Vegetarian / Salt Free Help!

Options
dmisred
dmisred Posts: 1 Member
Hi everyone. First time here.
I’m looking for some new no/low sodium hacks. I’ve been using Benson’s Table Tasty Salt Substitute (the best), as well as balsamic vinegar, lemon, hot sauce, garlic and onions. Does anyone have any interesting recipes or ideas? I’m still vegetarian but lean towards vegan.
Thanks,
DM Shaffer🥦🥕🍊🥝🌽🥗🥜🥚🍠

Replies

• Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure Trader Joe's 21 seasoning salute is salt-free. Mushrooms give a lot of flavor (TJ's has an Umani seasoning but no clue on salt), I get a lot of herb blends from Penzey's, they sell a box of herb seasonings that are salt-free. Mural of Flavor is my favorite of those. Sunny Paris is good in egg/veggie scrambles or tofu scrambles. Flavored balsamics and other vinegars are fun to experiment with. My favorite Mrs. Dash seasoning was discontinued so I've been stubborn about buying it! An interesting addition when I recently made black beans from dried was a recommendation to cut an orange in half and add to it while cooking. It gives an interesting flavor, I liked blood oranges best then probably limes.
  • ploomka
    ploomka Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Nutritional yeast. Cheesy flavor, umami flavor, vegan, highly nutritious, low sodium.

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/nutritional-yeast
  • RhythmGypsi
    RhythmGypsi Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    These are all great suggestions! My partner started using Mrs. Dash's salt-free seasonings when his blood pressure was getting high. Combining the seasonings with some lemon juice can really make a difference! :)
  • treehugger88
    treehugger88 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    If you don't have high BP, I don't see where a small amount of salt doesn't hurt. Just don't overdo it. Use other spices and use a dash of salt to bring out the flavor. But if you're trying to completely eliminate it, Mrs. Dash is pretty legit.
  • treehugger88
    treehugger88 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    don't see where a small amount of salt would hurt*** is what that was supposed to say lol
  • ladyzherra
    ladyzherra Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I wanted to add, too, that when I work out a lot, I actually can suffer from a salt deficiency, even though I salt my food with sea salt. I can get dizzy when I excerise because of low salt in my blood. My face will be covered with dried salt, and that tells me, ironically, that I am low on salt, believe it or not. So, salt is important for those of us who sweat a lot during exercise or exercise in a cardio or anarobic zone a couple times a week.

For years, I wondered why I would feel dizzy or even feel like passing out during or after a strenuous workout. Salt was one of the puzzle pieces for me.
  • filmgal30
    filmgal30 Posts: 3,988 Member
    Options
    If you’re looking for low sodium food recipes try this site:
    https://www.hackingsalt.com/
  • Safari_Gal_
    Safari_Gal_ Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    dmisred wrote: »
    I’m looking for some new no/low sodium hacks. I’ve been using Benson’s Table Tasty Salt Substitute (the best), as well as balsamic vinegar, lemon, hot sauce, garlic and onions. Does anyone have any interesting recipes or ideas? I’m still vegetarian but lean towards vegan.
    Thanks,
    DM Shaffer🥦🥕🍊🥝🌽🥗🥜🥚🍠

Hi! - I haven’t tried Bensons - but when i cook for 2 family members who absolutely can NOT have sodium - I use kelp flakes (105mg sodium per tsp)

I also use more infused oils and herbs when I cook for them. ESP my fav herbs de Provence. 🌱

9nmcfqen2qdu.jpeg

• judithtoler22
    judithtoler22 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Actually once you get used to going without salt, you can really enjoy the taste of the food. My only exception is watermelon.
  • spikywon
    spikywon Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    dmisred wrote: »
    Thanks,
    DM Shaffer🥦🥕🍊🥝🌽🥗🥜🥚🍠

Boosting your Potassium intake can help regulate how your body retains Sodium. Low Sodium fermented soy sauce is handy.
    Be aware that not enough Sodium can be more dangerous in the short term than too much. 👍🏽

• filmgal30
    filmgal30 Posts: 3,988 Member
    Options
    For the average person salt & potassium intake are not as much of a concern, but for people with high blood pressure or even just underlying conditions you do really have to watch your salt because high blood pressure damages your veins which can lead to kidney loss (especially if you have diabetes) and as some one on it, I would never wish dialysis on anyone if they can prevent the need. The average person eats 3400 mg of sodium, in reality the ADA, AHA, and many other agencies will tell you you only need 2300 mg a day (and if you have high blood pressure, etc. you should only have 1500 mg a day of sodium).

I recommend the Mrs. Dash varieties, nutritional yeast (especially on air popcorn), Kerrigold makes a really yummy unsalted butter (it’s either in dairy section or near cheeses at the deli/meat counter). And with most baking, try cutting bake on the salt so if it calls for 1 tsp salt try making it instead with 3/4 or 1/2 tsp and if you like the result drop it even more next time. I know salt is a levening agent, but it depends on the recipe. Usually if a recipe also calls for baking soda or powder (or both) I leave the salt out altogether as both soda and powder are made up mainly of a form of salt. Penzy’s also has some good no salt spice mixes (and recipe examples) but make sure you definitely only buy the no salt ones/read label ingredients before buying. Good luck.
  • Anthony8374
    Anthony8374 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Who likes to make new friends? 😄 so we can help push each other