Do you like getting older?

ladyzherra
ladyzherra Posts: 438 Member
Even when I was a kid I could not wait to get older and, now that I am nearing 40 I am really glad to be reaching this wonderful milestone. Sure, there are a lot of changes -- but there always have been, right? I feel like my body is sometimes not mine, but that gives me an opportunity to learn how to change and adapt. It's a strange feeling to creep closer to dying, and even though I am long way away from being in my 90s I feel that death is there -- but then, I always have anyway. There is also life...and I think I feel that more than I ever have before.

What are your experiences with being in your 40s?

Replies

• mgs913
    mgs913 Posts: 1 Member
    I have enjoyed my 40s so far! My body doesn't agree with me and tries to stop me but I just change things and remind myself I can't keep up with people in their 20s when it comes to working out. I just try to live life and not just exist in it!
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    Got a 2yr old so restarted it all over again! Just with less mobility.
  • ladyzherra
    @mgs913 I hear you when you write that you cannot "keep up" with women in their 20s. I have noticed, too, that how my body moves, what it needs, what I can do with it, are different than when I was in my 20s and also my 30s. I try hard to honor those changes and not see them in a negative way, but as opportunties to grow and change and adapt and learn. The changes really are not bad -- in fact, I have to say that many are better! -- but they are different, for sure.
  • Fatexterminator
    Fatexterminator Posts: 43 Member
    I am 43 so far I like my 40s it helps with a healthy diet and exercise to feel good
  • ladyzherra
    @Fatexterminator I am glad to hear that the 40s are treating you well so far. I am turning 40 in a month and I feel like I am feeling better than I ever have. I am at my heaviest currently, but that doesn't phase me because I have taken time (years) to get things in order in my life emotionally and mentally. I have the physical part down from my 20s and early 30s, so I feel confident that I am closer than I've ever been to bringing balance.
  • seepersaud
    seepersaud Posts: 5,759 Member
    I'll be 50 in a little more than three years, which is a little hard to wrap my mind around, but I feel better than I did in my 20s so I'm not lamenting too much about getting older.
  • ladyzherra
    @seepersaud Good to hear that you feel better than you did in your 20s. Things change so much in our bodies as we age, and I see how for some people those changes are not necessarily positive. Aging is important for me, not just physically, but also in terms of my mental and emotional evolution.
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    I miss my body from my late 20’s lol 😂 could move boulders now Hubby helps me open bottles to mash stuff up when I’m struggling. Lol sheesh I’d take pre-Baby JR body back even with the aches y pains lol 😂. My Csection did a number in me.Losing weight to exercise feel like I’m getting closer to a new norm hopefully good enough one at least. (Placental abruption tour my insides to shreds need more future surgeries).

At least I have wisdom now tho compared to my naive easy to trod on 20 yr old self. I feel like I roar 🐯 more now when needed. I even fought off a purse 👜 theif in the big city! Of course that’s more the peri then post them periMenopause again lol 😂. I want post menopause again but to keep the roar!
  • CaptAwesome77
    CaptAwesome77 Posts: 84 Member
    I like that I’m certainly wiser than I was in the past... but I miss the metabolism I had. Back then weight I put on was a whole lot easier to take off, though it may not have seemed so at the time.

I don’t like how much more frequent running related injuries are now and how much longer it takes to bounce back from them, especially given I just spent 2 months in a walking boot.

• ladyzherra
    @JRsLateInLifeMom So sorry to hear about your healing journey and the challenges of that.

I hear you about the wisdom. I do feel that I have more of that, too.
  • ladyzherra
    @CaptAwesome77 Yes, I hear you! The metabolism was burning brighter in my younger years, as well.

Also, I just got my first ever sports-related injury the other day doing step aerobics. I used to teach aerobics and other fitness classes, and never had an injury from it before. Guess I have to stretch before working out a lot more!
  • RosieRosie1975
    RosieRosie1975 Posts: 82 Member
    I love being 45, I even look better at this age in comparison to my 30s. My only criticism is how quickly I can put on weight now but my energy is fabulous for 40 and I live the relationships with my sons now they are grown men
  • Kekibird
    Kekibird Posts: 1,122 Member
    I struggled with the notion of aging, not for myself but because I knew with each birthday pushing me towards 40, my time with my elderly family members was dwindling. Took some therapy to help move past this fear. Now I'm not so worried about it and I'm actually looking forward to certain parts.
  • fishbonz3497
    fishbonz3497 Posts: 13 Member
    It can be a slap in the face but i have enjoyed it
  • cmira5ol
    cmira5ol Posts: 1,246 Member
    edited May 2020
    Turned 46 this month....and enjoying it. Wow! I don't feel like I'm that old. I love to exercise and I also love to eat.....and drink wink: I also have a 2-year-old daughter who is keeping me young.

I'm currently leaning out. Once I hit my target weight goal (last 5lbs) I plan to build muscle again. Feel free to add me as a friend, the more the merrier.
  • Lesgamble
    Lesgamble Posts: 14 Member
    48. Everything hurts...
    Nowadays when I crash my MTB or BMX I don't bounce, I hit the deck like a sack of crap!
  • ladyzherra
    edited July 2020
    I was actually reflecting yesterday on how I enjoy being 40 because I have learned more about who I am. I just feel better; I have tools now for moving through life that I didn't have before. My child is turning 8, too, and I'm not as run down as I felt in my 30s.
  • Uisceuisce
    Uisceuisce Posts: 37 Member
    I’m 40, initially it hit me like a train, am I happy where I’m at? Is this it? Where do I want to go from here?.
    I’m feeling positive and motivated and I enjoy that I’m not as run down as my thirties and I have the opportunity to focus on my own goals properly again!
  • allergictodiets
    allergictodiets Posts: 233 Member
    I'm 45 and like the fact that I stopped obsessing about my looks. I still exercise and try to eat healthy but I do not let the scale readings define my days. What I do not like are the signs of wear and tear that I am experiencing - vericose veins, a couple of gray hairs, a general feeling that I am not as fit as I used to be.