Are any of you like me? Older? Not what doctors label heavy? On Vyvanse?

Options
wendykayt
wendykayt Posts: 8 Member
I went to an ED support group - but I easily had 20 years on everyone. I went to an OA support group - but they ridiculed me because I'm not heavy.

Please, let there be someone like me.

I'm 48, 5'4 and weigh 122 - a very misleading number that doesn't reflect what I see or feel. I've only recently been officially diagnosed with BED and they put me on Vyvanse and shoved me into therapy.

I have had food issues since I was 12. Initially starving myself but always following up with bingeing. By my late 20s I'd found a balance between bingeing and exercising a LOT. That worked for me until 2 years ago when I injured my back.

My weight is now made up of fat with very little muscle and I hate it. I tried to fight the urge to binge and when I failed I had to use laxatives to compensate for not being able to exercise the way I used to. It led to pelvic floor disorder and at my last appt with my doctor I broke down and just told him everything, hence the Vyvanse. It definitely is helping and yesterday he upped the dosage to 40mg.

Can any of you relate to this?

Replies

• SaturnsbestMoon
    SaturnsbestMoon Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    OA is **supposed** to be for people of ALL shapes and sizes to support and encourage each other to learn and maintain healthy eating habits. Being an over eater does not ONLY affect the Obese, it also affects Bulimics, anorexics and all body shapes and types. I am so sorry to hear of your lack of support from the OA group. They should be ashamed of themselves. I'm sorry But I am Obese and in my late 20's. I have BED, I'm a habitual grazer and a sugar and carb addict. I am available if you want to talk. I am not an active participant in OA any longer since we became Keto a month ago but I do have an AMAZING sponsor.
  • mweckler
    mweckler Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    The scales can tell one story, but how you feel is a different one. Do you have conto issues when it comes to food? Do you exhibit the behaviors of someone with BED? Then you should be able to get the support you need. I luckily have been able to lose almost 100 pounds in the last year, I take Vyvanse, and Adderall to help me get through my day. I now do not look overweight, or obese, but I know without the support of my family, doctor, and medicine I could easily fall back into my old eating habits.
  • GotYR06
    GotYR06 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I have just been prescribed vyvanse and I am unsure of it. Makes me tired and just feel spaced out. It helps a bit but don’t like the way I feel.
  • SaturnsbestMoon
    SaturnsbestMoon Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    GotYR06 wrote: »
    I have just been prescribed vyvanse and I am unsure of it. Makes me tired and just feel spaced out. It helps a bit but don’t like the way I feel.

I also just recently started Vyvanse and I love that it kills my cravings when im on the right dose but it also makes me feel a little out of it.