July Goals

Options
emmies_123
emmies_123 Posts: 513 Member
Hi Ladies,

I know it is a bit early but I wanted to propose we all think about our July goals. This way nothing is spur of the moment, and we can plan and prepare our mindsets to tackle the next step!

What stages are y'all at? What is your focus, nutrition or fitness, or both? Good advice is to not let yourself get weighed down by too many goals, especially at the start of your wellness journey!

If you are focusing on nutrition what is your goal for July?
Examples of the steps I took, in order:
-Focus on snacking: reduce snacks from my day. Change out snacks to healthier alternatives.
Tips: Track on how long snacks fill you up, an apple isn't helping if you need another snack soon after. Were you hungry or snacking due to boredom/emotions?
-Cook more at home instead of eating out.
Prep work: find recipes I could cook. Plan out shopping trips to minimize time at store. Find things I could cook in batches and heat up during the work week
-Focus on nutrition more than CICO: This is the step I'm at now, after 2 yrs of nutrition work. I do not have any health concerns so I could afford to let macro mgmt be a final step.
Start with one macro and get consistent at hitting it. If also doing exercise, I would suggest you start with protein. Then add a second macro. Then a third, etc.
My order was Protein -> Fat -> Sodium -> Sugar -> Fiber. Carbs have never been an issue for me

If you are focusing on fitness, what is your July goal?
Examples of the step I took, in order:
-Just get moving regularly! I am a very sedentary person, I have an office job and all my hobbies require me to sit still. So my first step was to chisel out time in my day to move, regardless of how.
Tip: Try to find a time you can routinely do your movement, that helps your brain recognize "This is my exercise time" and make it a habit. We don't have kids, so we have more opportunities to take time for ourselves. Try to commit to 15 mins a day at first.
-Experiment with workout formats to see what you like. For me, this ended up being full length video workouts, in particular one youtube trainer. Before that I tried making up workouts from individual move sets, other trainer videos I didn't gel with, walking, workout video games, etc.
Be prepared for this to evolve over time, and go back and try different things as you get more comfortable with yourself and your fitness level
-Are you ready to push yourself that little step farther? Do you have a personal goal, something you have always wanted to be able to do? Then go for it! Dedicate time each day to working towards mastering that movement.
Prep work: Do you need new/better gear to get the most out of practice? What is a realistic daily/weekly goal to work on this? Is this on top of your regular routine you have already established, or instead of?

I have probably skipped over the smaller steps I took, it is hard to look back over two years or more of work and know when I did everything. If you have any questions or insight into what has worked for you please share =)

Replies

• emmies_123
    Options
    For my July goals:

-Nutrition: Keep focusing on hitting my macros and getting in 8+ glasses of water.
    -Fitness:
    *Continuing with virtual crossfit workouts 5 days a week
    *Extra 1-5 mins each day to focus on a personal move goal. Instead of focusing on one goal, working on progressing 5 goals slowly, with attention paid to good form and consistency.

What I've done to prepare myself for working on these goals:

-Bought home gym gear. Already had weight set, got myself sliders, jump rope, and resistance bands.
    -Have recipes printed to try out, mostly breakfast, vegetable dishes, and healthier desserts.
    -Made calendar on Google Docs with a plan on which move I'm practicing each day of July, and rep count/time goal. Made sure to space out cardio base vs strength base to avoid fatigue.
    -Taking time to re-organize my brain away from crossfit on weekend, more towards neighborhood walk/video game workout instead. This way I don't feel I have to do it all
  • chanstriste13
    chanstriste13 Posts: 3,277 Member
    Options
    my goals for nutrition are pretty cut and dry: stop eating crap. that's my usual game, so for july, i'll make it specific to only eating pizza once a week. wish me luck, though - seriously. i also want to keep my water intake to 64 ounces daily; i'm not going to push for more quite yet.

for fitness, my july goal will be to get my workouts listed and organized. i need some system to pull from in an organized manner. i know a lot of different moves, but i don't think about what i'm going to do until i'm ready to start, so then i spend a lot of time trying to figure out what i just did yesterday or forgot to do last week, etc. i really want to get some kind of system in place to make sure i'm not overworking certain muscle groups, and also for my sanity!

additionally, i'm upping my forearm plank holds to one minute for july. i started doing 30 seconds in may, bumped it up to 45 for june, and will add another 15 seconds on for july. i tried to do a 'planksgiving' challenge last november, and it went waaaay too fast for me - there was no way i was going to be holding a 3 minute plank in 30 days! if i keep up what i'm doing, though, i should be able to hold a 2 minute plank by the end of november, so i'll just keep at it!
  • chanstriste13
    Options
    @emmies_123

what youtube trainer did you end up liking so? i have gone through the betty rocker 30 day challenge, which i LOVED, and i have recently looked into holly dolke's 30 day program.

also, something i started doing to signify my workout time is lighting a candle each morning. it is a habit/ritual that tells me that once i light the wick, the following time is for me. it helps me stay focused because it's just kind of cool to do, but it also keeps me from thinking about changing/showering/thinking about the moves i'm going to do/how much time it will take/etc. i just have to think about lighting that candle, and then everything just feels like it falls into place easier.
  • emmies_123
    Options
    my goals for nutrition are pretty cut and dry: stop eating crap. that's my usual game, so for july, i'll make it specific to only eating pizza once a week. wish me luck, though - seriously. i also want to keep my water intake to 64 ounces daily; i'm not going to push for more quite yet.

for fitness, my july goal will be to get my workouts listed and organized. i need some system to pull from in an organized manner. i know a lot of different moves, but i don't think about what i'm going to do until i'm ready to start, so then i spend a lot of time trying to figure out what i just did yesterday or forgot to do last week, etc. i really want to get some kind of system in place to make sure i'm not overworking certain muscle groups, and also for my sanity!

additionally, i'm upping my forearm plank holds to one minute for july. i started doing 30 seconds in may, bumped it up to 45 for june, and will add another 15 seconds on for july. i tried to do a 'planksgiving' challenge last november, and it went waaaay too fast for me - there was no way i was going to be holding a 3 minute plank in 30 days! if i keep up what i'm doing, though, i should be able to hold a 2 minute plank by the end of november, so i'll just keep at it!

This is awesome! And yes, narrowing down the "no crap" to just pizza is a good way to start. It keeps you from being overwhelmed! When I started one of my goals was to stop eating Chinese buffet weekly, and move to once a month instead. Also tried to go from having chocolate as a snack all day to just having it after dinner. Helped a lot!

Great job on the plank holds! I'm working on my low form plank (to protect wrists) and my july goal is to hold regular low plank for a minute, and then side planks for 30 sec each side. I also tried a planksgiving challenge and it was not fun! I've also done a wall-sit challenge and a glute bridge challenge lately.

For organizing your fitness, maybe take some time to plan out a week's worth of routines? Or find a video trainer you like that can tell you what to do and how many. Then you already have it ready to go when you have time to work out later in the week. When I was doing youtube videos the trainer would release 4-6 week programs with suggested youtube links for each day. At the start of the program I would bookmark all the videos in order, labeled "Week 1 day 1" etc, so all I had to do each day was click a link and start moving.
  • emmies_123
    Options
    @emmies_123

what youtube trainer did you end up liking so? i have gone through the betty rocker 30 day challenge, which i LOVED, and i have recently looked into holly dolke's 30 day program.

also, something i started doing to signify my workout time is lighting a candle each morning. it is a habit/ritual that tells me that once i light the wick, the following time is for me. it helps me stay focused because it's just kind of cool to do, but it also keeps me from thinking about changing/showering/thinking about the moves i'm going to do/how much time it will take/etc. i just have to think about lighting that candle, and then everything just feels like it falls into place easier.

I did Jessica Smith TV. I started with some full body low-impact workouts, then tried her 4-6 week programs using the suggested youtube links.

Currently I also like watching Jorden Yeoh, although I haven't tried any of his personally. My gym is doing zoom workouts and that is 45 mins a day right there.

My old workout routine, when I first started, was to get workout clothes at the end of the bed the night before and immediately change into them. Then i just had to click a video link to start, and with the full length guided workouts I was better about not taking extended breaks etc. These days I tend to work out the second I get home from work, or as soon as I wake up on the weekends. With office hours I can maintain routine this way.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    I'm a week late, but still before July, lol. My focus is probably going to be on three things:

1) Getting myself ready mentally for strength training. By that I mean that I've been neglecting my strength training (well, ignoring it completely :neutral: ) because I'm too focused on the number on the scale going down (strength training causes water retention for me).
    And perhaps I might even do recomp for a while, since my skin seems to be struggling a bit, which is an even bigger challenge mentally, since I'm still about 8kg from my (provisional) goal weight.
    As a side note, I need to:
    - take some proper measurements and progress pictures beforehand, especially if I'm going to do recomp
    - figure out what program to follow
    - order a power cage to replace my 'rickety' current set-up at home (well, this is optional, but I would like to upgrade)

2) I'm going on holiday for a week and I need to decide how I'm going to handle that food-wise. We'll be renting a house, so I'll be able to log my food accurately at least partially and then approximately when eating out. Or alternatively I could just not log at all (but I'm addicted to data, so that's not an idea that appeals to me at this point). In the same vein of data addiction, I'll be taking my bathroom scale with me :lol:
    I'm thinking this might be a good time for a diet break/refeed, since I've pretty much been in a deficit (weekly average) since August. My chosen weight loss rate is slow, so that would only be 275 kcal more per day (and I might overshoot that just by logging approximately), but it might do me some good anyway.

3) There is a famous walking event in Belgium called "March of the Dead" which has been cancelled due to Covid-19. The event entails walking 100km (62miles) in 24 hours, but as it has been cancelled, they've created an alternative virtual challenge to walk 100km in one month, and I've registered for this challenge.
  • melaniedscott
    melaniedscott Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    My goals for July are to continue keeping the water drinking going (vs just the drinking >:) ) and to walk >30 per day. I've done pretty well with that. My original goal for the summer was to lose 10 lbs by Aug but something is up with me or my scale...
  • emmies_123
    Options
    Those are great goals Lietchi and Melaniedscott!

Keep us updated on how you are doing with meeting those goals, any adjustments you might need to make.

Today is day 1, and I have to remember to do my personal goal challenge later. 10 toe pushups with good form by the end of the day!
  • chanstriste13
    Options
    i am having a hell of a week and trying to get my mojo back! i think that tomorrow, 7/2 will have to serve as my 7/1. today is pretty much shot...
  • emmies_123
    Options
    i am having a hell of a week and trying to get my mojo back! i think that tomorrow, 7/2 will have to serve as my 7/1. today is pretty much shot...

Some days go like that. Each day is a new start =) Take some deep breaths and banish the bad juju =)

I hope today has been better, and that the weekend is great!
  • emmies_123
    Options
    How is everyone doing on their July goals? What are your victories to share?

For myself it has been a learning experience. I have done well at keeping on top of the personal fitness goals for the month but my nutrition has taken a hit. Still not totally off the rails, and still logging, but my fat macro is much higher than it should be. Hopefully next week I will get back on target!

Non-scale victories:
    1. I can sometimes do two double-unders in a row before missing =)
    2. I am continuing to run my interval portions despite living in SC. Even if it means getting up to be out the door at 7am to do it "comfortably"
    3. I'm continuing to practice cooking (something I never really touched prior to this year)
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    July has been 'interesting' so far. I had some sort of bug for over a week, whereby I ate somewhere between a 275 kcal deficit and maintenance.
    Then my period, again hovering between a small deficit and maintenance.
    And now on holiday, also hovering between a deficit and maintenance. Or so I think: I've been logging everything, but obviously restaurant meals are approximate. Yesterday it was 1700 calories for a three course meal with a glass of wine :open_mouth: Fortunately that was after a long hike.

So with regards to the goals I mentioned:
    Lietchi wrote: »
    I'm a week late, but still before July, lol. My focus is probably going to be on three things:

1) Getting myself ready mentally for strength training. By that I mean that I've been neglecting my strength training (well, ignoring it completely :neutral: ) because I'm too focused on the number on the scale going down (strength training causes water retention for me).
    And perhaps I might even do recomp for a while, since my skin seems to be struggling a bit, which is an even bigger challenge mentally, since I'm still about 8kg from my (provisional) goal weight.
    As a side note, I need to:
    - take some proper measurements and progress pictures beforehand, especially if I'm going to do recomp
    - figure out what program to follow
    - order a power cage to replace my 'rickety' current set-up at home (well, this is optional, but I would like to upgrade)

2) I'm going on holiday for a week and I need to decide how I'm going to handle that food-wise. We'll be renting a house, so I'll be able to log my food accurately at least partially and then approximately when eating out. Or alternatively I could just not log at all (but I'm addicted to data, so that's not an idea that appeals to me at this point). In the same vein of data addiction, I'll be taking my bathroom scale with me :lol:
    I'm thinking this might be a good time for a diet break/refeed, since I've pretty much been in a deficit (weekly average) since August. My chosen weight loss rate is slow, so that would only be 275 kcal more per day (and I might overshoot that just by logging approximately), but it might do me some good anyway.

3) There is a famous walking event in Belgium called "March of the Dead" which has been cancelled due to Covid-19. The event entails walking 100km (62miles) in 24 hours, but as it has been cancelled, they've created an alternative virtual challenge to walk 100km in one month, and I've registered for this challenge.

1) strength training not yet, that's for my return from holiday, but hovering just under or at maintenance quite suited me, having a bit more leeway when hungry.
    I might do that instead of 'full' maintenance and recomp.

2) well, I obviously decided to log while on holiday :smile:

3) I'm at almost 40km so far, so 100km by the 13th of August should be easy. Hiking has become so much easier than before, weighing 45lbs less!

Other 'victory': I ran (jogged) my second 10k on the treadmill last week (while on my period, a second victory :lol:)
  • emmies_123
    Options
    Keep it up Lietchi! That is amazing!! And yes doing any workout while on our periods is a double win!

This week has been a roller-coaster for me. Trying to focus on mental health as I caught myself devolving back into bad habits an I don't want to be that person again (mentally, nutrition is on track). So as part of that I guess going back to mental exercises as well in August =P Trying to ease back into them this week, as reflection and journaling do not come naturally to me.