwesterfield9370
    Options
    sdeconda wrote: »
    I am on day 3 of my 5 day reset. Day one is the hardest-- clear liquids only-- but yesterday and today- better. I just ate my cream of chicken soup for lunch and i'm stuffed-- not feeling near the hunger today i did on day one. I even worked out yesterday even though i had very few calories in me.

My story- RYN GB in 2006- lost 160 lbs. Over the course of the past 5 years or so i gained 40 lbs back. We started the zone diet (LOVE IT--- IT WORKS for bypass!!) i lost 20 of my 40. I am doing the pouch reset because i had an EGD done last Friday by my bariatric provider (for my ulcer) and he said pouch had stretched about 25% and it wasn't stretched at my last EGD in September. Know how i stretched it??? SODA!!! i started coke zero around oct/nov last year. so soda is gone!! My doc recommended the reset and i'm so glad i didn't travel this week so i could kick right into it!
    Just to clarify- you stretched it with Coke Zero?

• mary_lou_rios
    mary_lou_rios Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    krisb1701d wrote: »
    krisb1701d wrote: »

• mary_lou_rios
    Options
    Ok I’m new hear so not sure how to reply to individual postings. I’ve heard of a 7 day reset but what exactly is this I’m needing help😞
  • DollfaceLisa
    DollfaceLisa Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I know this group is not very active but I just warmed up a cup of broth to start my 5 day reset. I had surgery in 2014 and I have regained a little. I'm hoping this is what I need to get the scale moving in the right direction. Message me if you see this and want to join me.
  • mary_lou_rios
    Options
    I’m interested post op 2002