Corronavirus Thread.

Replies

• Al_Howard
    Al_Howard Posts: 7,840 Member
    Next door neighbors are self quarantined for exposures at work. They say they're ok, but, who knows?
  • Flintwinch
    Flintwinch Posts: 699 Member
    I miss sports cancelled due to coronavirus! This morning, to entertain myself, I sat on the porch and watched birds fight over the worms. Final score : Cardinals 7, Blue Jays 5.
  • beachwoman2006
    beachwoman2006 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Well my little piece of the world (county population 68,000) went from 0 cases to 5 today. But I'm still doing well with my self-isolation, social distancing, etc.

My son's oldest is a freshman at the University of SC. They will be taking him to clean out his dorm room sometime between now and next Saturday. He will be attending classes remotely for the remainder of the semester. The senior class has already had their commencement exercises (scheduled for Mother's Day weekend) cancelled.

My son's second one is a senior in high school. All of his remaining college campus visits have been cancelled. Fortunately, he already had the campus visit for what appears at this time to be his first choice. But he will be missing his senior prom (already cancelled) and, most likely, his graduation commencement. He's also doing remote classes for the remainder of the semester.

The other two are in 8th and 9th grade and are attending classes remotely and driving their mom crazy LOL They think because she's home all day now (working from home) that lunch should be on the table by noon. Boy were they suprised!

So far my son's business is doing well and he's going into the office for a few hours a day. His main concern is trying to be sure that all of his employees have work so that he doesn't need to lay anyone off.

This sucks.
  • whathapnd
    whathapnd Posts: 1,231 Member
    We're only going out for groceries and to drop off groceries to folks who need help.

I'm cooking a ton and trying to get some things in the freezer to limit grocery store trips - - but also trying not to hoard/ buy too much. Basics like canned tomatoes and chicken stock aren't always available.

I'm really going to try to do some exercise this week and try not to watch as much news. I want to stay informed, but I can do that while watching a fraction of the news I've been watching.
  • steve0mania
    steve0mania Posts: 2,923 Member
    We're now officially under a stay-at-home order. We've been doing that informally already, so not too much will change.

The big excitement of the day was that my wife found kosher meat in the supermarket...and some tissues. It's a crazy world out there.

The other part that's been interesting is the Orthodox Jewish community has been figuring out how to manage with Passover coming up in a couple of weeks. There are a lot of requirements that come with that holiday, and so the Rabbis have been identifying areas of Jewish law where there is (and is not) room for flexibility in times of crisis.
  • imastar2
    imastar2 Posts: 5,923 Member
    Our schools here in Georgia were shut down last week until 3/31 but talk of not opening again till at least June.

DW and I have been done due to my heart valve surgery March 3rd and since I've had complications with the entry puncture wounds still bleeding I'm down anyway. We however have experienced all the empty shelves no Tissue paper or paper towels eggs milk etc;.

So on to tomorrow morning with Dr. forwound care appointment.
  • cakeman21k
    cakeman21k Posts: 5,799 Member
    So as of about an hour ago I am living in a household with 4 adult females, one 4 year old female and 3 female dogs! This may go on for the next several months!
    Pray for me please!
  • myallforjcbill
    myallforjcbill Posts: 5,516 Member
    I remember hearing about people who retired before there spouse and settled into a new home life routine. Then the other spouse finally retired and things became a bit stressful for the first spouse. Now I understand. My wife's long weekend is in week 2. I think I have come to terms that I have to share our townhouse during the week.
  • lowbar31
    lowbar31 Posts: 6,431 Member
    God bless you Cakeman.
  • steve0mania
    Well, all of our kids are home now. It's a weird time. We haven't all "lived" together in a few years. It's much louder than I remember (and I'm a wicked introvert, so noise makes me crazy).

Nevertheless, it is nice to have everyone home and safe right now.

I'm sitting on an all-day conference call to make up for a trip that I was supposed to have taken before all of this coronavirus stuff hit.
  • misterhub
    misterhub Posts: 6,144 Member
    I have 2 MRIs scheduled for Wednesday. Apparently, they're still on schedule. I called and asked, and they said that I'd be notified if they were canceled. I sent a message to my doctor, but I have not heard anything back.
  • countcurt
    countcurt Posts: 593 Member
    Hello, all.

Long time, no chat. I was having what I thought was a pretty crazy time which seemed to be settling down nicely until, well, Coronavirus. Which makes most of my prior crazy time seem unremarkable.

We are also hunkered down with two adult-ish children living under our roof. As steve-0 says, current family life doesn't quite live up to the fond memories of family life, although we're managing.

I am working, mostly from home. I have started seeing patients by telemedicine which has been an interesting transition. Most of my consulting work has dried up and, because of my age, my partners and I agreed I should not help in the hospitals right now. Mostly I'm trying to make sure we have enough money to pay our staff.

The markets here are fairly well stocked, for now, except for the usual suspects- toilet paper, hand sanitizer, eggs, and, for some reason, anything in a can made from tomatoes.

• 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,462 Member
    @countcurt How are the fritter supplies holding up Steve?

I don’t have it he recipe anymore but as I recall you can make fritters out of Brussels sprouts in a pinch.
  • steve0mania
    @countcurt : Wow, look who the cat dragged in!

We are "tele-researching," which is an interesting approach to doing work in the laboratory. Thankfully, we had a lot of data that we really needed to process and analyze. However, some folks are clearly just sitting at home twiddling their thumbs. At least they are still getting paychecks!
  • misterhub
    misterhub Posts: 6,144 Member
    @countcurt - Good to see you.

Been working from home since last Tuesday. I have to go into the lab on Thursday and Friday, as well as several days next week. Very strict rules regarding social distancing, touching stuff, et cetera.

Have to have two MRIs tomorrow for some spasming in my left hand. I was in the clinic a couple of weeks ago, and it was very strict. I expect it to be at least as strict, now.
  • Al_Howard
    Al_Howard Posts: 7,840 Member
    @countcurt - Man, a blast form the past.
    As I'm retired, life is pretty much as it was. Actually had a "hands on" PT session today, and TOL's Primary Care Doctor's appointment was switched to a phone visit.
  • Jimb376mfp
    Jimb376mfp Posts: 6,230 Member
    First MamaCin @beachwoman2006 !
    Now @countcurt !!!
    I know I I have been thinking about somethings that the strange times reminded me.

Curt,
    Always brings me back to joining GOAD on original WW Chat room. You and Steve @steve0mania were mainstays of learning how to LTL.

I made GW March 2018 and have been below GW since. First time I have been worried because of living with Covid-19.

Thanks for all you taught me.

Jim
  • countcurt
    Thanks for the welcome back 'shout outs'.

Sadly, fritters and I have parted ways. I got to the point where I could no longer overlook the gastrointestinal discord that accompanied them. However, if I were to resume eating them, I can assure you there would never be a Brussels Sprout in them.

My big find this week has been a local supermarket that delivers.

Stay safe.
  • steve0mania
    I'm getting a sense that our high-level leaders are starting to think this "work-from-home" thing may go on for longer than a couple of weeks. They're starting to ask for documentation about what folks are doing when "working-from-home," and if I'm reading between the lines of the various communications I've received, they're likely to make a push for some lay-offs if things begin to drag on.
  • countcurt
    The working from home has been okay for me, and most of our office staff can manage that. I have one person who works in the office- she is pretty much the only person there so she is, by default, socially distancing.

My patients seem to like the telemedicine option, so far for anything I've been able to resolve through video. So I may be doing more from home if Medicare extends the coverage past the public health emergency.