Intermittent fasting on keto

JanesWorld1985
JanesWorld1985 Posts: 11 Member
I broke my 36 hour fast with a nice juicy T-Bone steak and a cute little healthy salad. This is the first time I’ve gone that long without eating (besides when I was young and partying)
I feel so satisfied after eating which doesn’t happen often. Who else does intermittent fasting? How long do you go before you eat?

Replies

• paruwka1010
    paruwka1010 Posts: 2 Member
    Same as you, Alternate Day Fasting (ADF). 36 - 40 hour fast then have a small meal followed by a normal size meal a couple hours later. I rarely feel hungry. I have become aware I used to eat from boredom or social expectations. Food tastes so much better and I really enjoy every mouthful.
  • clk142
    clk142 Posts: 10 Member
    I would love to be able to fast for 36 hours- what time of the day did you start? What did you have to drink?
  • Beckett3000
    Beckett3000 Posts: 6 Member
    I do a 16/8 daily, sometimes up to a 20/4, and find it easy. I haven't thought much about doing anything longer. Can you share more about why you do it and what benefit you get?
  • dawkson2017
    dawkson2017 Posts: 18 Member
    I do a 16/8 daily, sometimes up to a 20/4, and find it easy. I haven't thought much about doing anything longer. Can you share more about why you do it and what benefit you get?

I am doing 10am to about 4pm eating window most days. Im bmi of 21, so Im happy with that. My drinks of choice are black coffee, black tea and water, so I drink coffee in the morning and tea at night.
    It helps that I dont keep processed food in the house, and I cook from scratch.
    This covid lockdown has helped, too..... no meeting friends for cake and coffee or a chicken parmigana and beer!
    Remember: Nothing tastes as good as being thin feels!
    Persist and Resist
  • nicolejo143
    nicolejo143 Posts: 214 Member
    Is it ok to start IF and keto at the same time? Or is better to start keto then start integrating IF into the mix?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Is it ok to start IF and keto at the same time? Or is better to start keto then start integrating IF into the mix?

Its fine. Just make sure you get enough calories, particularly from protein.
  • sarahkatzenelson452
    sarahkatzenelson452 Posts: 37 Member
    I am trying to get into 16-8, but find it very difficult. I have for two weeks been having bullet coffee in the morning, which for me takes me out of IF . I am trying for low carb, as I am pre- diabetic. What do people think of bullet coffee? I am still using regular butter-11 to 16 grams of it, since I havent been able to find gii...
  • camtosh
    camtosh Posts: 898 Member
    I started using the Simple app for fasting, it has a few more bells and whistles, reminders to drink water, etc. I can easily do 22 hours with coffee and water, tea, etc. But once I start eating... hard to stop! ;)
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,948 Member
    I am trying to get into 16-8, but find it very difficult. I have for two weeks been having bullet coffee in the morning, which for me takes me out of IF . I am trying for low carb, as I am pre- diabetic. What do people think of bullet coffee? I am still using regular butter-11 to 16 grams of it, since I havent been able to find gii...

To me it just ended up being a waste of calories. I started out with it, but quickly noticed no benefit to me. My stomach wasn't happy with that much fat in the morning. And once I got used to just coffee, that worked fine. I saw no personal benefit to the Kevlar Coffee (my name for it since it wasn't the name brand stuff :smirk: ) I much prefer having those calories to eat during my eating window.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    baconslave wrote: »

To me it just ended up being a waste of calories. I started out with it, but quickly noticed no benefit to me. My stomach wasn't happy with that much fat in the morning. And once I got used to just coffee, that worked fine. I saw no personal benefit to the Kevlar Coffee (my name for it since it wasn't the name brand stuff :smirk: ) I much prefer having those calories to eat during my eating window.

It should also be noted that you aren't fasting if you are drinking bullet proof coffee.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,948 Member
    psuLemon wrote: »
    baconslave wrote: »

It should also be noted that you aren't fasting if you are drinking bullet proof coffee.
    Right. Forgot that part. Thanks. :smile:
    I should always be more careful if I'm responding before I've finished my first cup of coffee. :smirk:
  • sarahkatzenelson452
    sarahkatzenelson452 Posts: 37 Member
    I agree I am not fasting!! I like the taste and I find I am both concentrated and relaxed and able to stay within my daily caloric "budget". My BMI is around 25 but I have sig. visceral fat, so being able to lose the 0.4 kilo a week is important.
  • Cedarwren
    Cedarwren Posts: 73 Member
    If you do 16/8 IF, how many carbs/calories do you get in during the limited eating time?
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    Cedarwren wrote: »
    If you do 16/8 IF, how many carbs/calories do you get in during the limited eating time?

Same number as before - nothing changes in terms of what you eat, just eat it in a smaller window of time.
  • Vladaar
    Vladaar Posts: 147 Member
    I do IF everyday drinking black coffee instead of breakfast but last few extended water fasts I had no luck gained what lost with day or 2 after ending.

Don't want to deprive myself on extended if no lasting results. Might try another in future but not excited too. My longest was 7 days extended fast.
  • walker1world
    walker1world Posts: 259 Member

For me once I sm Keto adapted, 2 weeks of blood ketones above .5, fasting becomes super easy. Its like your body is already using fat for fuel, so when your not eating it switches to your internal fat with very little switch.
  • walker1world
    walker1world Posts: 259 Member
    I am OMAD keto, for 6 weeks now, I through in a 48 hour fast from time to time to shock the system my goal is a 72 hr fast in the month of July.

Today i started taking B complex with B12 and CoQ10. To get me ready for that 72 hr fast.
  • Buttermello
    Buttermello Posts: 127 Member
    I'm 20:4 most days and toss in the occasional 36h fast too