What's on your mind today?

Options

Replies

• SuziQ113
    SuziQ113 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone.

Ah, Friday. You're finally here! I have been waiting for you all week.

So many things running through my mind as I think about what I am grateful for today.
    • I am so very grateful for the UAC members posting here and sharing their thoughts, pointers, and support.
    • I am so very grateful for my health. Yes, we all have issues of one type or another. I must always remember when I am thinking about where I am at to remember I do not have a debilitating disease, I am not immobile, I do not have to struggle to walk or get basic tasks completed. I may be slower than I was 30 years ago, but I am doing pretty darn good.
    • I am so very grateful to be gainfully employed. I know I mention this often, but during these times this is worth its weight in gold. So many are trying to make ends meet, feed their families, pay their bills, and a host of other money-related stresses. My employment may not last through this, but for now I am doing very well.

I may be taking a timeout this weekend because I have many little projects that have been accumulating. I really want to make a dent in my to-do list!

I hope everyone has a great weekend. Hugs to all.
  • HASWLRS
    HASWLRS Posts: 7,997 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear about your knee, @katiecan2019, but your physical and mental recovery is inspiring! You were down, but not out!!
  • readyornot1234
    readyornot1234 Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    @katiecan2019 - what a positive outlook! I wish you a speedy recovery. Slow and steady.
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options
    It is almost Tuesday, here.

Today I worked on editing a manuscript that wanted to make my eyes bleed! 😂 The punctuation goes INSIDE quotation marks.Etcetera is ETC, not ECT. 🤦🏼‍♀️ Never start a sentence with the word, “And.”

I could go on and on. Until today, I thought anyone who could string a few words together could write. Yeah, no! Not so much. These people are the reason editors were born. 😂

My gratitude list:
    1. Baby Cat has a name; it’s Luna.
    2. Luna is starting to play with me. 😻
    3. We are freezing all the leftover pork for suppers later in the year.

I got a little homesick for my work friends, so I reached out. My former team is hating life. This makes me grateful that I got the hell out when I did!

Here is a picture if Luna at 17 days old:

jq0ptyy5njv3.jpeg

• BMcC9
    BMcC9 Posts: 4,364 Member
    edited September 2020
    Options
    Finally posted my NSV today on the Sept 15 thread .... so that you don't have to go back for it, I am repeating here as a Gratitude.
    ========
    I am grateful that my default personality setting is "Solution Finder" (a "Problem Solver" would have stopped at the first inelegant quick-and-dirty work-around "found a kluge" stage ... I used that as base-line survival with day-to-day keep-to-schedule work requirements ... while continuing to refine towards a sustainable final-solution package - that INCLUDES DOCUMENTATION)
    ==========
    I have made huge progress in getting all my snakes to slither in formation ... (I have been describing the work-load spike that was giving me sooo much stress as "a ball of snakes")

The spike was because the volume of through-put for this particular process is ALREADY almost 300% higher than all of last year ... and the year isn't over yet ....

I have made it past "kluge" to "decent-results beta-test" and am finishing "final refinements" over this week. (sings slightly off-key) " I did it MYYYYYYYYYY WAAAAAYYYYYYY!"

(for those who might not know: Merrium-Webster dictionary defines "kluge" as: a haphazard or makeshift solution to a problem and especially to a computer or programming problem. Often an inelegant quick-and-dirty work-around.

The "how do I DOO this work-flow at all without panicking over whether I am missing something for even ONE micro-project, let alone keep straight where each of the dozen currently in-play micro-projects are on their ever-shifting individual spectra (plus 6 just PRETENDING to be dormant that might start moving at any moment ... ) " problem sprang primarily from lack of documented procedures / checklists on the computer ... and the fact that my memory tends to be visually-prompted but my brought-home work computer refuses to talk to either of my at-home printers.
  • BMcC9
    BMcC9 Posts: 4,364 Member
    Options
    It is almost Tuesday, here.

Today I worked on editing a manuscript that wanted to make my eyes bleed! 😂 The punctuation goes INSIDE quotation marks.Etcetera is ETC, not ECT. 🤦🏼‍♀️ Never start a sentence with the word, “And.”

I could go on and on. Until today, I thought anyone who could string a few words together could write. Yeah, no! Not so much. These people are the reason editors were born. 😂

My gratitude list:
    1. Baby Cat has a name; it’s Luna.
    2. Luna is starting to play with me. 😻
    3. We are freezing all the leftover pork for suppers later in the year.

I got a little homesick for my work friends, so I reached out. My former team is hating life. This makes me grateful that I got the hell out when I did!

Here is a picture if Luna at 17 days old:

jq0ptyy5njv3.jpeg

Little Luna is soooooooooo cuuuuuuuuute!
  • SuziQ113
    Options
    @juliemouse83
    Luna is adorable! She looks like she is thriving. Aw, I wish I could pet her!!!!
  • SuziQ113
    Options
    Just a quick stop in. Work started off with a bang - it's our quarter end and the team was hit with a rather large project so it's all hands on deck.

Grateful to be working and busy.
    Grateful to feel appreciated at work.
    Grateful the sun is shining through the window.
    Grateful for the cold front....our high will only be 86 today!!! Yeah!!!!!!!
    Grateful to be alive.
  • SuziQ113
    Options
    @juliemouse83

My writing probably makes your eyes bleed. I always hated diagraming a sentence and it shows! Given I am numbers driven words are always my challenge.

I will say, "I do know how to quote." LOL!!!! And, if I forget how to punctuate something there is always the web. Sorry, had to start with an "and".
  • juliemouse83
    Options
    SuziQ113 wrote: »
    @juliemouse83

My writing probably makes your eyes bleed. I always hated diagraming a sentence and it shows! Given I am numbers driven words are always my challenge.

I will say, "I do know how to quote." LOL!!!! And, if I forget how to punctuate something there is always the web. Sorry, had to start with an "and".

Girrrrrrrl! :lol::lol::lol:

Compared to what I’m editing? Yours could win prizes! I am over here thinking to myself that she HAD to have handed in the draft copy, but, no. The misspellings are plentiful, the use of same sounding words, different spellings (verses/versus) and run on sentences the length of paragraphs abound. :open_mouth:

I thought converting to book format would be the hardest part, but it wasn’t. (I’ve never put anything in book format before, but am soooo thankful for YouTube videos.)

That said? I’m grateful to just have a gig that will pay for my insurance. I’m also grateful for:
    1. Another full night’s sleep, as Luna is starting to sleep through the night,
    2. Hot coffee on a chilly morning,
    3. Being a happy person, overall; I have a friend who is convinced happiness eludes her,
    4. The slower paced path my life has taken.

I’ve pretty much been a slug this past week, but now it’s time to start knocking projects out. Today is going to be replacing the first of five interior doors, and cutting the quarter round in the guest bath to snug the new vanity against the wall, mounting the new mirror and putting up towel racks, etc. 🤗

I hope everyone has a great day, today!
  • SuziQ113
    Options
    Hello everyone.

Hoping all are doing well and staying sane. I have been in a funk lately - I think it is the extended time with little to no in person socialization. I am working through this period and am doing much better. I have started to hold more video chats with my co-workers and making more calls to friends and both strategies seem to be working. I am also thinking about coordinating a socially-distanced happy hour within the section of the community of which I reside. Trying to figure out the logistics and "rules". :smile:

I am grateful for the following.
    • The cold front! I awakened to a 74 degree morning with no humidity! I was so excited I took a walk at 5am this morning.
    • Smokey the cat. He continues to keep me company and makes me laugh at his antics.
    • My little garden. It provides a place of peace and balance for me.

It off to the races for me! Work beckons......
  • juliemouse83
    Options
    Hi, all!

It’s been a little busy today. I finished that first manuscript and sent it off. Glad it’s off my plate. Bleeding eyeballs are not a good look for anyone, lol!

Now that the work is done, I am spending the rest of the day on self-care. Needing to refresh the purple in my hair for a week or so, so I will do that, then I’m going to attempt a full-on manicure with tips and dip powder, since I can have extensions, now. We will see how that goes. I’m out of practice. I used to do nail art for my nails as a hobby until I ended up under Nursing services a few years ago, so I had to stop doing that. I picked up some new bubble bath yesterday and think I will take a good soak after dinner.

It’s in the mid-70’s here and feels so nice outside.

Hope everyone is having a great Wednesday!
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,093 Member
    Options
    Wednesday is drawing to a close.
    My Reasons to be grateful today:
    • We had our new CH boiler installed yesterday! All set for winter.
    • DH and I had a long walk in the autumn sunshine this afternoon.
    • We ate the last of our late strawberries with ice cream after dinner.
    • The freedom I have to choose what I want to do.

@BMcC9 I would go for the elegant solution every time. Constant refinement is very satisfying.

@juliemouse83 Sounds to me like you are settling into your life reset very happily.
    😍Pretty kitty cat Luna

@SuziQ113 Finding new ways of interacting is crucial to mental health. Lots of communities have been holding socially distanced coffee get togethers, exercise sessions, dances etc in their streets. You could put a note through some of your neighbours doors and see how they react. Keep it small and simple to start with, socially distanced, bring your own refreshments sort of thing.
  • SuziQ113
    Options
    Hello everyone!

Terry - I agree 100%. My neighborhood get together will be with the 3 units directly around me. We all get along and we will be able to stay safe. I also spoke to a dear friend about me hosting Thanksgiving (yes, it's early). My unit is L-shaped and my windows are full door sliders. I also have a private courtyard. I will open all of the sliders, turn on the ceiling fans, put up the sun shade outside, and set up socially distant seats. There will only be four of us so very doable and the four are all playing it very safe. I am actually excited and looking forward to it.

I am so grateful for the following.
    • The continued "cold" front. I had a pleasant morning walk.
    • The craziness at work. The work days are flying by.
    • My dear friends. I may not have a large list but those who are my true friends are very dear to me and my heart.
    • Life in general.

I was really suffering for about two weeks. Now that the weather is getting better and I am spending more time outside I am doing much better. I know many will think I am crazy about planning Thanksgiving so early. Honestly, the planning is exciting me. I love hosting and cooking for people.

Hope everyone has had or is having a great day!