Falling off the wagon

Options
laurahalford52
laurahalford52 Posts: 14 Member
Well last night I fell off

I secretly ordered a Chinese (without my partner knowing) and scoffed the lot, I wasnt even hungry and didnt even enjoy it that much I dread to think how many calories I ate and how much ive set myself back. I was bored, thats all, bored, so I ate. Its hard to break habits that you have developed over years and years of body abuse.

Today i feel guilty (which is new for me, i never get food guilt) so im taking it as a good sign that im changing the way i think about food.

Today im back on the weighloss train, eating well. I just struggle so much at night and my willpower is rock bottom. These blips usually lead me into a full on binge where I go off the rails for weeks on end, eating everything the comes near me, but not this time.

This time im taking control.

Does anyone else struggle with boredom night time eating? what do you do instead? is it just time that is needed to break these bad habits?

Any help would be gratefully received, im not new to dieting but this is the first time ive not been on a fad diet. I really want to do it properly this time.

Replies

• bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    Options
    First, realize that you did not do as much damage as you think you did for overdoing 1 meal. Remember: it takes roughly 3500 calories to gain 1 lb. So your regular daily calorie allowance, plus your deficit, plus whatever extra calories you ate for that meal really can't do that much damage. The scale will be up a few lbs likely, yes. But that is NOT true weight gain; its water due to the temporary change in your diet, and it will come back off eventually (sometimes might take several days, but it WILL leave!)

So don't look at this as "I blew it".

The fact that you didn't let it turn into a full on binge is a huge win! You're back at it right off the bat, didn't let it go for days or weeks, so look at the positives here and don't let the guilt hold you down :)

For boredom eating: are there any hobbies you enjoy or you think you might like to attempt? Something that requires concentration that could help you focus your mind on something else? Ever tried embroidery or counted cross stitch or even crochet or knitting? Maybe learn something new? Work a jigsaw puzzle? Or perhaps tell yourself that the only way you'll let yourself have that snack is if you take a walk or exercise for a set period of time? A lot of the time, exercise for me calms the hunger down.
  • laurahalford52
    laurahalford52 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    That is really helpful thank you, the salt content of the meal alone will make me gain a few lbs in water weight but i have drank loads today so hopefully flush that out pretty quick.
    My muscle food order comes today so i will have lots of lovely lean meat in the house so no excuses for binge eating junk.

Ive told my partner too now so he can keep a better eye on me lol

As for hobbies thats a really good idea, I guess if im focussing on something else I would be less likely to get bored in the first place and therefore no eating!

Ive taken up cycling again and went out yesterday so luckily I had quite a big calorie defecit to play with yesterday.

Thanks again, i love this group, your all so supportive xx
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    One of the key things I did when I started was make everything I do part of my plan. This included eating way above my calorie limit at times. This meant there was no wagon for me to fall off of. The plan was never just to lose weight but change me enough to lose it and keep it off for forever. I had to learn what is true, false, and speculative when it comes to the mechanics of weight loss AND I had to learn how to manage myself. That second part is the tricky part. Identifying where I am weak and where I am strong so I can have strategies to deal with both. This means I treat bad days as opportunities to learn.

The suggestions you have been given are a great place to start. Do not expect the first try to be something that fixes it though or even it if fixes it most of the time that it will work all the time. Perfection is never on the table. If you were perfect I would have to kick you out of here because perfection is against the rules. :wink:

If filling your time with another hobby is not enough let us know. There are more things to try.