Introductions

Options

Replies

• TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,087 Member
    Options
    fvnge6aw4qnn.jpg

Hi all! Welcome to our May challenge, returnees and newcomers.
    And a thousand thanks to our leader, @RangerRickL for helping us stay accountable.

I’m Terri from Northern Ireland. Back for my 20th month. Working on improving my fitness and health. Made the Winners Circle 19 times so far.

UAC is a good place for anyone to start the practicing of new habits, in a supportive and encouraging atmosphere. Through being a member, I have achieved my lowest weight in 4 decades, and have maintained it since late 2019.

Just a few details on my personal journey to health and fitness.

Aim for 2020 ~ maintain < 150 (I may even manage to drop a little more! 😂

I am FOCUSED on heathy food choices and DETERMINED to achieve my goals!

SW: 227lbs (Mar 2014)
    LW: 147.2 (4 April 2020)
    UGW: 145 (this may change when I get there 😂 )
    CW: 148.4
    • For the last 3 years I have tended to bounce up and down between 160 - 170. Occasionally I bounced up/down a little more.
    • My ideal situation is to maintain < 150
    • I use CI/CO and a variety exercise for extra calories.
    • Logic would suggest that I have found a natural comfortable weight, and, according to modern BMI calculation, I am in the upper range of normal for my age and height. However, logic doesn't always dictate our desires and feelings. 😂
    WHAT I HAVE DISCOVERED
    1. Getting and staying healthy and fit requires the development of a permanent lifestyle reset.
    2. Replacing unhelpful habits with more useful ones is key to to the process.
    3. Losing weight is only one of the elements.
    4. Eating healthy and staying actively is not OPTIONAL, but an ABSOLUTE ESSENTIAL.
    THERE ARE NO QUICK FIXES OR SHORTCUTS to achieving permanent change.

REMINDERS One or two thoughts on weight which might give heart to some of you.
    • Daily weight fluctuations are normal, and can be several lbs a day for no apparent reason.
    • A general downward trend is what we are looking for.
    • Eating out can cause apparent weight gain because of high sodium levels, but usually goes quickly. Drinking extra water helps with this.
    • The human body does not react instantly to what we do to it. Sometimes it can take several days to see results.
    • Plateaus are a normal part of the process. The body is consolidating and adapting to your new way of eating/exercising.
    • The closer you get to your goal weight, the more difficult it becomes to lose weight, as your body becomes more efficient at using what you feed it.
    • When you exercise you build muscle, which takes up less space than fat, so use measurements as well as weight to assess your progress.
    • Getting/Staying fit and healthy requires a permanent lifestyle change for most people.
    Stick with the process. It DOES work! But it does take time, effort, and most of all, patience!
  • UCGRocks
    UCGRocks Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Hi all. New to this. Looking forward to the challenge
  • srufus
    srufus Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Hi all,
    I used to be a part of this group for a few months two years back. Fell off the wagon and gained weight back. My goal is to build healthy habits by eating under my calorie goal and getting some exercise everyday. All the best everyone !
  • amymh41
    amymh41 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    So excited about being apart of this group! I have 30 lbs to lose and over a year to get there. I’m inspired by some of your posts already, and it’s only June 1!
  • tinacuso
    tinacuso Posts: 4,257 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Tina I did this challenge over a year ago and now I need it again. It is a great group of people that help you form good habits.
  • slimtastesbetter
    slimtastesbetter Posts: 7,989 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm Babs and am looking forward to this challenge. I've been lazy about logging my food consistently and when I don't log I tend to start nibbling and those nibbles become bigger and bigger. So no wonder I've put on a few pounds rather than lose! I'm 60 years old, 5'3", currently 141.6 lbs and would love to be back under 135. I run 4 to 5 days a week but with this challenge I will be sure to get in 20 minutes of exercise--most likely walking and/or strength training--the other days. :blush:
  • eab2103
    eab2103 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Hi all, I'm new to the group. I started tracking MFP & working out 6 weeks ago but wanted to connect more with others who are also focusing on improving their health. I'm doing the TurboFire workout program. Planning for a 6lb loss this month. :smile:
  • BMcC9
    BMcC9 Posts: 4,364 Member
    Options
    I just signed up for MFP a little over an hour ago, so I'm a total newbie. I read the Introductions, What's on Your Mind Today?, FAQs and Rules. Then, I decided to join the group. I'm 66 and have been changing my food intake since January. Down only 10 lbs. I haven't exercised in YEARS, so I'm looking forward to the accountability of this group. My exercise might be totally lame to most of you, but it will be movement for me. 5'2", 193 lbs, goal of 130 lbs.

One of the best things about this setup is that "YOU define what is within your capability for "intentional exercise / activity" So no judging you own performance against what others do. There have also been members from time to time who are forced by injury or illness to do much less time/intensity than they are accustomed to, or flat out change what the activity-of-choice has to be.

If it makes you less self-concious, you can simply report "Exercise - yes" and no more than that ... or you can be more detailed. You will see plenty of examples of both in the daily reports.

• BMcC9
    BMcC9 Posts: 4,364 Member
    Options
    It's so GREAT to see so many newcomers in the intros .... i urge you all to stick around and keep reporting NO MATTER WHAT might happen when Life (inevitably) Gets In The Way and you have to answer "no" to one or more of the questions for a fourth day.

The Winners Circle (3 or fewer passes in the month) is an external, tangible target. But no matter what - building the self-awareness that helps you refine and define what Sustainable Lifestyle Habits looks like for you (and nobody else) is the true secret that UAC will ultimately get you to so long as you stick to it.

If that should happen, just stick with the program, consider the rest of the month "Training Camp" until the 1st of next month, and aim for THAT month's Winners Circle. You will have sooo many valuable 'lessons learned' to bring forward to help you do even better then!