Favorite cookbooks?

Options
seilidhe
seilidhe Posts: 1,042 Member
Hi!

I'm new to the LC world and it's a huge change from the way I've been eating for the past 60 years or so. Hahahaha! Because I work most of the day, my darling daughter (bless her heart), has been doing most of the cooking for us. She's been looking at recipes online, but sometimes I get the feeling they aren't quite right. However, she just got a job as well, so I'm probably going to have to start doing my share again. (Boo! It was kind of nice coming home to dinner being ready so we eat at a reasonable hour.) Anyways, for both of us, do any of you have any favorite cookbooks that you would recommend? We both like to try new things and we're both big fans of pastas, rice, breads, and sweets, so we really truly need to find good recipes to replace those things.

Thanks so much!

Replies

• nicolejo143
    nicolejo143 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I would highly recommend https://www.wholesomeyum.com/ I've made a lot of her different dinner and dessert recipes. I've purchased her cookbook as well, but she has so many recipes free on her website. Most of them came out really good. Check it out.
  • seilidhe
    Options
    I would highly recommend https://www.wholesomeyum.com/ I've made a lot of her different dinner and dessert recipes. I've purchased her cookbook as well, but she has so many recipes free on her website. Most of them came out really good. Check it out.

Great! I'll pass this on to my daughter. Between us, we'll figure out what we're doing! Thank you!
  • camtosh
    camtosh Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    I like Dana Carpender's keto books -- her Fat Fast one also helps when you are in a pinch! Be aware that her old books were more low carbish than keto, but the recent ones are good. https://www.amazon.com/Dana-Carpender/e/B00IVX9T5K
  • herblovinmom
    herblovinmom Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I don’t have a bunch of low carb or keto cookbooks but I do have some handy tips for replacing your favorite carb heavy foods 👍😉

Rice, try cauliflower rice, can be found in the frozen section of most grocery stores now so that save time in processing your own cauliflower. If you prefer a less watery rice to add butter or veggies to then after cooking drain the liquid with a dish towel or tea cloth. Sqeeze the water out really well. You can even use it as a mashed potato replacement.

Pasta. Try shiritaki noodles. Found in the natural Whole Foods department or the ethnic department in most grocery stores. They are also called zero noodles. The key here is to rinse rinse rinse rinse rinse and then rinse some more. The solution they sit in can be stinky so keep rinsing. Let the noodles spend time simmering in the sauce to absorb the flavors of what your cooking otherwise they can be bland. They need a flavorful sauce to say the least.
    Breads. 😬 that’s been a difficult one to replace. There is nothing like the texture of baked bread. Lots of people have had good luck making chaffles which is an almond flour cream cheese egg sort of bread made in a waffle iron. I find just eating low carb is good enough for me. I try not to rely on the bread replacements cause they just aren’t the same. Fat head pizza dough is another good one that can be used in lots of bread recipes like pizza dough or breadsticks or flat bread. It’s similar to the Chaffle recipe. Cloud bread can be whipped up pretty easily. Egg whites, cream cheese and yolk.. Again, these things don’t really satisfy my personal appetite for breads I just try to go without most of the time.

Those recipes for the chaffles and cloud bread and fat head dough can all be found with an easy google search. Most low carb eaters have these ingredients on hand, not to hard to throw together in preparation for the week ahead. Hope you find some yummy food you like in your health journey. 🤗
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Megan_smartiepants1970 Posts: 39,419 Member
    Options
    I love Simply Keto...The Keto diet ...Southern Keto ...and Craveable Keto .... (from Amazon ) ... as for recipes found online...I have used Ruled.me......dietdoctor.com.....pinterest.com...ibreatheimhungry.com
  • kmiller2350
    kmiller2350 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    The Complete Ketogenic Diet for Beginners by Amy Ramos, on Amazon. Loved it; it helped me so much during the first month or two adjusting to keto: Educational and simple explanations in the first part of the book, and very easy and helpful 2-week meal plan. Includes a list of ingredients to buy and keep in your pantry.
  • seilidhe
    Options
    camtosh wrote: »
    I like Dana Carpender's keto books -- her Fat Fast one also helps when you are in a pinch! Be aware that her old books were more low carbish than keto, but the recent ones are good. https://www.amazon.com/Dana-Carpender/e/B00IVX9T5K

I think I'm supposed to be more "low carb" than keto-ish anyways, so I'll check this out. Thank you so much!
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I have this one and have found it to be useful - if you have a pressure cooker.

https://thriftbooks.com/w/ketogenic-diet-pressure-cooker7
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Megan_smartiepants1970 Posts: 39,419 Member
    Options
    I just ordered 4 more Keto cookbooks from Amazon.... keto meal prep ....Keto chaffle ..Squeaky clean keto and keto for life :)
  • goodasgoldilox165
    goodasgoldilox165 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I'm in the UK and have found KETO KITCHEN by Monya Kilian really useful. (With other cookbooks I've found that the American ingredients are not always easy to source and measurements differ a bit too)

Nigella's recipes are often pretty low carb (even with cakes sometimes- she does an apple and almond one without wheat flour. I just add a little sweetener in place of sugar.)

Usually though, I just slightly adapt my favourite recipes using ingredients that fit in. These are often preferred to the original. (Few complain when you remove/serve less of the boring stuff.)