Any emotional eaters in this group? What triggers you?

tmbg1
tmbg1 Posts: 1,268 Member
I'm an emotional eater. My main trigger is stress from worrying about my teenage daughter. When she's having mood swings or is upset, I deal with it by eating. She has depression so it's hard to deal with. I also get triggered if someone upsets me at work. I've been working during quarantine to try and figure out if I'm hungry or stressed/sad.

Replies

• stella7x7
    stella7x7 Posts: 2,597 Member
    I'm an emotional eater as well. My trigger is when I'm sad about something. I go for the food. Some times I'm able to fight it off now tho.
  • tmbg1
    tmbg1 Posts: 1,268 Member
    I'm working on fighting it off. It's a hard habit to break.
  • MsAdventure19
    MsAdventure19 Posts: 104 Member
    It’s a hard thing to do. I have realized in the past decade or so that I have binge eating issues and have been a binge eater since I was a young child. I think it likely started out as my child way of dealing with family stress and abuse issues but I never really recognized it.

Once I recognized and named the binge eating I was able to stop for about 2 years and build better habits (and loose weight), but once I got healthier, I dropped some of my discipline with logging food and holding myself accountable for good eating and exercise and everything slid back. This time around, I am reconciling with the fact that I will have to use daily strategies to maintain healthy eating for the rest of my life, not just when I’m trying to loose weight. It can be a little overwhelming or discouraging at times, but I try to remind myself that people deal with chronic health stuff like diabetes or alcoholism or any number of other things have to work to manage their condition every day for their whole lives, too. This is my burden, but it’s manageable. Hopefully I can really hold on to good routines in the long run!