What's on your mind today?

Options

Replies

• SuziQ113
    SuziQ113 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone.

The weekend was a good one and now it's back to reality. Many things to be grateful for this morning.
    • I am grateful to have a had a nice, 3-day weekend.
    • I am grateful this week is only a 4-day workweek.
    • I am grateful for the rain. It helps me maintain the garden.
    • I am grateful for the healthy food I prepared for the workweek.
    • I am grateful for another day on this sweet planet.

I hope everyone has had or has a great day!
  • SuziQ113
    Options
    Greetings one and all.

I really cannot believe it's September and the 9th at that! The time is flying by and before we know it the holiday season will be here. This year celebrations will be different - it's my hope we can get back to basics. For the past 30 years or so I stopped allowing the marketers and big business influence me. I has allowed me to concentrate on what is really important to me - the relationships with my family and friends.

I am grateful for the following.
    • The 8 hours of sleep I had last night. 8-hour nights are a rare occurrence for me. My ideal number of sleep is 6 hours, but every now and then a longer period is needed.
    • Smokey the cat. He is a lot of company and keeps me laughing with his antics.
    • My home. So many are losing their homes to nature or loss of work because of our current situation. I am so very fortunate!

Sending prayers to those in the west who are fleeing, fighting, and suffering with the fires out west. So many people are effected it is heartbreaking.

Hugs to all.
  • SuziQ113
    Options
    Hello everyone.

It has been very quiet here. I miss seeing everyone's updates.

Today I am grateful for the following.
    • It's pre-Friday and the workday is almost half way through. I am looking forward to the weekend.
    • The beautiful sunshine streaming in to my home office.
    • My health. I am so very fortunate in this area. Other than typical not so young issues, my health remains strong.

I hope everyone has a wonderful day.
  • SuziQ113
    Options
    Hello everyone.

So excited it's Friday.

I am grateful for the following.
    • Another sweet day of life.
    • The warm shower this morning. It's bliss. And, to think many do not have enough water to drink and I am able to stand in the shower for as long as I want. A true blessing.
    • Did I mention Friday?! I am really happy the weekend is almost here. It provides time for me to recharge.

I hope everyone has had or is having a great day!
  • heidipatterson100
    Options
    Hi everyone, I am going to visit family next week, and I was wondering if any of you have any tips for staying on your diet during the dieting hardships of a road trip and a few days with family. How do you avoid the in car snack attacks? How do you deal with family members who make it their life mission to stuff you full of food? (They mean well. Lol.) How do avoid stress eating? And, what things do you do to get your exercise in?
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, I am going to visit family next week, and I was wondering if any of you have any tips for staying on your diet during the dieting hardships of a road trip and a few days with family. How do you avoid the in car snack attacks? How do you deal with family members who make it their life mission to stuff you full of food? (They mean well. Lol.) How do avoid stress eating? And, what things do you do to get your exercise in?

Hey, hon!

If we are road tripping I pack a cooler with nutritious snacks; fruits, nuts, cheeses and water. Lots of water.

Upon arrival I log everything I put into my mouth and keep track of my totals throughout the day. I’m funny about getting too close to my limit. I also try to only sample a little of this and that.

While setting boundaries has never been my strong point, I do make it clear that I’m watching what I eat for health reasons. I have a built-in excuse in high blood pressure, so I make sure I’m clear on my lower sodium needs, as well as lower fat requirements, as I know that if I don’t my bloodwork will try and scream, “FATTY LIVER!” I’ve also found that if I preface my statements with, “my doctor recommends” even the Italian side of the family respect that.

As for exercise, if there is a WiFi connection you could pull up YouTube videos for workouts you can do in the space you’re dealing with. Also, go for walks. Can’t go wrong with walking. If there are dogs involved, offer to walk one, because it’s always more fun with a four-legged friend.

Regarding stress eating? I can’t help with that because stress guts my appetite, so maybe someone else can chime in?

Wishing you lots and lots of willpower and a wonderful trip! I know that after the past six months or so, it’s got to be just what the doctor ordered❣️
  • juliemouse83
    Options
    My gratitude list for today:
    • Day two of three in the books. Retirement on Monday, 3:30p EST. (But who’s counting? Oh. Right. MEEEEE! :lol: )
    • Baby Kitten’s eyes are getting ready to open. She is 8 days old, today, so she made it past the second hurdle; first one was the first night, second was the first week.
    • I had to say my goodbyes to a couple of people in Employee Health this afternoon because they are going on vacation next week. While I was all up in my feelings, so were they, and it is nice to know that I am loved. When this COVID crap lets up, I will be dining out with some of my favorite work people.
    • COVID be damned, I got hugs today, and as a hug-deprived hugger? That was simply salve for my soul.

I hope everyone has a wonderful weekend!
  • Dory_42
    Dory_42 Posts: 3,587 Member
    Options

For exercise, are there kids there? Go and play with them. Take them to the park or get out a ball and have fun. Don’t just watch them, get involved. Ask others to go for a walk or a short hike with you. Any of your family do a sport that you have never tried? Ask them to show you some basics. Or look for active things you could go and do together. Maybe try a trampoline park or a climbing gym in the area. Look for ways to play and have fun together.

For travelling, make sure you either pack or know where you can buy healthy options that you enjoy. Plan ahead what you will eat on the drive. Maybe allow yourself a slightly higher calorie budget for this period to take the pressure off. Eating at maintenance level for a few days shouldn’t increase your weight.
  • SuziQ113
    Options
    Hello everyone.

@heidipatterson100 I can only repeat what Julie and Dory mentioned. For road trips I love to bring grapes too. They are the perfect snack and are not messy. :smile: I hope you enjoy the time with your family and the trip as a whole.

I think today is going to be a somewhat lazy day. We have a tropical disturbance moving over SFL so there will be a lot of rain and wind. Perfect day to binge watch some shows. I will be sure to get some exercise in.
    • I am grateful for another day on this planet we call earth.
    • I am grateful for the weekend!
    • I am grateful I have a relatively stress-less life. It has taken many years to get here. The trip and learning experiences were well worth it.
    • I am grateful for all of you and sharing your days with me.

Nameste
  • heidipatterson100
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your advice on how to manage my diet while on a trip. So much good advice!!! I knew you guys would have some good ideas. I made air popped popcorn and grapes to munch on in the car, and decided to pack a couple of diet friendly meals so I will have options while there. I will probably do online workouts since walking is not an option there. Then, I will probably give myself an extra 100 calories to have some wiggle room, and still be under my limit. I am trying to not use any pass days during this trip. we will see how that goes though. Thanks everyone!!!
  • juliemouse83
    Options
    Gratitude list for today:
    1. Got up early to feed Baby Cat, then went back to bed for a few hours.
    2. Baby Cat’s eyes are opening.
    3. Relaxing day, today.
    4. Mom turns 81 tomorrow! 🥰

Hope everyone is having a great weekend!
  • Chinkiri
    Chinkiri Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    After a busy few weeks, well, relatively, examining in Marseille, Nice and Toulouse, fully masked, frustrating, back to basics. Shall I roast my Sunday chicken with some kind of stuffing? Can I save enough to make chicken wraps, chicken salad or chicken sandwiches tomorrow and can I be bothered to make chicken soup? Trying to stick to 1200 calories a day and minimise on cooking. Temperatures here in Montpellier are soaring to above 30° C again this week and my kitchen is south facing, too hot to cook! Suggestions? Recipes for wraps (yes, I will wrap in lettuce), salad (love my dressing!) or filling, mealtime chicken soup, please.
  • Chinkiri
    Options
    Join the gratitude list! It's helped me through some difficult times. Not easy at the moment, but reminding myself of all my blessings helps!
    Grateful for sunrise! I wake up really early most mornings and sunrise, with often beautiful light, is a daily miracle. It's cloudy today, but the colours are still a beautiful silver grey.
    I had a busy few weeks, examining in various places, doing a lot of travel, staying in hotels, something I am in itself grateful to, the opportunity to work after all these months of lockdown. Grateful to be home today, enjoying a relaxed Sunday! I feel so good this morning I can even invite my partner, who has Alzheimer's, for dinner.
  • Dory_42
    Options
    @Chinkiri I agree with your comments about sunrise, even if it’s cloudy. We went to the beach for sunset yesterday and even though it appeared as if the sun set early because of a thick cloud bank, the colours were amazing and worth the effort to climb the big dune in the wind!
    mkb3jh76wcij.jpeg
  • Dory_42
    Options
    Hmm, how do you edit a post on the Apple app? Want to change it so there is a landscape shot instead (even though photos don’t do it justice)
    rm53rgqo7o2y.jpeg

• Chinkiri
    Options
    @Dory_42 Wow!
  • SuziQ113
    Options
    Hello everyone.

I am a little late today. I have been trying to stay offline and decided Sunday morning would be best spent offline and away from electronics. But, the pull of adding my grateful list kept calling. :smile:

I am grateful for the nice, relaxing weekend.
    I am grateful for the opportunity to catch up with friends.
    I am grateful Tropical Storm Sally passed over Florida with no real damage.

I am praying for those effected by the fires on the west coast of the US. So many are displaced or do not know if they will have homes to come back to. I am also praying for those in Louisiana where TS Sally is expected to hit as a hurricane.

Hugs and positive thoughts to all.