midnight sun - 10 week fitness challenge!

Options
chanstriste13
chanstriste13 Posts: 3,277 Member
this is a partial week, so we'll hold off on the official check ins until next week. i'm thinking mondays? but then again, the book is released on a tuesday, so maybe we should make it tuesdays instead. so, our partial week one challenge:

twilight origins! we go back to the beginning!

7p13gy4jo8wn.png

1. first impressions of the start of the twilight journey (book or movie)
2. reflect on your journey, then give us a glimpse into the origins of your fitness journey
3. what you would like to accomplish in a focused ten weeks
4. monday or tuesday check-ins?

add your responses below, and let's do this in a sparkly kind of way!

Replies

• chanstriste13
    Options
    1. i first twilight advertised with a stand up poster of edward in a barnes and nobles, and was immediately offended because in my mind, robert pattinson was always and forever cedric diggory from the harry potter world. i have a tendency to resist hype (i resisted harry potter for a time, too - so much for that), so i dug in my heels with the intent of never giving it a chance. some time later, i was substitute teaching and heard two teachers have a fascinating subject of 'omigosh, did jacob just...' 'no, no, no, don't tell me! i didn't read further!' 'but it's bella's baby!' 'no, don't tell me yet!' they were talking about breaking dawn, of course, but i had no idea. i just knew that they were *really* into it. so, i surrendered, and went that day to purchase the first twilight book, and i was hooked.

2. my fitness journey goes back to high school, when i would use horseshoes from the garage as free weights. i used the gym sporadically through college, and worked out fairly regularly in my twenties, but i didn't really start working out and eating well with focused intent until 2010. that was when i joined mfp and lost 31 pounds. love, love, love that i accomplished this. but i threw in the towel after i kept logging in my food and working out just as much, but did not lose any more weight. after about a year of this, i quit. eight years later, i find myself worse off than i was before - ten pounds heavier than my heaviest ever - and am pretty much starting over. one thing that i expect to be different is that my knowledge base for eating well and working out is greater than it was the first time around. i know a lot of the things to do already, so i just have to hunker down and do them.

3. in this ten week span, i want to focus on setting and maintaining my habits - my struggle has always been consistency, so i am hoping that this will help me stay the course.

4. i can't decide. maybe tuesday. yes, i'll say tuesday.
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,957 Member
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Cool! 😎 I’ll be back to comment in a bit. @w8sarge
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,957 Member
    Options
    1. I had seen the Twilight movie trailer (Edward saving Bella from Van) and thought it looked cool, but I figured the books would be dumb. (I was a bit of a book snob). Then my daughter read them while stuck in the house for months while her kids had chicken pox and shingles. She asked me to read them, so I took pity on her and did. I was hooked in very short order.
    2. A photo is what started me on my healthy journey. It was my granddaughter’s christening. There I was trying to hide behind an 8 pound baby. There was my slim husband beside me. When I saw that picture, I knew I had to do something. I talked with my sister and we decided to start doing something more active than meeting for lunch. So, we began doing English Country Dance and joined Curves. Instead of having lunch, we met together 3 times per week to exercise and we went to dance classes a couple times per month. My weight-loss hasn’t been without problems, but I’ve eventually managed each problem as it came. Although, I’ve over 60 – 10 years later I’m down about 50 pounds and more active than I ever have been. That’s a win!
    3. In the next 10 weeks I’d really like to nail down my maintenance. Since I’m not going to Curves because of Covid, I need to get a regular routine of workouts.
    4. Either Monday or Tuesday is fine with me. I have a slight preference for Tuesday.
    6nb1qtwqvvov.jpeg
  • chanstriste13
    Options
    77tes wrote: »
    My weight-loss hasn’t been without problems, but I’ve eventually managed each problem as it came. Although, I’ve over 60 – 10 years later I’m down about 50 pounds and more active than I ever have been. That’s a win!

this is so encouraging! i am hoping that this time around, i will stay the course and work through any problems as they come instead of giving up!

• thereisnospo0n
    thereisnospo0n Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I’ve been meaning to answer the “Twilight origins” questions but haven’t been able to carve out the time yet - in the meantime, I just wanted to say Hi to all the members of this group! I’m a certified Twilight nut (by chance I’ve been to the actual town of Forks, and def did a Twi location scavenger hunt while there!). I’m new on MFP, please feel free to add me as friends! Look forward to chatting with you guys soon :) ❤️
  • chanstriste13
    Options
    hello! we haven't really had much of a turnout for the midnight sun challenge (back when the breaking dawn movies were coming out, this group was KICKIN'!). i ended up joining a harry potter challenge group, but i wouldn't mind coming up with some twilight challenges, too, or at least reminiscing about the old twilight fixation! i still watch through the movies, and i revisit the books at least once a year!

we got to go to forks, too - sooooo cool! it's been ten year now - i would love to go back. we've been up to oregon a couple of times since then, but not as far north as washington. beautiful territory!

• w8sarge
    w8sarge Posts: 3,841 Member
    Options
    I'm here and looking forward to the Midnight Sun challenge!

I enjoyed reading about your resistance to Twilight, @chanstriste13! I really wondered how my sister (@77tes) could've gone off the deep end! But then I discovered it and got my daughter and DH into it as well. My hubby has read Midnight Sun more times than I have!

I had been an active kid so didn't think I needed an exercise program until after I had my third kid. But then I only dieted sporadically and really thought to diet is to die! So the weight kept creeping on until I started working out regularly at Curves, then really came off when I found MFP.I love that I now eat better and include foods I love. I'm just about maintenance now, but without a challenge I get lazy and bored and eat too much. Need to run with the wolves again!