First Marathon for October 2020.

Replies

• pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    dewd2 wrote: »
    pondee629 wrote: »
    Just received an e mail that my planned Woolworth double for Labor Day, Sept 7, has been cancelled. That was my best hope for a trial race before the Marathon. With that gone, I'm wondering if the Marathon in October will stay.

Steamtown just got scrapped so I'm not hopeful. I'm taking a different approach for my training for Richmond. I'm going to assume it is on until they say it isn't but I'm not going to rain specifically for it. I'll still get enough miles to run it when (if) it happens. I'll focus on going fast in the Spring...

You should know weeks out if it gets canceled so you won't have to do the longest of the long runs but if you keep the base you built you'll be ready to really go for it in the Spring.

Good luck.

Planning on sticking with Higdon's Novice Marathon Training Program until I hear. And if I don't hear, I'll have stuck to the training plan. Never have I gone over 13.1 miles, so...
  • pondee629
    And week 13, or the first week of the 18 week novice Marathon training plan, is in the books: 4 runs; 3.5 miles, 3.6, 3.4 and the long run of 6 for a total of 16.5. Working on that easy pace in an effort to be able to cover the distance. Sure is getting hot and humid.
  • pondee629
    Week 14/2; 4 runs; 3.5, 3.5, 3.5 and the long run of 7 miles for a total of 17.5. Though it sometimes feels like I'm hardly moving, I am trying to keep my heart rate in the easy/aerobic zones (2&3) with varing degrees of success. I don't know why I feel better in zone 4, about 140-150 bpm, but just can't keep that up. So, I'm trying. 16 weeks to the race. Hope sprongs eternal.
  • pondee629
    The month of June has ended thusly: 18 runs; 71 miles; long run of 7. The beat goes on to October.
  • pondee629
    And, later, after a 4 mile run, while taking a glass out of the dishwasher, I hurt my back. Seems like I pulled muscles and didn't do anything more serious. But, I'll be taking it easy for several days.
  • pondee629
    As previously reported I hurt my back Wednesday July 1. Since then, for the week ending July 10, I did two runs of 3 (Thursday the 9th) and 6 miles (Saturday). Hoping to get back on track and stay there. Feeling better, though a little sore. Core exercises have been re-introduced. Still pending a decision on the Atlantic City Marathon in October.
  • pondee629
    Week end update: 4 runs ( 5, 3, 3.5 and 7.16) total of 18.70. That back mishap has me behind my program, the long run should have been 10 miles. Perhaps once the extra exercises, core and leg, kick in I'll stop feeling like I'm regressing. October is still on,as in we haven't been told it's cancelled. Caught between doing what I can and feeling that it won't be enough.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    You're still in good shape. Don't try to make it up or do more than the plan even if you stay slightly behind for a couple weeks. Building up to these long runs isn't easy and your body can only handle so much. Luckily there's still plenty of time and most plans have redundant runs in them (you'll have more chances to run that distance before it gets really long).

Keep at it. The runs in the heat of summer will help when the temps drop in October.
  • pondee629
    dewd2 wrote: »
    You're still in good shape. Don't try to make it up or do more than the plan even if you stay slightly behind for a couple weeks. Building up to these long runs isn't easy and your body can only handle so much. Luckily there's still plenty of time and most plans have redundant runs in them (you'll have more chances to run that distance before it gets really long).

Keep at it. The runs in the heat of summer will help when the temps drop in October.

Thanks, it is surprising how easy it is to get down on yourself.
  • pondee629
    From the Marathon web site: "After significant consideration of the state guidelines, talks with members of our community and city officials, and review of our course, the Atlantic City Marathon Race Series has made the difficult decision to cancel the in - person versions of our races for the remainder of 2020." On to 2021.
  • pondee629
    So, news not withstanding, July was a slow month, what with getting hurt, my back, and extreme heat, 9 runs for 40 miles. Now on to increased base building for my first marathon in 2021
  • pondee629
    So I took a week off after hearing my Marathon was cancelled. Back on the road yesterday for 3.17 miles easy. Hot, humid and ugly. Got the miles in but it was not pretty not fast.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,675 Member
    I'm sorry about the race. There are still races happening, but they are scarce. Will you try for a race next spring? I find it much easier to train in winter than in summer heat and humidity.
  • pondee629
    I'm sorry about the race. There are still races happening, but they are scarce. Will you try for a race next spring? I find it much easier to train in winter than in summer heat and humidity.

Looking at a Woolworth double in a neighboring town Memorial Day (end of May). We'll see. I have deferred my registration for the Atlantic City Marathon to next october.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,675 Member
    If you live in NJ, you might consider Coastal Delaware in April. Start serious training in late December or early January. Alternately, Myrtle Beach in early March of Virginia Beach in mid-March.
  • pondee629
    OK, so I need a push to get restarted, Signed up for a virtual race(run). The Routes 1-9 George Washington Bridge to Cape May Ferry, October 1 through December 25, 175 miles total, or about 60 miles a month. Just slacked off since my Marathon was postponed and needed to get going again. Sailing with my brother next week so this all begins on 10/5.
  • pondee629
    So, started back up after taking too much time off after the marathon was postponed. Last week was spend on my brothers sail boat sailing the Chesapeake Bay. Yesterday 3.11 miles. I'm now 1.8% into my virtual race from the G.W. Bridge to Cape May NJ, 162 of 170 placement in "Palisades Park". It's a start.
  • johnmcc215
    johnmcc215 Posts: 40 Member
    I just noticed NJ marathon is also virtual, considering it if there is no cost to move my registration from next spring to the virtual.
  • johnmcc215
    johnmcc215 Posts: 40 Member
    Meant to add I was running Atlantic City also, ran it last year loved it.
  • pondee629
    With October gone, I am 63.61 miles into my 175 mile run (36.3%) from the George Washington Bridge to Cape May. 63 miles for my first month back ain't too shabby. Just about on schedule to make Cape may by Christmas. just trying to keep up until a Marathon schedule kick in for October 2021. Can you change the title to First Marathon October 2021?