Water

Options
mrvivinwales
mrvivinwales Posts: 36 Member
I read an adult male should drink 3.7 litres of water a day which works out for me 10 glasses of water a day, which seems quite a lot to me. Taking into consideration the tea and coffee I drink should I deduct the water I use for the tea and coffee?

Replies

• Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    The water recommendation was originally from all sources, including food, so I personally don't worry too much about hitting whatever goal. However, it can often be useful to work on just drinking more water than you currently do. I found it helps to keep a water bottle around, so you can make it a sort of mindless action to take a swig every so often. Then, you can set a goal to fill it up at least twice a day, for example. With a 1 liter water bottle, that's a little over halfway to that 3.7l goal.

That said, coffee and tea do count, because they're both nearly entirely water. However, be sure to include any cream or caloric sweetener you use in your counts if you count/track calories/macros. (The water bottle trick can also help break any caloric coffee/tea or excess caffeine habit you want to break.)
  • sarahkatzenelson452
    sarahkatzenelson452 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Sry, as far as I know tea (black) and coffee are both potent diuretics, so I don't count them in water. I
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure you've miscalculated.... I'm Canadian and there are just over 15 &1/2 cups of water in 3.7 litres. That's an awful lot of water.....
  • mrvivinwales
    mrvivinwales Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    canadjineh wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure you've miscalculated.... I'm Canadian and there are just over 15 &1/2 cups of water in 3.7 litres. That's an awful lot of water.....
    I agree it does seem a lot of water my glass contains 350 mils of water I have since I asked the question now have an app on my phone and after putting in my details they recommend 2590ml = 7.4 glasses per day.thanks for your input.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    I read an adult male should drink 3.7 litres of water a day which works out for me 10 glasses of water a day, which seems quite a lot to me. Taking into consideration the tea and coffee I drink should I deduct the water I use for the tea and coffee?

Views on the amount of water are all over the board. In my case the 3.7 litres/1 gallon daily works well. I do not count coffee or tea in my case.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    Sry, as far as I know tea (black) and coffee are both potent diuretics, so I don't count them in water. I

Not really, there is enough water in coffee and tea to outweigh any water lost because of the caffeine. I can't find the graphic right now, but there is one floating around that shows a study where Coke was better at hydrating you than plain water (probably because there is a little more salt in the Coke so the body retains the water from the Coke better).
  • sarahkatzenelson452
    sarahkatzenelson452 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Int
  • rseneca724
    rseneca724 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    One of the measurement guidelines I recently heard is half of your body weight in ounces. I generally go over that, but don't stress too much if I don't.