Longtime vegetarian seeks encouragement to give up frozen dinners

Options
scotex89
scotex89 Posts: 14 Member
Hi everyone. I am new to MFP, but I have been a lacto-vegetarian since 1991. Over the last few years I have been cooking less and less, living mostly on Amy's Frozen meals, which are very high in sodium. I know that to lose the 14lbs I have gained in the last two years, and to get healthy, I have to start making food from scratch. So I am hoping that I will get encouragement and inspiration from y'all. My food diary is open to friends. But trust me, you're not going to want to copy what I eat, at least not yet :D I do, however, have some excellent vegan and vegetarian recipes to share.

Replies

• BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    Options
    Welcome!

I’ll start by saying that if your goal is to lose weight you don’t necessarily have to cook from scratch you just have to count your calories accurately and stay in a deficit. So if your frozen dinners are easy and satisfying for you there’s no burning need to change that.

(I can’t believe I’ve just written that as someone who has always cooked from scratch because it’s something I love to do, but it’s true, nonetheless!)

But, if you do want to change what you’re eating, I won’t deny the benefits of fresh produce and home cooking! I’d suggest you start slowly, maybe just concentrate on 2-3 days a week where you plan, shop and experiment with which recipes are to your taste, cooking skill and have the important ‘effort to taste ratio’.

Can I also mention another group on these forums - ‘Happy Herbivores’ if you’ve not found it yet - it’s a little more active and we’re currently working at reviving it so it might be helpful too!
  • scotex89
    scotex89 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thank you Barbara Helen. I realize I can lose weight so long as I have a calorie deficit. I have done that many times in my life, and made quite big shifts in weight too. Right now, I am focusing more on health than weight, knowing that if I get my diet more healthy I will also lose weight. And for more healthy I am eliminating dairy, gluten and corn to see how I feel. I have been doing it or ten days and already I notice a difference. My diet before, while in name vegetarian, desperately lacked in fruits and vegetables. Lots of cheese and wheat based products, and ice cream. Plus a sedentary lifestyle because my body felt like a truck had run over it. Being vegan and gluten and corn free these last ten days and tracking my food has been eye opening. And now my body is asking for salad and fruits. But it will be baby steps. Maybe not doing home-cooked every meal to begin with, but today I cooked lunch. So I am feeling optimistic. And I will check out happy herbivores.
  • laughingdakini1
    laughingdakini1 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    This is exactly my issue! Sometimes my health has made me feel inclined to just plain have some frozen fake meat or similar, and the high sodium is so so bad for me. One thing that has worked for me is no microwave in the house, period, and so if I want some Gardein fake meat or something, I have to cook it. I find that boiling it a bit helps get some of the fat and sodium off it, and then I pour that down the drain and fry the food in eithe r a little water or nothing but the nonstick pan.

Good luck. It sounds like you are doing well.
  • myerbean
    myerbean Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    No microwave helped me for many years. I was able to reintruduce my microwave and only use it for veggies. Scotex89 cooking classes online and in person helped motivate me to eat less processed food.
    I am currently struggling because i am mostly plant based and trying to eat smaller quantities which microwave meals would help but my body can't take the sodium. I also need to increase my exercise.