Calories on low carb? Help??

Options
skinnygurl02
skinnygurl02 Posts: 176 Member
I am just starting low carb. I have been aiming at 1200 calories a day. (Between 30-40 carbs, high fat and protein.) In doing so I have been over my calories nearly everyday. Usually hit about 1400. Is this too high of a calorie count or are calories not so much a factor?

Replies

• ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    Need some more information about you - current stats (height, weight, activity levels, etc) before this question can be answered.

Generally speaking, unless you are a very small person, there is no reason to go as low as 1200 calories a day (barring medical conditions as well).
  • skinnygurl02
    skinnygurl02 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    168 pounds, 5 ft 4, 46 years old, not very active-just some light walking at my job
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    You may need to lower your fat and concentrate more on protein so that you can eat more volume with less calories.
    I’m your height and started at exactly that same weight and 1200 was right for me. I’m also pretty inactive averaging only about 6000-7000 steps a day with no purposeful exercise.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    Average maintenance is usually weight x 10 - so at 168 lbs your maintenance would average around 1680/day in calories...of course, like anything else it's just an average and many things can shift that up or down (age, body fat%, activity, etc)...if you track your food, then you can find your own maintenance after about 3 weeks of keeping weight stable.
  • skinnyjingbb
    skinnyjingbb Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    1400 calorie sounds like a good mark if you wish to lose weight. I would suggest stay at this level for at least 2 weeks decide if you wanna change.
  • siouxsee
    siouxsee Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I’m new here, is low carb better than low fat? If it is, do I still go with low fat as well? Not really sure what 8m doing lol
  • siouxsee
    Options
    Thankyou, :) in your opinion is the low carb diet a better way to go than a low fat one then?
  • siouxsee
    Options
    Thankyou very much Erin, you have been a great help 😀
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    I believe fat soluble vitamins are very important and the gut lining needs fat. Neurotransmitters and the myelin sheath that protects nerves are made from b vitamins, amino acids, and/or fatty acids. Low fat diets are terrible for the body. I used to drink veggie smoothies every day and it just caused me to get signs of vitamin and mineral deficiencies. Now I'm carnivore and almost couldn't be happier.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    siouxsee wrote: »
    Thankyou, :) in your opinion is the low carb diet a better way to go than a low fat one then?

In my opinion it is because fat is an essential nutrient where carbs aren’t. To me, if you’re going to cut something drastaically, I would cut what’s not necessary in the first place.

Even on a low fat diet, its pretty easy to get enough to surpass the essential levels, which is like 11 - 20g. Given equal calories there isn't going to make a difference in terms of fat loss.

@siouxsee there isn't a right answer. You will have to see what keeps you satiated and enjoy the most. You can start with low carb, but if you are always hungry or you find it unsustainable, than start to replace fats with carbs. Keep in mind there is a huge middle ground between low carb and low fat. The only thing i consistently recommend is higher protein and adequate fiber.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options

In my opinion it is because fat is an essential nutrient where carbs aren’t. To me, if you’re going to cut something drastaically, I would cut what’s not necessary in the first place.

Agree.

Also, i would add, you can monitor calories over a period of time and adjust. If you are losing too quickly or getting hungry a lot, then add a bit more calories.

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    edited May 2020
    Options
    I am just starting low carb. I have been aiming at 1200 calories a day. (Between 30-40 carbs, high fat and protein.) In doing so I have been over my calories nearly everyday. Usually hit about 1400. Is this too high of a calorie count or are calories not so much a factor?

@skinnygurl02 we are all different. I was in very poor health when I went low carb back in 2014 when I was 63. I did not track calories because after 40 years of failing to make dieting work long term I gave up on trying to lose weight ever again. My goal was pain manage my low carb diet instead of by meds.

It was day 45 before I lost my first pound but did lose an inch in the waist and my fat face during these first 44 days. In my case I think my body had to heal some before the weight loss got underway. Actually the pain management started in about 14 days which was 30 days before I lost the first pound of weight.

Give it some time. Calories do count and Low Carb typically is not a low calorie Way Of Eating because of replacing carbs with fats.

While at first walking just a 1/4 mile a day was very hard for me but it was a game changer for me and still is today.

As @psuLemon mentioned you can monitor calories over time and adjust. I have about decided there is not magic way for the masses to eat. In my case eating for better health was key then adjusting calories on down the road. This virus thing came along and I cut my burn rate but not my calories but when my new size clothes got tight at the waist and my weight was increasing so I had to adjust calories down and burn rate up. :)

Find out what you like to eat that is low carb and then tweak from that point. I found low carb helps manage my calorie intake but during the lock down I got into more carbs and calories. :(

Best of success.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »

Even on a low fat diet, its pretty easy to get enough to surpass the essential levels, which is like 11 - 20g. Given equal calories there isn't going to make a difference in terms of fat loss.

@siouxsee there isn't a right answer. You will have to see what keeps you satiated and enjoy the most. You can start with low carb, but if you are always hungry or you find it unsustainable, than start to replace fats with carbs. Keep in mind there is a huge middle ground between low carb and low fat. The only thing i consistently recommend is higher protein and adequate fiber.

I’ve always heard minimal fat needed is more like 50g.
    Anyway, that’s not even what my point was.
    There are no essential carbohydrates but there is essential fat. Just makes sense to me if I am cutting one drastically to cut what’s not essential. That was my only point.
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    Fiber is not needed at all.