Introductions

Options
RangerRickL
RangerRickL Posts: 8,469 Member
Welcome to the September 2020 Ultimate Accountability Challenge!

Some of you have been with this challenge for months and some are brand new. This is one of the hardest challenges to stay with throughout the entire month.

FOCUS, FOCUS, FOCUS!! Log every BLT (Bite, Lick, Taste). Stay strong and true to yourself....YOU WILL SUCCEED!!

Please feel free to share as much information as you feel comfortable sharing about yourself with the rest of the group. I look forward to getting to know all of you a little better.

GOOD LUCK!

Replies

• MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 11,136 Member
    Options
    hannahm120 wrote: »
    Hello everyone! Since the New Year, I’ve gained back 20lbs after losing 52lbs in year putting me back in the overweight category so I need this challenge to hold myself accountable. I love exercising, especially outdoors (hiking, soccer, kayaking, swimming, walking, snowboarding, snowshoeing, etc.). I also enjoy cooking (and eating haha) all kinds of foods. My biggest challenge will be sticking to my calorie goal throughout the month, particularly on busy week nights or weekends when I think I “deserve it.”

At 5’3” and mostly working at a desk, my calorie goal is 1200 to lose 1lb/week. I eat back some of my exercise calories. My macro breakdown is 40% carbs, 30% fat, and 30% protein. Please feel free to “friend” me for some extra encouragement on your feed. I look forward to working through this with you all!

Welcome @hannahm120 !
    With your love of exercise, I think IAC is going to be fun for you!!

I’m not much of a cook myself, but I’ve often wished I was. Over time, I bet you can devise ways to make your favorite dishes with substitutions & because of your skill as a cook, they will taste even better!!

Have you considered a 2 lb per month rate of loss? I think it helps you retain muscle & gives you more time to ease into maintenance. Just a thought to take or leave!
  • BMcC9
    BMcC9 Posts: 4,438 Member
    Options
    nennie8888 wrote: »
    I'd love to join this group! I'm 5'3 and my starting weight was 230. I've lost 88lbs so far, and am currently 142lbs. My goal weight is 130 (although I might adjust it to 120 or 125 depending on how I feel when I hit 130). My nutrition has been on point, but my exercise has not! I plan on changing that now, and hope that this challenge will motivate me to exercise more often!!

You are like my "more accomplished twin" in that we are both 5'3 and I passed through 142 on my way to my own current maintenance zone (been steady week-to-week since April)

I will love to hear what "intentional activity" options you are going to aim at adding to your lifestyle! Feel free to Friend and then PM me about that if you would like additional cheering (I am not the best at support-via-wall ... but great via group threads and PMs).

The only BEST exercise choice is WHATEVER you are consistently enjoying doing.

One question for you - (and don't specify in type here if you don't wish to ... just consider the point)

I am going to be 62 in October, and my default life-style tendency is more "sedentary to light-active" end of the spectrum. Not a heavy-duty jogger / runner / hiker / gym type myself so I understand overcoming "inertia" and have had to do so myself. (If you think you might want to buddy-up within one of those exercise choices, UAC roster has plenty of them to tap too!)

I happen to know that 124 is dead-centre of Normal BMI range for females of our height. 133 is a comfortable bottom of personal-maintenance range for me.

If your age is towards the mid-age / senior, and you don't have a bird-bone frame ... keep me in mind.

on the other hand, if you are on the young side AND fine-boned ... discovering some enjoyable and sustainable active-element to carry through a long life might let you eventually settle lower than I chose to (with maybe ~130 as the absolute ceiling of your maintenance zone)

But 120 might still prove under-weight in the end.

Better to be functional-fit 130 with healthy body-fat % than skinny-fat 120 with no muscle-tone and higher body-fat %.

• hannahm120
    hannahm120 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Welcome @hannahm120 !
    With your love of exercise, I think IAC is going to be fun for you!!

I’m not much of a cook myself, but I’ve often wished I was. Over time, I bet you can devise ways to make your favorite dishes with substitutions & because of your skill as a cook, they will taste even better!!

Have you considered a 2 lb per month rate of loss? I think it helps you retain muscle & gives you more time to ease into maintenance. Just a thought to take or leave!

Thank you for the words of encouragement and suggetion! I eat mostly home cooked meals, prepared with fresh, whole ingredients. My issue is portion control and a once a week binge on takeout. But, no more excuses! A healthy adult can plan the occasional take out dinner into their lifestyle. 2lbs loss/month maybe realistic for me as my appetite through a tantrum when I reached a healthy weight last time.
  • hannahm120
    hannahm120 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I'd love to join this group! I'm 5'3 and my starting weight was 230. I've lost 88lbs so far, and am currently 142lbs. My goal weight is 130 (although I might adjust it to 120 or 125 depending on how I feel when I hit 130). My nutrition has been on point, but my exercise has not! I plan on changing that now, and hope that this challenge will motivate me to exercise more often!!

We're the same height, have the same goal weights and possible adjustments in mind! Best of luck to you.
  • TimFit2013
    TimFit2013 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I wish you the best, as it seems you have almost hit your goal.
  • TimFit2013
    TimFit2013 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    How do I comment one another person's post?
  • BMcC9
    Options
    TimFit2013 wrote: »
    How do I comment one another person's post?

Hi, @TimFit2013 By putting an @ in front of the MFP-name, it's like "waving at a specific individual

Also, if you look along the bottom edge of each entry, you will see:

Date & time it was posted; Flag ; Quote ; Insightful ; Inspiring ; Like ; Hug ; Disagree

To do what I did, referencing your post just above mine, I clicked on the "Quote" in your comment's bottom line.

Try the same thing on this one, or on a post from someone else farther up the chain.
  • corriepelc
    corriepelc Posts: 2,088 Member
    Options
    Back for Month #21! Looking forward to another great month!
  • heidipatterson100
    heidipatterson100 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone! Since the New Year, I’ve gained back 20lbs after losing 52lbs in year putting me back in the overweight category so I need this challenge to hold myself accountable. I love exercising, especially outdoors (hiking, soccer, kayaking, swimming, walking, snowboarding, snowshoeing, etc.). I also enjoy cooking (and eating haha) all kinds of foods. My biggest challenge will be sticking to my calorie goal throughout the month, particularly on busy week nights or weekends when I think I “deserve it.”

At 5’3” and mostly working at a desk, my calorie goal is 1200 to lose 1lb/week. I eat back some of my exercise calories. My macro breakdown is 40% carbs, 30% fat, and 30% protein. Please feel free to “friend” me for some extra encouragement on your feed. I look forward to working through this with you all!

I am looking for friends too, so I am sending you a request. I could really use some encouragement and accountability as well.
  • BMcC9
    Options
    First timer...

I weighed 289 a little over a year ago. I was hospitalized (ICU) due to blood clots going into my lungs, and in both legs after getting pneumonia. I was told by 3 Doctors that I shouldn’t have survived! It was a wake up scare.

I was told due to my weight, I had to take 2 injections of blood thinners a day into my stomach. But.. If I lost 10 lbs, I could move to the pill form. The shots were horrendous!!! It took a little over 30 days and I lost that 10 lbs and have very slowly kept going.

By trying several programs, (Weight Watchers, Nooms, Lose it), I got down to 246. June, I had Covid-19. I became very inactive and my lung damage due to the clots, also seemed to escalate and my weight has gone up to 256.

Now I am here!!! I do well when I make a project and commit! So here I go..

The 20 min a day is going to be hard. I know I convince myself that I just can’t... but I will..

I am a total “cliche” with a little plus added!
    ===============
    Cut&Paste from the UAC FAQs

3. What counts as exercise?

Nearly all physical activity counts as exercise. That includes walking, cleaning your house, playing tag with the kids, walking your dog, etc. This doesn't mean you should do the bare minimum every day if you're capable of much more. If you want results, you have to challenge yourself, but for the purpose of the Ultimate Accountability Challenge, 20 minutes of any kind of exercise will suffice.
    ====================
    For UAC puposes, ANY kind of Intentional Activity counts. At a level that slightly challenges YOU (and nobody else) And the 20 minutes a day doesn't have to be consecutive if you physically aren't there yet. Break it into 4 5-minute sections spread throughout the day if you have to. A potential personal goal might be to gradually over the month increase capacity to dividing the 20 minutes into only 3 or 2 sections. Or increase the four to 6-7 minutes each which will almost be 30 minutes total across the day ....
  • nennie8888
    nennie8888 Posts: 53 Member
    Options

We're the same height, have the same goal weights and possible adjustments in mind! Best of luck to you.

Thanks so much!!! Best of luck to you as well!!! We can do this!!!