Overeaters Anonymous?

Options
lilyann001
lilyann001 Posts: 75 Member
Hi! I am considering joining overeaters anonymous. I am an emotional overeater and currently obese.
I want to find an in-person group where we can talk and support each other with not emotionally overeating.
Do any of you have opinions on how Overeaters Anonymous? Do any of you have experience with this group? Thank you.

Replies

• lamlamsmakeover
    lamlamsmakeover Posts: 6,574 Member
    Options
    Go on oa.org. There are podcasts and schedules of meetings in person, on the phone, etc. I finally got my nerve up and called in a couple times. You don't have to ID yourself if you don't want to. I tend to get socially anxious, so I find this nice. I haven't been able to do it lately, but it's a start. My husband is a big believer in face-to-face meetings. If you are on Facebook, they have a couple private OA groups where I find a lot of encouragement from.
  • MrsSloffee
    MrsSloffee Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I've found a Zoom meeting through OA.org that works great with my schedule. I just started in April when face-to-face were closed due to the pandemic. So until I know that the f2f meetings are going on, I'm just going to zoom.

I started with some online realtime chat meetings and it was okay, but my zoom ones were what really got things clicking.

If you're interested in it, their website oa.org has a bookstore where you can purchase pamphlets. They really explain how OA works and how to do it. There's a bunch of different pamphlets and range from 20 cents to about $4.

The ones I read that seemed to help me were: "Where do I start?" "To the Newcomer" "The tools of recovery" "Dignity of choice" "A Plan of eating" and "Before you take that first compulsive bite, remember..."

And what's nice is you can still use MFP.
  • lamlamsmakeover
    lamlamsmakeover Posts: 6,574 Member
    Options
    I've listened in on the phone meetings before to the newcomer meetings. I like them. I haven't got my nerve up to try a Zoom OA meeting yet. I've gotten the books, too. I just have to work the program.
  • ladyzherra
    ladyzherra Posts: 438 Member
    edited August 2020
    Options
    A dear friend of mine has attended meetings for years. I feel encouraged to go. The style of meetings did not resonnate with me, personally, but the group was very supportive and kind. It certainly is a good fit for some people
  • alligatorob
    alligatorob Posts: 736 Member
    Options
    Years ago I was an OA person and it did me a lot of good. In the end my problem was the spirituality thing, I had none and much of their program is based on it. If that works for you I would recommend giving it a try, they are good people with good ideas. I still remember and use some of what I learned.
  • katiemcm1125
    katiemcm1125 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I would not recommend joining OA if you have Binge-Eating Disorder. It is a very restrictive program steeped in diet culture and can be really harmful.
  • theyburn2608
    theyburn2608 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've been a member of OA for many years, then thought I knew it all and went into relapse for 15 years. My eating was a disaster and I became grossly over weight which nearly destroyed my health. I came back to OA in Jan 2020 and have lost over 75 pounds with their help. The groups are loving and supportive. There is no specific diet, we have food plans to choose from that can work for anyone. There are no dues or fees for membership, we ask for donations at the at the meetings ($1-$3) but don't stay away if money is tight. We have face to face, zoom, & phone meetings. Please check out OA.org for more info. You are not alone any more, welcome home.
  • putotherpeoplefirst
    putotherpeoplefirst Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I did go to OA but it did not work for me but a number of the other attendees found that the program completely changed their lives for the better. Try it and see if it suits you.