Feeling defeated.

Options
Sagetheplace
Sagetheplace Posts: 74 Member
Hi everyone. I'm hoping this is a safe place to post as I posted earlier in a forum and had to have it removed because there were a lot of mean spirited people who have me feeling even more discouraged. So I am 293lbs and only 5'3 I have over 160lbs to lose. I have been here before over 9 years ago. I managed to lose over 90lbs before becoming pregnant with a surprise baby. Sometime after baby was born with health problems I became depressed and slowly started spiraling down. Here I am 9 years later and back where I started.

So I decided to get back to it and bought a new Fitbit and started working out and logging food again. I was so sedentary I was probaly less then sedadary spending way to much time sitting, even getting up and vacuuming or doing dishes or walking short distances would get me sweating. For the last 2 weeks I have started working out again and going back to workouts I loved when I was fit such as turbofire and other high intensity workouts. I try to do a workout in the morning and then one later in the day plus after dinner swim or play basketball with the kids each day. My Fitbit syncs to myfitnesspal and I dont log exercise I just let Fitbit do it. I aim to eat about 1600 cal and for the most part do not eat exercise calories back. I log and weigh my food other then prepackaged foods. I know I need to start eating cleaner and less prepackaged foods and I am changing my habits for instance I was having an ice cap a day not every other day i used to only drink diet soda and now maybe 1 every other day and over 2400ml of water a day.

My problem is I am doing so much more then I did starting out last time and in 14 days my scale hasn't budged....last time 9 years ago I had lost 10 in my first week. I am not looking for big scale numbers but I am confused why nothing is happening. Has anyone else had experience with anything like this.

Replies

• puboochu
    puboochu Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    It could be a variety of things, it could be gaining muscle and losing fat, check your sodium intake, monthly hormonal fluctuations, too many carbs, not enough protein...it could be a little of everything. Sometimes the scale doesn’t show the changes in your body. Have you measured? Do your clothes fit differently? Feel free to add me if you want more support. Don’t be discouraged, keep at it and the scale will catch up. Making small changes for the better every day will add up to big changes in your future.
  • Sagetheplace
    Options
    puboochu wrote: »
    It could be a variety of things, it could be gaining muscle and losing fat, check your sodium intake, monthly hormonal fluctuations, too many carbs, not enough protein...it could be a little of everything. Sometimes the scale doesn’t show the changes in your body. Have you measured? Do your clothes fit differently? Feel free to add me if you want more support. Don’t be discouraged, keep at it and the scale will catch up. Making small changes for the better every day will add up to big changes in your future.

Thanks for the kind advice. I will have to measure myself because I actually haven't and I dont really wear any clothes where I would notice yet mostly very stretchy clothes that fit me 20 or 30 pounds ago also. I know my processed food has sodium and I am working on adding more fresh options as I go. I am extremely sore everywhere my body is not use to these intense workouts yet so I wouldn't be surprised if I was holding onto water. Now that I have started my journey I want to jump back in to were I was and perhaps I need to work up slowly. I was thinking maybe eating to little calories for my weight and the workouts I am doing but some other people said I am eating to much and with how much I weigh I'm lying to myself about my food intake....but I honestly am not and I'm weighing foods like I used to. So maybe I should cut calories more and leave workouts the same or increase workouts and leave calories where they are or leave calories and decrease workouts to not have such a large deficet... Or give it more time. I dont know the answer but I was feeling accomplished with the amount of things I have changed in my life for the last 2 weeks and how my workouts are going and now I just feel terrible. I have 2 options give up or try and move past it and I guess I am just going to keep going and hoping eventually I feel better. Sorry to ramble and vent I'm just having an emotional day.
  • puboochu
    puboochu Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Don’t give up, you will regret it. There’s nothing wrong with having emotional days, change is hard. Cut your calories to maybe around 1400, try to eat less carbs and more protein. Cleaner foods, obviously that may not work for you right now, but cutting out processed foods and adding in whole foods a little at a time will add up. Don’t let people make you feel like the changes you are making and have made aren’t good enough. They don’t know your situation, and any changes towards a healthier life are good changes! Don’t kill your self with workouts, make changes you will be able to maintain. Most weight loss is done in the kitchen as they say. Try buying low sodium versions of processed foods maybe? And if your eating a lot of salt drink even more water..you can do it, don’t give up on your goals just because it’s taking longer than you wanted!
  • AwesomeSquirrel
    AwesomeSquirrel Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Hang in there! If you are 100% certain that your tracking is as good as can be and you’re meeting your calorie goal regularly then it’s only a matter of time before the scale will reflect. I will say that weighing prepackaged snacks can be beneficial as the pack can often contain a slightly larger serving than stated, and since many snacks are on the higher kcal side those 8g differences can add up over time.

It’s been really warm where I live recently and the heat definitely affects my scale weight so that’s another factor that can contribute.

I also want to tell you that eating clean and unprocessed foods is in no way a requirement for weight loss. True, a lot of people find things like fresh veggies more filling and of course there are nutritional aspects, but limiting your caloric intake regardless of the food item is the key. I’m telling you this to be sure you understand you don’t have to change everything about your eating habits at the same time. Switching things out gradually is great.

Keep on keeping on!
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    At the top of the group there is a thread you should read:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10754129/dont-let-the-bathroom-scale-get-the-better-of-you/p1

However, long story short when you add a lot of new exercise your body retains water to help deal with things like muscle repair and inflammation. This can easily mask fat losses.

It is harder initially to trust the process when this happens but it is a good time to make sure you have all your basics covered when it comes to logging. This would normally include using a food scale to gauge your portions correctly and personally verifying that every food entry you you use against a label or the new USDA site for things like fruits and vegetables that have no labels.

If you can be absolutely sure you are in a deficit then you can be sure you are losing fat weight even when the scale is not going down or when it is going up. This may be an ongoing mental battle though. For me there is always a side that wants to think I am making no progress but I know from experience that I am.

The other way to fight this mental battle is to limit your need for constant scale progress. If you are dependent on the scale moving to keep you going it will put a constant strain on your patience. So then the question is how can you be happy-ish most days while being in a calorie deficit? For me that is being kind to myself, modifying my habits over time not all at once, losing weight at pace that is comfortable (and healthy), and finding my balance between eating nutrient dense foods and fun foods.
  • Sagetheplace
    Options
    puboochu wrote: »
    Don’t give up, you will regret it. There’s nothing wrong with having emotional days, change is hard. Cut your calories to maybe around 1400, try to eat less carbs and more protein. Cleaner foods, obviously that may not work for you right now, but cutting out processed foods and adding in whole foods a little at a time will add up. Don’t let people make you feel like the changes you are making and have made aren’t good enough. They don’t know your situation, and any changes towards a healthier life are good changes! Don’t kill your self with workouts, make changes you will be able to maintain. Most weight loss is done in the kitchen as they say. Try buying low sodium versions of processed foods maybe? And if your eating a lot of salt drink even more water..you can do it, don’t give up on your goals just because it’s taking longer than you wanted!

Thanks for the encouragement. I don't plan on giving up my life is on the line. I think me new plan is to get more active without 2 intense workouts everyday and leave my calorie goal where it is while working on increasing more healthy fresh options for my food and see where that takes me. I think I am also going to measure inches to many see a difference there. Thanks for the support!
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,070 Member
    Options
    14 days is no time at all, definitely not long enough to judge your results.

Presuming you're still pre-menopausal, your cycle can have a tremendous effect on water weight, not to mention you've just overhauled your diet and started working out again.

It's unlikely as mentioned above that you're gaining muscle at a rate that's offsetting your weight loss, but it is quite likely you're retaining fluid on your muscles whilst they adjust to your new routine.

You need a good 4-6 weeks of data to evaluate your results.

Be patient and be kind. Bear in mind you don't have to change everything overnight, tackle a couple of things at a time. Eating cleaner (whatever that means to you, as it's pretty subjective) can be good nutritionally and for feeling fuller, but weight loss is primarily down to how much you're eating not what you're eating, so perhaps focus on that first and gradually improve your nutrition along the way.

PS I am not suggesting a diet full of ready meals by any stretch of the imagination, but I've come to realise recently that the days when I had all the free time in the world to meal prep for the week are gone (and I don't even have kids to run around after) so sometimes convenient options are the difference between me eating a 400 calorie meal I grabbed out of the freezer for lunch and grabbing a 800 calorie sandwich from the deli next door and they can still fit my nutritional requirements
  • Sagetheplace
    Options
    Hang in there! If you are 100% certain that your tracking is as good as can be and you’re meeting your calorie goal regularly then it’s only a matter of time before the scale will reflect. I will say that weighing prepackaged snacks can be beneficial as the pack can often contain a slightly larger serving than stated, and since many snacks are on the higher kcal side those 8g differences can add up over time.

It’s been really warm where I live recently and the heat definitely affects my scale weight so that’s another factor that can contribute.

I also want to tell you that eating clean and unprocessed foods is in no way a requirement for weight loss. True, a lot of people find things like fresh veggies more filling and of course there are nutritional aspects, but limiting your caloric intake regardless of the food item is the key. I’m telling you this to be sure you understand you don’t have to change everything about your eating habits at the same time. Switching things out gradually is great.

Keep on keeping on!

Thanks so much for the support! I do know that I can lose weight eating foods that are not great because that's how I started before and slowly changed my diet and lost perfectly. I do want to eat better for health reasons but I agree switching them out gradually is great because I feel like changing habits over time will make it more sustainable. I will start weighing prepackacked foods too just to be sure although still running a deficet of 2000 calories most days so even going over a little on these foods should not make me.maintain I would think...but who knows I guess. Thanks so much for your kind words and support!
  • Sagetheplace
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10754129/dont-let-the-bathroom-scale-get-the-better-of-you/p1

However, long story short when you add a lot of new exercise your body retains water to help deal with things like muscle repair and inflammation. This can easily mask fat losses.

It is harder initially to trust the process when this happens but it is a good time to make sure you have all your basics covered when it comes to logging. This would normally include using a food scale to gauge your portions correctly and personally verifying that every food entry you you use against a label or the new USDA site for things like fruits and vegetables that have no labels.

If you can be absolutely sure you are in a deficit then you can be sure you are losing fat weight even when the scale is not going down or when it is going up. This may be an ongoing mental battle though. For me there is always a side that wants to think I am making no progress but I know from experience that I am.

The other way to fight this mental battle is to limit your need for constant scale progress. If you are dependent on the scale moving to keep you going it will put a constant strain on your patience. So then the question is how can you be happy-ish most days while being in a calorie deficit? For me that is being kind to myself, modifying my habits over time not all at once, losing weight at pace that is comfortable (and healthy), and finding my balance between eating nutrient dense foods and fun foods.

Yes it sure is a mental game and as someone who struggles with anxiety and depression it can get tough. I keep holding on to the feeling I had last time I was losing and lost over 90lbs...I felt happy I had energy and I wanted to live and do all the things in life. Now not so much but I know I can get back there. The scale is bothering me but not as much as you would expect I know eventually something's gotta give. After reading the post you linked to which was extremely insightful and thinking about things....I think I started too fast. I went from eating who knows how many calories 3000 5000 maybe a day and barely moving off the couch to 1600 calories and 1+ hours of intense exercise with my heartrate hitting max for a large portion of the workouts plus another 1-2 hours of mild exercixe. My body is sore everywhere and super stiff....my muscles are no doubt storing water as is my body. I think moving forward I am going to work on moderation. Eating 1600 calories and measuring even prepackaged foods and focusing less on super intense workouts 6-7 days a week. Mayne more walking with a few intense workouts a week. Does that sound like a good plan or should I keep doing what I am doing with my workouts and just weigh even prepackaged foods? Thanks so much for your support and the link!
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,480 Member
    Options
    First, you’re in the right place. Welcome.

Second, as noted, water retention is likely your issue. Lack of results on the heals of new or increased exercise is probably the most common complaint on MFP.

A couple of thoughts- you using a food scale to crunch numbers? Really need it. Exercise is overrated as a weight loss strategy. It is CICO. But I can undo an hour at the gym in 5 min with a fork in my hand.

And as noted, get ready for the long haul. And don’t let the learning curve get you down. This involves a lot of trial and error and its time consuming. The weight loss part is pretty straight forward, but living with it can be extremely complicated. It takes time. Good luck.
  • Sagetheplace
    Options
    14 days is no time at all, definitely not long enough to judge your results.

Presuming you're still pre-menopausal, your cycle can have a tremendous effect on water weight, not to mention you've just overhauled your diet and started working out again.

It's unlikely as mentioned above that you're gaining muscle at a rate that's offsetting your weight loss, but it is quite likely you're retaining fluid on your muscles whilst they adjust to your new routine.

You need a good 4-6 weeks of data to evaluate your results.

Be patient and be kind. Bear in mind you don't have to change everything overnight, tackle a couple of things at a time. Eating cleaner (whatever that means to you, as it's pretty subjective) can be good nutritionally and for feeling fuller, but weight loss is primarily down to how much you're eating not what you're eating, so perhaps focus on that first and gradually improve your nutrition along the way.

PS I am not suggesting a diet full of ready meals by any stretch of the imagination, but I've come to realise recently that the days when I had all the free time in the world to meal prep for the week are gone (and I don't even have kids to run around after) so sometimes convenient options are the difference between me eating a 400 calorie meal I grabbed out of the freezer for lunch and grabbing a 800 calorie sandwich from the deli next door and they can still fit my nutritional requirements

Thanks so much for your support. I will keep logging and figure out a workout routine that includes some down time some days and some lower impact activities. Yes I am premenapasul and I am sure it has some effect. I will keep going and see when I am in another 2 weeks. Thanks again!
  • Sagetheplace
    Options
    88olds wrote: »
    First, you’re in the right place. Welcome.

Second, as noted, water retention is likely your issue. Lack of results on the heals of new or increased exercise is probably the most common complaint on MFP.

A couple of thoughts- you using a food scale to crunch numbers? Really need it. Exercise is overrated as a weight loss strategy. It is CICO. But I can undo an hour at the gym in 5 min with a fork in my hand.

And as noted, get ready for the long haul. And don’t let the learning curve get you down. This involves a lot of trial and error and its time consuming. The weight loss part is pretty straight forward, but living with it can be extremely complicated. It takes time. Good luck.

Thanks this group is very supportive and it really means alot. I have been logging food accurately except prepackaged foods I have not been weighing but I will start. I am definitely in it for the long haul and am not looking for a quick fix more a lifestyle change that's sustainable over time. Thanks again for the advice and encouragement it really means alot!
  • eliezalot
    eliezalot Posts: 620 Member
    edited August 2020
    Options
    Agree with the great advice above:

1. Too early to tell for sure - 4-6 weeks will tell you whether you are losing weight. There are usually only 2 weeks out of the month when I see the scale drop, but that doesn't mean that I'm not losing fat that whole time. You might want to consider a weight trending app, that shows your trend over time and helps hide the day to day fluctuations that we all have. As long as the trend is going down, you are losing weight.
    2. Definitely sounds like water weight retention - every time I increase my exercise, I retain water for a week or two.
    3. Weigh and measure! It is easy to both over and underestimate foods.

Finally, don't push yourself too hard too fast - the process of losing weight should be as easy as possible (not that it isn't difficult, just that it shouldn't feel like a daily struggle all the time). In previous weight loss attempts, I tried to too much at once - overhaul diet, calorie deficit, lots of intense workouts, because that's what thin and healthy people do, right? Hell, that was what I did when I was healthier and smaller! But it was just too much change for me to keep up with. I'd eventually stop, feel like a failure (hello anxiety and depression!), and gain it back because "well I can't do it so what is the point".

This time, I started slowly. I found my maintenance calories, and my first goal was to eat at or under them for a few weeks (I love food, and knew that going straight into a deficit would leave me hungry). After I got comfortable with this, I dropped down to about a 250 calorie deficit (about half a pound a week). After another few weeks, I got more comfortable eating at that level, and finally dropped to a 500 calorie deficit which I have kept up for the last year. In the beginning, I didn't change the content of my food, or add any new exercise. Over the course of the year, I had more energy and started walking more. I started to eat fruits and veggies more frequently (but still with room for plenty of ice cream and pizza). I lost a good 30 lbs before I started adding in more strenuous exercise this spring. The only reason this worked for me was that all the changes were gradual.

I also have anxiety and depression, and have a tendency to get super overwhelmed when I make lots of changes at once, which leads to me reverting back to old habits and then feeling guilty for not being successful and like a failure. One of the main tools for success for me this time around has been getting my mental health in order (which I am hyper aware can change quickly). For me, it is a combination of therapy (CBT) and medication to keep myself feeling good and functioning. And I manage the rest as best I can through techniques that work for me (getting enough sleep, no caffeine, regular outdoor exercise). Incidentally, those things are all good for weight loss too (well, except the no caffeine. I miss it so much).

You can totally do this. My main advice is this:
    • Is your anxiety and depression under control? Like, really under control? If not, reach out to your doctor or therapist. You deserve to feel good! And it makes other things feel so much easier. (I didn't realize how bad my depression had got until I went back on medication - like...oh...suddenly I feel like myself again!)
    • Stick with a moderate calorie deficit. Don't worry too much about the content of your food - eat what you like, and what fills you up. I love diet soda and it is a regular part of my diet. Over time, I've added in more plain water, because I've started craving it. But don't feel like you need to overhaul everything at once.
    • Do exercise that feels good for your body and your mind. Start slow. Beginners yoga - I've developed quite a bit of strength this way, and it helps with my racing thoughts. Biking - I love biking, it is low impact, I do it outdoors (which helps my depression), and getting cardio is amazing for my anxiety. You'll lose weight with the calorie deficit alone - exercise can let you eat a little more, but mostly is good for health.
    • Have back-up plans! I know my mental health is always somewhat precarious, and I've had to learn to allow myself to not do perfectly.
      • Good days - Exercise, Calorie deficit, good food choices,
      • Medium days - too tired to exercise - go for a chill walk instead. No deficit, just eat at maintenance and log. Eat what tastes good and keeps me full. Do an activity that I know helps me feel better (meditation, a walk, gardening)
      • Bad days - to tired/anxious to get out of bed - that's okay and I don't beat myself up! Estimate calories and log. Try to eat something that I want, and also something that I need (oreos and some clementines). Maybe do an in-bed yoga or meditation, just to tune into my body.

All that is to say that you can definitely do this, everyone has their own approach - you need to find what makes it easiest for you! Patience and not perfection will win in the end.
  • Sagetheplace
    Options
    eliezalot wrote: »
    Agree with the great advice above:

1. Too early to tell for sure - 4-6 weeks will tell you whether you are losing weight. There are usually only 2 weeks out of the month when I see the scale drop, but that doesn't mean that I'm not losing fat that whole time. You might want to consider a weight trending app, that shows your trend over time and helps hide the day to day fluctuations that we all have. As long as the trend is going down, you are losing weight.
    2. Definitely sounds like water weight retention - every time I increase my exercise, I retain water for a week or two.
    3. Weigh and measure! It is easy to both over and underestimate foods.

Finally, don't push yourself too hard too fast - the process of losing weight should be as easy as possible (not that it isn't difficult, just that it shouldn't feel like a daily struggle all the time). In previous weight loss attempts, I tried to too much at once - overhaul diet, calorie deficit, lots of intense workouts, because that's what thin and healthy people do, right? Hell, that was what I did when I was healthier and smaller! But it was just too much change for me to keep up with. I'd eventually stop, feel like a failure (hello anxiety and depression!), and gain it back because "well I can't do it so what is the point".

This time, I started slowly. I found my maintenance calories, and my first goal was to eat at or under them for a few weeks (I love food, and knew that going straight into a deficit would leave me hungry). After I got comfortable with this, I dropped down to about a 250 calorie deficit (about half a pound a week). After another few weeks, I got more comfortable eating at that level, and finally dropped to a 500 calorie deficit which I have kept up for the last year. In the beginning, I didn't change the content of my food, or add any new exercise. Over the course of the year, I had more energy and started walking more. I started to eat fruits and veggies more frequently (but still with room for plenty of ice cream and pizza). I lost a good 30 lbs before I started adding in more strenuous exercise this spring. The only reason this worked for me was that all the changes were gradual.

I also have anxiety and depression, and have a tendency to get super overwhelmed when I make lots of changes at once, which leads to me reverting back to old habits and then feeling guilty for not being successful and like a failure. One of the main tools for success for me this time around has been getting my mental health in order (which I am hyper aware can change quickly). For me, it is a combination of therapy (CBT) and medication to keep myself feeling good and functioning. And I manage the rest as best I can through techniques that work for me (getting enough sleep, no caffeine, regular outdoor exercise). Incidentally, those things are all good for weight loss too (well, except the no caffeine. I miss it so much).

You can totally do this. My main advice is this:
    • Is your anxiety and depression under control? Like, really under control? If not, reach out to your doctor or therapist. You deserve to feel good! And it makes other things feel so much easier. (I didn't realize how bad my depression had got until I went back on medication - like...oh...suddenly I feel like myself again!)
    • Stick with a moderate calorie deficit. Don't worry too much about the content of your food - eat what you like, and what fills you up. I love diet soda and it is a regular part of my diet. Over time, I've added in more plain water, because I've started craving it. But don't feel like you need to overhaul everything at once.
    • Do exercise that feels good for your body and your mind. Start slow. Beginners yoga - I've developed quite a bit of strength this way, and it helps with my racing thoughts. Biking - I love biking, it is low impact, I do it outdoors (which helps my depression), and getting cardio is amazing for my anxiety. You'll lose weight with the calorie deficit alone - exercise can let you eat a little more, but mostly is good for health.
    • Have back-up plans! I know my mental health is always somewhat precarious, and I've had to learn to allow myself to not do perfectly.
      • Good days - Exercise, Calorie deficit, good food choices,
      • Medium days - too tired to exercise - go for a chill walk instead. No deficit, just eat at maintenance and log. Eat what tastes good and keeps me full. Do an activity that I know helps me feel better (meditation, a walk, gardening)
      • Bad days - to tired/anxious to get out of bed - that's okay and I don't beat myself up! Estimate calories and log. Try to eat something that I want, and also something that I need (oreos and some clementines). Maybe do an in-bed yoga or meditation, just to tune into my body.

All that is to say that you can definitely do this, everyone has their own approach - you need to find what makes it easiest for you! Patience and not perfection will win in the end.

This is all such great kind advice. I feel like my mental health is in check right now. I also know if can change quickly but I have a great support system and great tips and tricks I use. I think your plan sounds so relaxed and exactly what I needed to hear. I have no doubt I can do this if I stick with a realistic plan like what you presented. Thank you so much!!!
  • eliezalot
    eliezalot Posts: 620 Member
    Options

This is all such great kind advice. I feel like my mental health is in check right now. I also know if can change quickly but I have a great support system and great tips and tricks I use. I think your plan sounds so relaxed and exactly what I needed to hear. I have no doubt I can do this if I stick with a realistic plan like what you presented. Thank you so much!!!

That's great! It sounds like you're in a good place for this :)
    I actually find a lot of those mental health management tips and tricks have been helpful in the weight loss process, too. It helps to be cognizant of what you're feeling and why.

I am the queen of a relaxed, lazy plan. Some people do really well with time-bound goals, and they are often talked about as a great tool. Personally, they stress me out a ton. For me, without the "oh, I have to lose 6 lbs in August to make my goal" mentality, the whole process became a ton easier. Take your time, learn and adjust as you go, and just make it as easy for yourself as possible. You'll do great!
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options

Yes it sure is a mental game and as someone who struggles with anxiety and depression it can get tough. I keep holding on to the feeling I had last time I was losing and lost over 90lbs...I felt happy I had energy and I wanted to live and do all the things in life. Now not so much but I know I can get back there. The scale is bothering me but not as much as you would expect I know eventually something's gotta give. After reading the post you linked to which was extremely insightful and thinking about things....I think I started too fast. I went from eating who knows how many calories 3000 5000 maybe a day and barely moving off the couch to 1600 calories and 1+ hours of intense exercise with my heartrate hitting max for a large portion of the workouts plus another 1-2 hours of mild exercixe. My body is sore everywhere and super stiff....my muscles are no doubt storing water as is my body. I think moving forward I am going to work on moderation. Eating 1600 calories and measuring even prepackaged foods and focusing less on super intense workouts 6-7 days a week. Mayne more walking with a few intense workouts a week. Does that sound like a good plan or should I keep doing what I am doing with my workouts and just weigh even prepackaged foods? Thanks so much for your support and the link!

You have definitely dived into the deep side of the pool.

I do not like to directly tell people what to do when it comes to their plan. I believe we have to figure it out for ourselves through trial and error.

I can tell you that your plan would be error for me. That does not make it error for you.

It would be error for me because this is the kind of drastic changes I have tried at various times in my past and it was so abnormal for me that I craved being normal again. It was a form of grief. I killed my normal. I was miserable and the the changes like scale dropping and physical appearance improvement were not happening fast enough to console my grief or motivate me to maintain it. It eventually caused me to bail and resurrect the old me.

I did the above countless times failing to learn from my error.

My old normal did need to die but not so abruptly. It needed to be chipped away. I needed to make a change and then allow that to feel normal before changing more.

Does any of that make sense?
  • Sagetheplace
    Options

You have definitely dived into the deep side of the pool.

I do not like to directly tell people what to do when it comes to their plan. I believe we have to figure it out for ourselves through trial and error.

I can tell you that your plan would be error for me. That does not make it error for you.

It would be error for me because this is the kind of drastic changes I have tried at various times in my past and it was so abnormal for me that I craved being normal again. It was a form of grief. I killed my normal. I was miserable and the the changes like scale dropping and physical appearance improvement were not happening fast enough to console my grief or motivate me to maintain it. It eventually caused me to bail and resurrect the old me.

I did the above countless times failing to learn from my error.

My old normal did need to die but not so abruptly. It needed to be chipped away. I needed to make a change and then allow that to feel normal before changing more.

Does any of that make sense?

Yes I sure have. I think the problem is that I tried to start where I was at the end of my journey last time and expected to much too soon. I'm going to work on slowing it down and making the changes gradually instead of all at once and burning out. It's hard because my brain tells me I'm not doing enough unless I'm back where I was. Thos week my main goal is going to be to focus more on making little changes and being proud of those and knowing they are enough for this week. Instead of working out so much I'm going to focus on just getting more active with my kids and not obsessing over getting 2 or 3 intense workouts in. I am also going to weigh all.my food even prepackaged and work on netting at least 1200 calories even if that means eating 2300 instead or 1600 because of an active day. Worse case I see no results and have to re evaluate and even if that happens I am.still making progress by eating better and less and moving more. Thanks so much everyone I am so appreciative of the kindness and support I have found here!