Living The Lifestyle Monday 3/23/20

Options
imastar2
imastar2 Posts: 5,968 Member
We meet here to explore, share, celebrate and (sometimes) agonize over how we do (or don't) incorporate weight loss guidelines into our daily lives. "It's a lifestyle, not a diet" is easily and often said, but sometimes not so simply put into practice.nn

This is a thread for everyone. If you're new to GoaD, or to weight loss, your questions and comments are always welcome. If you're maintaining, or a long-term loser, your thoughts on the topic may be just what someone else needs to hear. If you're reading this, join in the discussion!

Each weekday, a new topic is offered up for discussion.

Monday-imastar2 (Derrick)
Tuesday- misterhub (Greg)
Wednesday- Mamacin (Cindy)
Thursday- myallforjcbill (Bill)
Friday- 88olds (George)

Topic: Changing to adapt. So as they say this is not our first rodeo when it comes to adapting to changes when our environment changes.

1. So are you pretty good at adapting to change? or improvising when necessary?

2.Or does it throw you off course and cause you to veer off track(ing) (no pun intended)

Replies

• imastar2
    imastar2 Posts: 5,968 Member
    Options
    So the last couple of weeks have definitely been interesting. DW has mostly been under the gun as far as shopping for the house has been concerned. Given the current circumstances I feel she has done marvelous. Since we don't eat a lot of processed foods ie microwavable packs or a lot of canned foods we've been improvising as needed but not too bad so far.

1. So answering my first question knowing I'm really not a very picky eater and knowing DW after so many years my eating habits and selections as far as food(s) I (we) eat things seemed to be moving along better than expected. So if something is not on the shelve we move to another entree always choosing something we like but yet still fits our overall eating habits.

2. The current situation most of us are finding ourselves in such as being quarantined or in my situation dealing with surgery complications at home actually is playing right into our hands as we were already down with my surgery. So this actually gives us more time at home to plan and execute our meals. We also are without the temptation of going out to eat although we have ordered out and picked up at the drive through a couple of times. So in my opinion listening to news reports we're fairing better than I anticipated.
  • whathapnd
    whathapnd Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    I'm usually pretty good at adapting to change, curve balls. I try to go back to basics in terms of my diet when circumstances get in the way. The exception for this is when I'm too busy (or tell myself I am) to get to the grocery store and cook meals. A lot of take-out happens during those times. Obviously that's not happening right now, but we are looking for way to support local places.

I struggle with developing new habits. I'm trying to find silver linings in the current situation, and one I'm considering is that it gives me (forces) the opportunity to be more deliberate and strategic about meal planning.

Maybe this will stick?
  • steve0mania
    steve0mania Posts: 2,966 Member
    Options
    I think we tend to be pretty adaptable. We don't eat out so the current restrictions aren't a big change for us. We are prioritizing various items based on our own "rationing" of some items, and with Passover coming up. I think it's mostly going fine.
  • Al_Howard
    Al_Howard Posts: 7,990 Member
    Options
    TOL and I (and our adult DGD are still doing OK. Staying to plan(s), and chilling. Of course we're getting some snow tonight. :(
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,476 Member
    Options
    I’m losing weight. Not eating out. Eating the same stuff most of the time.

I need to get some sort of exercise program in place. Unfortunately they closed the best park for walking.
  • cakeman21k
    cakeman21k Posts: 5,902 Member
    Options
    Having a 4 year old in the house is presenting me with some extra challenges as there are a lot of snack foods that have come into the house with her mother & grandmother that I would not normally keep around in order to avoid temptation. Things like Peanut Butter, goldfish crackers, M&M's etc are now in arms reach and resisting them is a big deal for me. So far I am holding my own but not losing anymore.
    The only good news is because we are not eating out at all I am cooking some really good and points friendly meals and getting reasonable portions.
  • countcurt
    countcurt Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    The biggest change for us is that with two 20-somethings in the house and all of us home for all meals whereas previously I ate breakfast and lunch at work and my kids, when they were home, ate lunch and probably half of their dinners out. So we're preparing about 4 times as many servings of food at home. So, we're constantly out of food. My wife is starting to appreciate my tendency to overstock the pantry.

I'm probably eating healthier right now than baseline, though. While our home is not a 'junk-free' zone, we haven't upped the junk being purchased. So we have four people sharing it rather than two.
  • misterhub
    misterhub Posts: 6,238 Member
    Options
    I adapt pretty well. My biggest concern in the current situation, right now, is that I stress eat. I am having to be constantly vigilant in that regard. I actually am doing a pretty good job, but not perfect.

I am eating quite healthy most of the time. Just a bit too much at times.