Joyful June

Options
themedalist
themedalist Posts: 3,212 Member
edited June 2020 in Social Groups
‪I’m running low on joy right now. Given the news and the pandemic, I’m sure I’m not alone in feeling that way. But even in the worst of times, there are good things all around us and things to be grateful for. So this month, I’m doing a #JoyfulJune challenge. A daily dose of good things! Please join me!‬

xoq6qyiy2bh2.jpeg

Replies

• themedalist
    Options
    I like how today's challenge is to DECIDE to look for what's good in our lives. Every change or new habit starts with the decision and a commitment to change. My happiness is solely my responsibility. It's on me to bring more joy into my life.

Today I heard birds chirping on my morning walk and there's full sunshine. My German Shepherd, Jack, who has severe arthritis is on a new pain medication and he's moving around better than he has in years. That's definitely making me happy! We're off to a good start!

Excited to be doing this and looking forward to hearing your stories!
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,836 Member
    Options
    Wonderful challenge @themedalist! Today, as I have been doing since shortly after the lockdown, I met with my sister, my daughters, and my granddaughters on Zoom to read the Harry Potter books aloud. We are all enjoying it - the high point of our day. Frankly, this is something we wouldn't have done if things were "normal."

@themedalist , I love hearing the sondgs of birds. Today on our walk we saw a hawk. - Pretty cool for the suburbs. So glad your dog is feeling better. I so appreciate the vets caring for our pets during this crisis.

@ihad, the exercise together is great. I'm seeing so many families out exercising together. I didn't know there were children in my neighborhood. Today a dad and two boys biked past us while my husband and I were out taking our walk, and the dad jumped a curb. I teased him about setting a bad example for his sons and he joked back that they would have to learn it somewhere. :smiley: It was a fun interaction.

@prgirl39mfp , I'm sure the smile shows in your eyes, so of course folks smiled back. :)
  • prgirl39mfp
    prgirl39mfp Posts: 3,154 Member
    Options
    Much luck to you @jlperiard putting yourself first is always good.

Day 2 for me In terms of reframing a worry.
    This are certainly scary times. It’s very easy for me to worry and feel anxious. Today I choose to be grateful. I am safe at home, food to eat, family that loves me. I find support and guidance when I need it in this group and other places. Keeping focused and mindful.
  • 77tes
    Options
    My meditation last night was about anxiety, and it talked about reframing worry. I was surprised how much better I felt. Like @prgirl39mfp said, being grateful for my safety is indeed helpful. For those I’m worried about - it helped me to pray for them and trust God to care for them. I certainly cannot keep them safe.
  • prgirl39mfp
    Options
    Well put @77tes
  • themedalist
    Options
    I’ve been thinking about today’s challenge throughout the day. This is a toughie. I can usually reframe a concern pretty easily. but what’s weighing on my mind the last few days is my Dad. Next week will be the one-year anniversary of his stroke. He’s been holding strong to the belief that eventually his body will fully recover and he’ll be able to resume the active life he had before. That’s not going to happen. That’s what strokes do. They change the trajectory of your life.

He’s very frustrated that no one has given him a plan for how he can fully recover. I’ve tried to gently nudge him toward “Let’s see what’s possible” but he’s clinging to his former life. And he’s really suffering for it.

So the only reframing I think I can do is acceptance. Maybe over time I can help my dad accept where he is and start envisioning a different future. I’m not sure I’ll be successful, but I know I need to try.
  • jlperiard
    jlperiard Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    ***BTW: if anyone had gone through a separation with kids and another man is involved, I would desperately love some advice and encouragement.
  • prgirl39mfp
    Options
    @jlperiard I am so sorry you are going through this. I have never been in that situation but my parents divorced when I was 4 and I still remember the day my father left. My mom and dad never again had a conversation but my mom took my dad to court all the time. That most certainly damaged whatever chance of communication they had and it affected me and my brother tremendously.

Your idea of talking to your children and include your husband in the conversation is the best you can do. Although you’re not married you’re stil a family unit, you’re still parents to these children and need to heal together. Wishing you the best. I understand it’s easier said than done.

@themedalist I am so sorry about your dad. It has to be so tough on him to cling to his old self and I don’t blame him. Accepting new realities specially for people from that generation can be tough. Recently heard a course on anxiety that suggests exactly that, acceptance of the problem or situation to make it work or more tolerable. Maybe you might need to accept that he may never accept it so you can concentrate on him being as comfortable as he can with his new life hoping he might have a change of heart. Wishing you both the best.
  • prgirl39mfp
    Options
    For the 3rd day of Joyful June Challenge here are the 3 things I am grateful for: my health( This past January I was diagnosed with pneumonia, which led to a 5 day hospitalization; lots of friends and family are certain it was Covid).

A new mattress: I had mine for 8 yrs and it was awful. Thankfully we were able to get one and it has made a great difference.

Social Media: in times like these I rely on my social media to find inspiration, laughter and show support. I control what I see and read. Lots of motivational pages and accounts. Also to keep in touch with friends and family during the pandemic.
  • texasgardnr
    texasgardnr Posts: 2,660 Member
    Options
    @themedalist, thank you so much for this newest addition to the discussions for the Building Healthy Habits group. At least for this month as I don't know if you plan to include the calendar theme next month.

I have been struggling since December, before there even was the addition of the Pandemic and all of the the current situations in the news. It is good to focus on something really positive like joy and happiness. I like the June's calendar focus on Joy.

I didn't realize that it is soon going to be the one-year anniversary of your father's stroke. What a long year for you and your family. The situation definitely remains a very difficult one for you as you watch how your father is dealing (or not) with this continuing new reality for his life. Hugs for you.

Here are three things that I'm grateful for today:

1) On one hand we finally had some rain recently! And on the other it has been bright and sunshiny the last two days, but not extremely hot like it had already been, and it being only May. But then again I have seen it break the 100 degree mark in April before. So I'm really extra grateful it's not super hot outside today 😁

2) I'm not in pain today like I have been quite often, and definitely not like I was several months ago. So I was able to do some walking based exercise yesterday and today. And so far hardly any pain and not a lot of swelling!

3) That I was able to do the laundry and hang it outside today! I love hanging laundry outside, especially when there is a gentle breeze or especially when there is a brisk wind! Gentle breeze today!

I missed day two yesterday because I finally logged in late last evening after being away most of May. I didn't spend too much time reading the calendar closely or looking around on their website as it was getting later. I really need day two's focus more often these days.

Has anyone used the app made by the Action for Happiness website? Kind of curious.

🤠🌺
  • themedalist
    Options
    @prgirl39mfp, thank you! You’ve given me the reframing I needed. I hope my Dad can accept his stroke and envision a different future. But he may not be able to do that. If so, the acceptance falls back to me. I need to accept that he may not change his perspective and just try to make him as comfortable as possible.

Great suggestions to @jlperiard as well.
  • themedalist
    Options
    Today’s challenge was so much easier! I am grateful for so many things and I always include a brief gratitude reflection in my morning meditation. It’s a great way to launch the day. My 3 things today: 1) my health and the energy and stamina I have to do what I need and want to do. 2) That my parent’s retirement community (500 residents) hasn’t had a single Covid case. Thank you to their super careful staff! 3) That it’s blueberry season!
  • 77tes
    Options
    @themedalist, acceptance may be the toughest struggle your father has ever had.

@jlperiard , like @prgirl39mfp , I too am a child of divorce, and I don’t think it was too hard on my younger sister and myself, but it was tougher on my older sister (11-12). My parents were always respectful to one another in front of us - I think that helped.

@texasgardnr , I’m so glad you are getting a break from pain.

June 3 - Three things I’m grateful for:

1. That my dear daughters are taking such wonderful care of my husband and myself. They’ve done all our shopping while we are self-isolating. I drove by the grocery store yesterday and saw the long line and it reminded me that it has been more than simply running to the store like I used to do.
    2. That I was able to transition to teaching online with little trouble.
    3. That a very kind friend is watching after my BILs house which we have not been able to look after.
  • nebslp
    nebslp Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    @themedalist I am sorry to hear that your dad is struggling so much after a year of recovery. When I first read your message about your dad believing that his body would fully recover from his stroke my first thought was "Wow, he's not a quitter"! Could it be that he's keeping the dream of going back to his active life becuase it's that hope that gets him up in the morning to do what he needs to do each day? Maybe that dream, however unrealistic, is all that lifts him up. Once you lose hope, what is left? Maybe with your gentle nudging to find things he can enjoy (while waiting for his body to heal) will be enough to soothe that ache he feels in the loss of his active life. Having your body fail you would be devastating, but losing hope in the future, well, that's even more painful. I pray for you both. There's probably nothing harder than seeing someone you love in pain, physical or emotional. Hugs to you.
  • prgirl39mfp
    Options
    @nebslp bravo!!! You are off to a great start. We are all in this together. Reach out when you need a little help. That’s what I will do!