• ElBence
    ElBence Posts: 291 Member
    7,500 yards today. ~ 2hr. 20 min.
  • Bruceapple
    Bruceapple Posts: 2,026 Member
    WOW good swimming!
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,257 Member
    I envy you guys getting your swims in. My knees and hips are aching with all of the walking I have been doing. I'm ready to invest in a water rower. If only I had somewhere to put one... It's cheaper and easier than building an endless pool--my dream!

Keep up the great swims and do a few laps for those of us who can't yet.
  • kayak4water
    kayak4water Posts: 155 Member
    The YMCA pool in my town opened June 22. I swam
  • kayak4water
    five days. Today I took a break to beef up my blueberry cage against deer, birds and weather
  • girlwithcurls2
    Oh no. :( We just got an email from the mayor. The pool and gym I go to are part of the city's parks and rec. They were already underfunded, but COVID has wiped them out. Every community center across the city is now closed indefinitely. I could look around for another pool to join, but there aren't many, and even worse, they're not affordable. I took up swimming so that if I needed to know how, I would (rehab an injury, arthritis preventing as much running as I want, whatever). I had no idea how much I would enjoy it and how awesome it is as a full body workout. I'm not sure what to do now. I'm a bit at loose ends... :cry:
  • Bruceapple
    Today: 1 mile @ 52 minutes
  • Bruceapple
    Today: 1.5 miles @ 72 minutes
  • kayak4water
    Oh no. :( We just got an email from the mayor. The pool and gym I go to are part of the city's parks and rec. They were already underfunded, but COVID has wiped them out. Every community center across the city is now closed indefinitely. I could look around for another pool to join, but there aren't many, and even worse, they're not affordable. I took up swimming so that if I needed to know how, I would (rehab an injury, arthritis preventing as much running as I want, whatever). I had no idea how much I would enjoy it and how awesome it is as a full body workout. I'm not sure what to do now. I'm a bit at loose ends... :cry:

That's really sad. Our YMCA pool opened June 22 with serious pandemic defenses, but it's open. Wish you lived here (Aberdeen, Washington)

I hope your town can find the funds to open. After all, they do still have to maintain the pool. Might as well have swimmers.

I swam today. We get 45 minutes. We can sign up at six different times during weekdays, four times Saturday. The population density is pretty low here 31 cases of COVID-19 in this county, but this little virus is really scary.
    Sundays, if it isn't raining I paddle my canoe with friends (definitely at least six feet apart)
    I don't run. If the pool isn't open or in poor weather, I'll walk 3-7 miles, or just do some house or yard work. Once my phone recorded 20,000 steps for a long day doing the yard

Good luck!
  • Bruceapple
    Today: 1 mile @ 52 minutes
  • Bruceapple
    Today; 1 mile @ 52 minutes
  • kayak4water
    Swam yesterday. 45 minutes split between the four strokes
    I love doing all of them, even if I'm not proficient. Sometimes, I can feel like I've got it right (I probably didn't) giving me a little boost on the good feeling I get after each swim

Cheers!
  • girlwithcurls2
    Great swims, guys! We're hoping that there will be a funding solution and the parks department won't have to rely on user fees, but there are some other pressing issues around here (Portland, OR) that have taken a front row seat.

In the meantime, I walk (ouch, knee), garden (sort of like Pilates! lunges and such), and do body weight workouts. But I miss my swims terribly.

Keep it up!
  • kayak4water
    Great swims, guys! We're hoping that there will be a funding solution and the parks department won't have to rely on user fees, but there are some other pressing issues around here (Portland, OR) that have taken a front row seat.

In the meantime, I walk (ouch, knee), garden (sort of like Pilates! lunges and such), and do body weight workouts. But I miss my swims terribly.

Keep it up!

It IS important to keep Portland weird. Kudos to the protest Moms and the Dads with leaf blowers!

Chin up! Let's keep our thoughts focused on pool reopening for Portland!
    Cheers
  • kayak4water
    For the 4th time I touched "Done" in the upper right corner instead of "Post Reply" and lost it all again.

~43 minutes in the water today. Equal time for 4 strokes. Drills, partial stroke, full stroke. Often forget to focus on sucking hard when my mouth clears the water>>more out of breath than warranted!

Cheers!
  • beerfoamy
    beerfoamy Posts: 1,521 Member
    Back in the pool on Saturday! And again this morning! 1km each time.
    Not lost too much speed but gods my endurance is waaaaay down. Hahaha but yay swimming!!!
  • Bruceapple
    Today: 1 mile @ 49 minutes
  • Bruceapple
    Today: 1 mile @ 52
  • Kupla71
    Kupla71 Posts: 1,112 Member
    The pool in my building reopened! My first swim was 50 minutes of breaststroke. I was amazed I had the endurance after being away for so long. I tried a little front crawl. I’m only starting to learn how to breathe with that one. All around I’m happy with my swim! 😃 Feels great!!