Corronavirus Thread.

Options

Replies

• cakeman21k
    cakeman21k Posts: 5,856 Member
    Options
    I spent the last several years before retiring as a "remote" employee because I was covering customers in a geography where my employer did not have any offices. I learned to both love & hate it! I loved being able to get my coffee & "commute" to my home office in less than 10 seconds, and be productive while wearing my bedroom slippers! On the other hand it could be very isolating, and the tendency of management to believe I was available 24/7 because I was always at my "office" could be very unpleasant to me.
    In addition I was talking to my son who is a network engineer for an IT outsourcing company, he talked to me about how almost all company's IT networks are set up to support a remote workforce, but nobodies network is sized for 100% remote access, and there are many cases of network nodes going down due to an inadequate amount of bandwidth, this includes the cable companies and phone companies that provide home internet services!
  • beachwoman2006
    beachwoman2006 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    Things are pretty much status quo here at the beach in NC. Well...not really.

As of midnight last night, hotels/motels, private residences, condos, etc. cannot do short-term rentals until after April 29th unless the reservation is for at least 30 days. Anyone who is here now is allowed to stay until their current reservation expires but no extensions are allowed.

All public beach access parking lots are closed. All public beach accesses are closed. All restaurants are closed except for take-out. All bars are closed. The main "circle" is roped off so no admittance to the main beach. Ft. Macon State Park is closed. The Aquarium is closed. Town park is closed. Skate park is closed.

Town and County officials are asking that only permanent residents are here. As you can imagine, that's not going well since people who own second homes want to be able to go back and forth. It's a beautiful day here and the beach looks like a day in June so, obviously, that isn't working well. LOL

So far we only have 7 positive cases in the county (population 68,000 as of 2017) with 114 pending tests; however, the 7th (announced today) is someone who works in the county offices so now they're doing contact tracing and asking anyone who had gone into the county offices since March 20th to self-quarantine. Direct co-workers are also being asked to self-quarantine.

As for me? I'm keeping a list and going out to the grocery store and Post Office once a week. Other than that, my activities are confined to my back deck and yard (except the pollen is driving me nuts). I'm 72 and have asthma so I'm definitely being vigilant! I have coughing and breathing difficulties a lot of the time, so my wonderful doctor suggested that I take my temp once a day and IF I have a fever of 100.4 or higher I contact his office (by phone) for further instructions.

I'm cooking like a mad woman! LOL I've cooked more in the last two weeks than I probably have in the last two years and my freezer is almost full of "leftovers". The good news is that I'm not baking!

I was in a good place before all this started and had finally started losing again -- was back within 2 pounds of goal and was PLANNING to attend a meeting to take a look at the new WW program. I haven't stepped on the scale in two weeks so have no idea what impact all this has had on my weight.

Truthfully? I think I probably had COVID back in mid-January. I had a fever (never more than 102) and sore throat for about three days and then started having uncontrollable coughing and shortness of breath. I saw my doctor and was tested for flu and strep -- both negative. Diagnosis was "probably a cold with a touch of bronchitis that has exacerbated your asthma". It lasted for about 3 weeks and then I was fine. I'm relatively sure that it has been in this country for a lot longer than we know. I hope that eventually they test for antibodies to it so that we can get a TRUE idea of how many cases have been in the US.

I hope all of you are taking care of yourself!
  • beachwoman2006
    beachwoman2006 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    I'm getting a sense that our high-level leaders are starting to think this "work-from-home" thing may go on for longer than a couple of weeks. They're starting to ask for documentation about what folks are doing when "working-from-home," and if I'm reading between the lines of the various communications I've received, they're likely to make a push for some lay-offs if things begin to drag on.

I've heard the same thing from some of my former co-workers. I worked from home most of the last three years that I worked. However, there are people working from home who have never done it and it's obvious (from what I've heard) that some of them are taking advantage of the situation.

BTW...no damage from the earthquake there recently? I mean for you...I know there was damage in the area.
  • steve0mania
    steve0mania Posts: 2,946 Member
    Options
    BTW...no damage from the earthquake there recently? I mean for you...I know there was damage in the area.

For me, no. But that's because we no longer live there! Ha ha, you may have missed that. I can't remember if WW message boards were gone by then, so you likely didn't hear about it.

• Jimb376mfp
    Jimb376mfp Posts: 6,231 Member
    Options
    3/30/20
    VA Govenor issued shelter in place for now to 10 JUNE!!!

Governor is a Physician and I believe he is just being realistic but it is depressing to see the next two months like this.

One funny thing is that going to beaches is allowed for exercise or fishing. I first thought that fishing was exercise and thought how many Fitness points do you earn for baiting a hook? LoL

• Al_Howard
    Al_Howard Posts: 7,925 Member
    Options
    Just heard from DS, our 21 yr.old DGS is in the hospital with pneumonia. Won't know the Covid-19 test results for a couple of days. Please pray for Brendan. Thanks.
  • steve0mania
    steve0mania Posts: 2,946 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear that Al. I've got an ex-BIL on a vent with COVID-19.

Someone pointed out the dichotomy to me today. On the one hand, we've had some beautiful days outside, and there are lots of folks out getting a little sun (though keeping >6' apart). On the other hand, there are people who are really sick at home or in the hospital. It's a bizarre time.
  • myallforjcbill
    myallforjcbill Posts: 5,533 Member
    Options
    Al_Howard wrote: »
    Just heard from DS, our 21 yr.old DGS is in the hospital with pneumonia. Won't know the Covid-19 test results for a couple of days. Please pray for Brendan. Thanks.

Praying for Brendan, @Al_Howard
  • gadgetgirlIL
    gadgetgirlIL Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    Sending prayers and healing thoughts for Brendan, @Al_Howard
  • cakeman21k
    Options
    You and yours will be in my thoughts and prayers
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,467 Member
    Options
    Prayers for you and your family Al.
  • misterhub
    misterhub Posts: 6,195 Member
    Options

Keeping you all in my heart.
  • misterhub
    misterhub Posts: 6,195 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    Working from home most days. Going into the lab when required. This evening and tomorrow (day) require me to be in the lab. Most folks in the company are working from home, now. Seems to be going very smoothly.

I don't mind working from home periodically. Not sure I like doing it everyday. If it was permanent, I'd need to make some logistical adjustments to my work area. I may do that anyway.

Received a company issued letter I am supposed to carry with me when I go into the office/lab. I guess I do need some stinkin' papers.
  • whathapnd
    whathapnd Posts: 1,235 Member
    Options
    Prayers to your family, Al.
  • Al_Howard
    Options
    He seems to be doing better, but still awaiting test results.
  • cakeman21k
    Options
    In a time when we could all use support and positive energy and prayers, I would like to encourage any one in the GOAD verse to post here friends and family (or for that matter ourselves) who are having struggles no matter if that is directly having the disease or just because someone is struggling emotionally financially or otherwise at this time.
    I just found out about a 3rd friend who is now in self quarntine due to exposure He has no symptoms at this time but my thoughts and prayers are with him and his family. (PS the first 2 friends who I know were exposed came through their 14 day isolation without any problems
  • Al_Howard
    Options
    DGS's COVID-19 test NEGATIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!! PTL!
  • lowbar31
    lowbar31 Posts: 6,470 Member
    Options
    Fantastic news Al!
  • cakeman21k
    Options
    Way cool!
  • Jimb376mfp
    Jimb376mfp Posts: 6,231 Member
    Options
    DGS's COVID-19 test NEGATIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!! PTL!

AMEN!