This July I Will...

Options

Replies

• MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 11,052 Member
    Options
    Fantastic @nebslp !! Love your attitude!! Glad you spent time with those you love. We need a bit of a recharge through this pandemic. Great job and keep up the good work.

I am feeling excited about this week. I have been able to maintain my good eating habits and my mental health on point. Even saw some weight loss. Today I will get on my new elliptical. My emotions are getting better and are stable as I continue to eat better too.

@prgirl39mfp I am so happy for you! Awesome news & YAY for new elliptical- enjoy!!

💞
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    Not much time left in July, but I'm jumping in right here rather than waiting until August. :)

Feels good to be here with you all. I lost my job on June 24th, and I've been in a dark place since. I need to pull out of this depression and get a handle on anxiety. I think focusing on healthy goals will help me do that. I'm currently 60 years old and did the same job for 30 years. I don't even know what other kinds of jobs I can apply for at this point in my life with the physical limitations I now have. So, time to get focused and figure out this next chapter.

I recently joined the Phit and Phat group, and I have worksheets to fill out daily called the 24H Daily Plan and another one called the 24H Plan Assessment. On the first one, I need to write down any and all foods I think I will eat that day, in no particular order or amount...just what I think I'll be eating realistically. I also write in 3 goals for the day and things I can do to help me stop eating when I'm full. The 24H Plan Assessment has me really look at and assess how I did the day before on the 24H Plan I set for myself and why I was successful or why I was not.

So, I'd like to set myself two goals for the remainder of July:

In July, I will:
    1. Complete 24H Plan and 24H Plan Assessment every day.
    2. 15 minutes of intentional activity every single day. If I do more, awesome! But at least move for 15 minutes doing something.

When: Daily at 7:30 AM, while sipping coffee at my kitchen table.

Trigger: Pouring my first cup of coffee. I will sit at table with binder to drink it.

Reward: I will be rewarded every morning as I fill out the 24H Plan Assessment and see I was successful! I will tell myself "Nice!" with a small fist bump in the air.

What will end of July look like? For #1, I will have a much better understanding of my eating habits and I will be better in turn with my hunger scale/cues. I will have some insight as to what trips me up by looking at patterns. For Goal #2, I will have made activity a habit and will be able to then work on expanding the amount of time. I should see that I have more stamina, strength and less depression & anxiety.

@PackerFanGB
    Welcome back🎈

I’m very sorry to hear Re: your job. I resonate with your feelings. When you are ready, you will create an even more wondrous life for yourself!

I’ve listened to a few of the Phit-n-Phat Podcasts (as well as Half Size Me ones), and I find her to be very wise. The worksheets sound like the perfect first step along with your exercise habit!

I’m really glad you are back!

Perhaps, just a suggestion, offer yourself an additional reward to your fist numb, given you’re beginning & you are still adjusting to your job loss. A new lipstick, a bouquet of fresh flowers, whatever makes your heart sing a little :)

Best,
    Maddie ❤️
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    Scale had been very slightly going up (I’m in maintenance) & I’m pleased to say I got it back down. We’ll see what it is tomorrow, but for today I’m pleased :)

Labs are coming back very good!

I’ve been thinking of another Marie Kondo Refresh ie Declutter Challenge - is anyone interested? Maybe got the month of August?

xx
    Maddie
  • PackerFanInGB
    PackerFanInGB Posts: 3,348 Member
    edited July 2020
    Options
    In July, I will:
    1. Complete 24H Plan and 24H Plan Assessment every day.
    2. 15 minutes of intentional activity every single day. If I do more, awesome! But at least move for 15 minutes doing something.

When: Daily at 7:30 AM, while sipping coffee at my kitchen table.

Trigger: Pouring my first cup of coffee. I will sit at table with binder to drink it.

Reward: I will be rewarded every morning as I fill out the 24H Plan Assessment and see I was successful! I will tell myself "Nice!" with a small fist bump in the air. UPDATED: If I am successful with getting 15 minutes of activity every day through the end of July, I will reward myself by going to the book store and picking out a new book! (Thanks to Maddie for the idea!!! @MadisonMolly2017 )

What will end of July look like? For #1, I will have a much better understanding of my eating habits and I will be better in turn with my hunger scale/cues. I will have some insight as to what trips me up by looking at patterns. For Goal #2, I will have made activity a habit and will be able to then work on expanding the amount of time. I should see that I have more stamina, strength and less depression & anxiety. Plus, I will have a new book!

7/19: :smile:
  • PackerFanInGB
    PackerFanInGB Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options

@PackerFanGB
    Welcome back🎈

I’m very sorry to hear Re: your job. I resonate with your feelings. When you are ready, you will create an even more wondrous life for yourself!

I’ve listened to a few of the Phit-n-Phat Podcasts (as well as Half Size Me ones), and I find her to be very wise. The worksheets sound like the perfect first step along with your exercise habit!

Perhaps, just a suggestion, offer yourself an additional reward to your fist numb, given you’re beginning & you are still adjusting to your job loss. A new lipstick, a bouquet of fresh flowers, whatever makes your heart sing a little :)

Best,
    Maddie ❤️

Hi Maddie!

I listen to the Half Size Me podcasts also! I was a member of HSM but I found I didn't really participate like I should. But I love listening to her! Corrine is more crass but her "real talk" hits home with me and really makes me think about things in a way I wouldn't normally...excuses for instance.

Thanks for the suggestion of an additional reward! I thought and thought about what that could be... I don't want to spend a lot of money on anything right now, but I do think a nice reward of something I don't normally do for myself is a good idea given the way things have been. SO, after much thought, I decided that if I get my activity in every day for the rest of July, I will go to a book store and buy myself a new book! I love books and don't purchase them anymore. I had so many of them at one time and had to get rid of them when we downsized and moved. I miss them, and I am going to treat myself. Not only do I miss books, but I miss the feeling I have when I'm in a book store...the smell of books, the excitement I feel seeing them all around me, carefully deciding which one I'm going to take home with me. That probably sounds really corny, but I really love it.

So, thank you for welcoming me back, and thank you for the suggestion. I really took your words to heart. :heart:

Also, CONGRATULATIONS for getting back to maintenance! That is awesome! :flowerforyou:

Peace and Joy!
    Tracie
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options

@PackerFanGB
    Welcome back🎈

Best,
    Maddie ❤️

Hi Maddie!

I listen to the Half Size Me podcasts also! I was a member of HSM but I found I didn't really participate like I should. But I love listening to her! Corrine is more crass but her "real talk" hits home with me and really makes me think about things in a way I wouldn't normally...excuses for instance.

Thanks for the suggestion of an additional reward! I thought and thought about what that could be... I don't want to spend a lot of money on anything right now, but I do think a nice reward of something I don't normally do for myself is a good idea given the way things have been. SO, after much thought, I decided that if I get my activity in every day for the rest of July, I will go to a book store and buy myself a new book! I love books and don't purchase them anymore. I had so many of them at one time and had to get rid of them when we downsized and moved. I miss them, and I am going to treat myself. Not only do I miss books, but I miss the feeling I have when I'm in a book store...the smell of books, the excitement I feel seeing them all around me, carefully deciding which one I'm going to take home with me. That probably sounds really corny, but I really love it.

So, thank you for welcoming me back, and thank you for the suggestion. I really took your words to heart. :heart:

Also, CONGRATULATIONS for getting back to maintenance! That is awesome! :flowerforyou:

Peace and Joy!
    Tracie

Oh Tracie aka @PackerFanInGB !!
    You are SO welcome ABD I don’t think it’s corny at all!! Bookstores are awesome!

I think that two part reward will really help you shift your habits. I tnrarely use rewards, but I have found Them useful when beginning g a new habit❣️
  • nebslp
    nebslp Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    @PackerFanInGB I'm sorry you lost your job in June. That would be a hard adjustment when you're not planning on it. The Plan and Assessment sound great! Focusing in on what we want to do and then adding the second part and making needed adjustments will get us to where we want to go. I have gotten too general with my daily plan and don't take it seriously as I once did. I think it's the assessment piece that's missing for me. Bookstores are SO fun!!! They take us wherever we want to go, so planning a visit for accomplishing your goals is a great reward. Fabric stores do the same for me. It's like being totally immersed in another world of dreams and I see visions of what could be made until I'm shaken back to the real world. Fun!!
  • nebslp
    Options
    @MadisonMolly2017 Congrats on holding on to maintenance and for the good lab numbers. That's not an easy task!
    I am SO ready for a declutterfest! I have been reducing my digital clutter...deleted about 100 or more emails today because I'm really behind on that. Also am going through my Pinterest pins and got rid of a few of those. Lots more can go. So many good/bad recipes that I will never make are on their way out. I decided I'm a collector of pins, but since I don't cook or bake much, they're just taking up space. I'm also up for a physical declutter or general organization challenge.
  • prgirl39mfp
    prgirl39mfp Posts: 3,154 Member
    Options
    @PackerFanInGB sorry about your job. That’s sad. Glad you are here and have set some goals. I am confident you will reach them and I love the book reward. I Love books and that is a great motivator!!

Congrats @MadisonMolly2017 on maintenance and lab results. I had the same results on my
    Labs and it feels awesome!! Keep up the good work!! De clutter fest sounds like a plan!! Count me in!! Like @nebslp mentioned, digital de clutter is a great idea.

I am doing good so far. My mental health has had ups and down. All this pandemic has me worried, mad, anxious. So I have made it a point of not watching the news, having positive FB or Instagram pages on my feed and reaching out to friends when necessary. A day at a time. Some days I don’t want to do anything but I do it, I eat right, exercise, practice mindfulness, so I can keep going and getting better.
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    nebslp wrote: »
    @PackerFanInGB I'm sorry you lost your job in June. That would be a hard adjustment when you're not planning on it. The Plan and Assessment sound great! Focusing in on what we want to do and then adding the second part and making needed adjustments will get us to where we want to go. I have gotten too general with my daily plan and don't take it seriously as I once did. I think it's the assessment piece that's missing for me. Bookstores are SO fun!!! They take us wherever we want to go, so planning a visit for accomplishing your goals is a great reward. Fabric stores do the same for me. It's like being totally immersed in another world of dreams and I see visions of what could be made until I'm shaken back to the real world. Fun!!

@nebslp
    I’m the same — bookstores, fabric/craft/art stores, and stationery stores BLISS
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    @nebslp & @prgirl39mfp
    Great re: Declutterfest
    Thanks!

I figure we could each set our own goals etc and/or we could post how many minutes we do & total for the month of August & then combine ALL of the participants monthly minutes for a Grand Total!!

I have a few spots I want to “refresh” after Decluttering 2-3 years ago!
  • nebslp
    Options
    My daughter gave me a punching bag for my birthday a month ago which my husband hung up immediately and I got gloves over a week ago. FINALLY looked up how to box yesterday and went down this morning to try out my new moves (LOL)! I think I will love it. I was afraid it would hurt my shoulders but I think it will be fine. Then I moved on to the rebounder and then to my bike. I didn't stay long but my heart rate was up and I felt like I had accomplished something positive. I have an old Weider Pro machine with adjustable weights that I used to use a lot but it's been a clothes hanger for awile. Time to dust it off.
  • nebslp
    Options
    I started the 10 week 5K walking program last night. I was supposed to walk 30 min but i ended up going farther than planned so it was about 50 minutes with several photo breaks and some tree gazing looking for birds. Today I was supposed to do a structured 30 minute HIIT walk. Tomorrow is a rest day. But it’s 9:00 PM and the feel-like temp is 93 with 79% humidity. I went out but the air was just too heavy to breathe. So I’m switching today and tomorrow. Why do I feel like I’m cheating!?!
  • nebslp
    Options
    Answer to previous question: so many times I’ve lied to myself, said I’ll do something tomorrow, then didn’t follow through. I’m tired of doing that. Last night I knew if today was like yesterday I wouldn’t be going out, and it is. So I’m holding off on the walking program until there are more days predicted that don’t have feels-like temp of 98 with 74% humidity (today’s numbers) than that do. It’s not looking good for at least a week. It’s July so to be expected, but 😩. I did my boxing/rebounder/bike combo this morning again and that was a great way to start my day. Have a good one, everybody😊
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone, it's been a long time since I've posted. I wish I could say that will change and I'll once again be a regular contributor, but that's not the case. With my parents living in a nursing home and with my Dad's stroke, they both need my help almost daily. Add to it a full time job and 4 other volunteer commitments and well...I just feel tapped out.

If one of our long term members would like to become the new group co-leader, pm me please. I mention "long term members" because I think it's good to have familiarity with this group, its history, and other members before becoming the co-leader. If no one feels they can make the commitment, I can still post the new monthly challenge every month. This group WILL continue on! And I will chime in when I can. I just need to let go of feeling that I'm deficient and dropping the ball if I can't participate regularly. Life changes and we need to accommodate those changes.

I am thrilled to see all the regular posts and that we have new members! I want this group to be sustainable and it clearly is! Yay!

Warmly,

Denise

• nebslp
    Options
    Hi! It sure is quiet out there! I have to laugh though. The silence after being asked if one of us it willing to take on a new project reminds me of my old school and work days. When asked to volunteer, everyone seemed to shrink in their chairs and avoid eye contact. LOL!!! I'm sure that's not the reason others haven't replied, but that's kind of what I was doing :D

Denise, it is totally understandable that your plate is full and you need to focus on your immediate needs, especially the care of your parents and your employment responsibilities. I know when my mother was in a care center there were so many things to check on to make sure she was getting the best care possible. It was stressful! I had 3 sisters to share the responsibility with so we could support each other. I hope you have a support system to help you, too.

I want to thank you for creating this wonderful supportive sharing place and hope the group will continue. People come and go, but they all have touched me in some way over the years. Now for the hard part. I'm sorry, but I will have to decline your request to take the wheel at this time. I have been working on starting an Etsy shop and am planning (fingers crossed) to get things rolling this fall. There is just so much preparation to be done and I have so many other family projects to work on and I really want to make this business venture happen this time. Your input is very important, but if all you can manage right now is to start the month out, that is enough for me. Please don't feel you're dropping the ball by not contributing more often. There is a limit to how many balls can be managed at one time, and that's perfectly OK. You are very much appreciated. <3
  • SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,858 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone, it's been a long time since I've posted. I wish I could say that will change and I'll once again be a regular contributor, but that's not the case. With my parents living in a nursing home and with my Dad's stroke, they both need my help almost daily. Add to it a full time job and 4 other volunteer commitments and well...I just feel tapped out.

If one of our long term members would like to become the new group co-leader, pm me please. I mention "long term members" because I think it's good to have familiarity with this group, its history, and other members before becoming the co-leader. If no one feels they can make the commitment, I can still post the new monthly challenge every month. This group WILL continue on! And I will chime in when I can. I just need to let go of feeling that I'm deficient and dropping the ball if I can't participate regularly. Life changes and we need to accommodate those changes.

I am thrilled to see all the regular posts and that we have new members! I want this group to be sustainable and it clearly is! Yay!

Warmly,

Denise

Hi Denise. New to this group but just wanted to give you a huge virtual hug. Having lived thru losing my parents and taking care of them while they faltered for 4 years (with help from my brother!) I totally understand the stress you are under. For me running has always helped me to cope (ok along with xanax shhhhh) but feel free to reach out and cry on our virtual shoulders if you need to.
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    @themedalist
    I wish I could take in co-lead, but I’m not here consistently enough at this point.

Please know that we miss you, but totally understand - and are deeply appreciative of all you have done for us.

Having said that... OK folks what are some of the things you thinking of doing for your August “I will”?? Let’s share to inspire each other!

My possibilities:
    Sleep habit

Something with macros:micros

Minimum of 15 mins of:
    Art
    Reading
    Mindfulness
    Or
    Revisit of spaces i Marie Kondo’d 3-5 years ago for a quick refresh.

Planks

Upper body/arms exercises

What are your possibilities?!!
  • SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,858 Member
    Options
    Hi @MadisonMolly2017 we are getting close to August! LOL. I am still deciding but there are a few coming to the forefront now as I look back at July. Very much looking forward to seeing everyone's choices as well.
  • nebslp
    Options
    It's time for me to reflect on July goals, what worked, what didn't, and how I want to go forward.

Goal 1: drinking 12 oz of water before noon. I learned that if instead of getting up, making my coffee and ice water at the same time and expecting myself to drink the water instead of coffee wasn't working. I did it, but it wasn't turning into an automatic habit. So recently while the coffee is brewing, I drink a glass of tap water so I've met goal #1 before I even start drinking coffee. Success!
    #2 goal: get 1100 steps before noon. It was a good and important goal and I was successful at doing that, but not always. I have a slow pace to getting going in the mornings so having the steps goal was a (almost) surefire way of getting me up and moving even if it was at 11:50! #3 goal: pick up the bathroom before I leave. Nailed it! I now have a habit of looking around me before leaving. If there's a towel not hung up, or my personal care products aren't back behind closed doors, I take care of it. So simple but it makes a difference in my day.
    #4 take my vitamin. I thought I had a system but it's still hit or miss. Better than before though but have to figure out a solution.
    #5 check the birdbath. I like this goal to get myself outside and I did great until my routine was disrupted by 5 days of grandchildren staying here. It has been a struggle to get outside again because of the awful heat and humidity. The last two evenings have been cooler so I've been going out again and working in my flowerbeds and walking.
    My sewing habit isn't even worth putting down anymore as it's something I do every day and is more of a passion than a habit.
    I failed on meditation.
    Posture work and journaling were pretty hit or miss and those are both important to me.

Lots of goals and I loved it! I like having my chart posted on my bathroom mirror where I'm reminded every day of what I want to achieve. It's been a really good month and I know where I need to go moving forward.

How did you all do this month? And have you learned anything about yourself and what you want or need to do in the future? I hope you are staying safe and well during this crazy, awful pandemic. Health is everything!