5'7 trying to tone that tummy

Options
Hi there!
I live in Texas and have led a very active and sports filled life. I am 26 yrs old, just shy of 5'7, and currently weigh around 134lbs. This is the most I have ever weighed but honestly I don't pay attention to my weight so much as how my clothes fit and how I look to myself. I just got a new job that requires me to sit all day long, which I am not used to, so I try to hit the gym and watch what I eat now more than ever. My muscle memory is great! Upper body is doing really well but whenever I gain any weight it goes directly to my stomach. Any suggestions on some good ab workouts or full body workouts that I can use to help tone up a little better? I love weight lifting but don't see my stomach getting defined so maybe I need to switch things up??
Thanks!
Desiree

Replies

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Hey I have similar stats to you, at least when I am very lean. It all comes down to body composition and muscle base.

My recommendation would be to look into recomp... lose fat and build muscle at the same time.. so you eat at maintenance, get adequate protein (0.8-1g per lb lean body mass or bodyweight), following a lifting program is best for optimal results. In order to "tone" you want to lower your bodyfat. Normally this is done by eating in a deficit and lifting, but with your stats if you still aren't happy with your body composition, it usually isn't fat that is the problem but lack of muscle.
  • Desirayj2018
    Desirayj2018 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I agree with everything you said. It seems like I need to strengthen my core more than anything because really I am just fine with my weight. Just need to replace that fat with muscle. Thanks for your help!
  • amy_m_moran
    amy_m_moran Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hey! I am 5'7" 127 lb and lift weights a lot (at least before recent events). I agree that you should make sure you're eating enough protein. But also, don't try to starve yourself with too much of a deficit, especially since you work out a lot. You want to get to that happy place where you're not too tired or hungry but still losing fat, so maybe just a few hundred calories below maintenance. Doing ab workouts to supplement this could help with the toning, but I think the eating part is most important.

One more thing - make sure you are also sleeping enough and doing what it takes to eliminate stress in your life. Even at a low weight, I will put on extra pounds of fat on my stomach if I am starving, stressed, or tired. So the best thing to do is just take care of yourself and listen to your body, tracking progress through pics (not weight) over time. I hope this helps!!
  • AliciaHollywood
    AliciaHollywood Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem! I’m 5’8 and currently 134 lbs which is considered “normal” but is fat for me. My legs are fine but I look pregnant! The problem is I HATE exercise! In the past, I waited till I lost more weight before doing crunches because I heard you can get muscle over the fat which makes it harder to lose fat. Is it best to start doing crunches while you lose weight or wait till you’re at the goal weight, then work on toning?
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem! I’m 5’8 and currently 134 lbs which is considered “normal” but is fat for me. My legs are fine but I look pregnant! The problem is I HATE exercise! In the past, I waited till I lost more weight before doing crunches because I heard you can get muscle over the fat which makes it harder to lose fat. Is it best to start doing crunches while you lose weight or wait till you’re at the goal weight, then work on toning?

I would start working out now to help preserve the muscle so when you lose your definition will show. What about yoga or YouTube dance exercises? Also I would say there are much better ab/core exercises than crunches which can be hard on your back.... planks, twists, leg lifts, dead bugs etc.

Also at your stats if think you look pregnant, that could be the sign of a health issue. It could be bloating due to food intolerance or a hormonal problem?
  • maria4560h
    maria4560h Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I’m 5’8” and I seem to stay around the same weight. I have a friend that tends to look pregnant all the time. She hates that however it is simply where her body fat tends to want to be. Nothing more. She is nearly 100lbs overweight though. I’m overweight but not obese however by Navy standards I’m average. It truly does depend on what method you use for fat percentage to find out where you are. I know I need to lose some fat but not a ton. My belly butt and upper thighs covers it all. Looking at my arms neck or legs in shorts you would think I have nothing to lose. I look a healthy weight overall even though I’m not necessarily. It’s offending how my family is proud of me for being overweight. I was one of only a handful of the family that was a healthy weight. I was the only one underweight for years but that vanished when I did serious bodybuilding. Now I fit in with the family that raised me. My biological family is not 98% obese. That don’t mean all are underweight either. This is America.