What's on your mind today?

RangerRickL
RangerRickL Posts: 8,469 Member
This is where you can share what's on your mind. Recipes, ideas, workouts, anything that you think might be helpful to others.

Maybe, you've tried something that has worked for you in the past and would like to share it with the group. Maybe, you have a NSV (Non Scale Victory) that you would like to share with the group. Anything that you feel comfortable sharing or anything that you feel comfortable asking the group with help....this is the place to come.

The GOOD!! What NSV did you have this week!!
The BAD!! So what....you ate the whole thing!!
The UGLY!! That darn scale went through the window this week....it deserved it too!!

So, what's on your mind today??

Replies

• josefinejem
    josefinejem Posts: 249 Member
    @ginadomaszewicz I like the logic behind not weighing. I know that if I've gained it can push me to comfort eat (because what's the point?) and if I lose a lot I feel as if I can allow myself to eat more. OTOH I also know that if I don't weigh regularly I have the mindset that I can always catch up later (never do) so I'm not sure what the best approach isfor me... Perhaps I just really need to stop finding excuses for overeating. 😆
  • GigiDoma
    GigiDoma Posts: 445 Member
    @FibroHiker
    I saw in your introduction page that you have " leaky gut". I too found out since I am in my 50's that I can no longer tolerate gluten. I was having issues where my stomach would get so swollen I would look ready to deliver a baby! Since eating gluten free it has helped, but you must read those labels carefully. Alot of gluten free items have high calories and sugar! I was exercising every day for a month and eating good, so I thought. I was VERY dissapointed when I found out I had put on 3 pounds and when I decided to get back on here and log every thing I ate. On first day I logged calories I hardly had any calories left ( before exercise logged in) I felt like I had hardly eaten anything and I didn't even log dinner yet. Told my husband...well guess I am out of calories so NO dinner for me! He of course thinks all this is crazy! So I started looking at my diary for day and where were all the calories coming from? I was eating 3 gluten free protein bars a day. The bars have 280 calories and quite a bit of carbs. I also was eating a lot of fruit and it too has a lot of carbs and calories, especially grapes! I ate
    probably 2 cups a day of those for 200 calories! My pie shape at bottom of my food log is a huge slice of carbs, small amount of fat, and not nearly enough protein. So starting this week I am changing up some of those food choices. I do slip too and eat things not good for my gut and pay for it dearly as well and not just on the scale. Its hard work and discouraging at times and sometimes I just wish I could eat what everyone else is having. Good luck to you in October!
  • FibroHiker
    FibroHiker Posts: 338 Member
    @FibroHiker
    I saw in your introduction page that you have " leaky gut". I too found out since I am in my 50's that I can no longer tolerate gluten. I was having issues where my stomach would get so swollen I would look ready to deliver a baby! Since eating gluten free it has helped, but you must read those labels carefully. Alot of gluten free items have high calories and sugar! I was exercising every day for a month and eating good, so I thought. I was VERY dissapointed when I found out I had put on 3 pounds and when I decided to get back on here and log every thing I ate. On first day I logged calories I hardly had any calories left ( before exercise logged in) I felt like I had hardly eaten anything and I didn't even log dinner yet. Told my husband...well guess I am out of calories so NO dinner for me! He of course thinks all this is crazy! So I started looking at my diary for day and where were all the calories coming from? I was eating 3 gluten free protein bars a day. The bars have 280 calories and quite a bit of carbs. I also was eating a lot of fruit and it too has a lot of carbs and calories, especially grapes! I ate
    probably 2 cups a day of those for 200 calories! My pie shape at bottom of my food log is a huge slice of carbs, small amount of fat, and not nearly enough protein. So starting this week I am changing up some of those food choices. I do slip too and eat things not good for my gut and pay for it dearly as well and not just on the scale. Its hard work and discouraging at times and sometimes I just wish I could eat what everyone else is having. Good luck to you in October!

Yes, I have had the same issues. I started with an elimination diet for two months and then tried reintroducing various foods. The first time I ate gluten after that my belly also swelled up to look like I was pregnant. I don't need that. I also can't have mushrooms and some other fruits and vegetables. I thought this week that I really wanted some naan bread. It wasn't worth it.

I found it was easier to stick to lower calories throughout the day when I did a ratio of 30% carbs, 40% fats, and 30% protein. I stay satiated and didn't feel hungry. Hope you can do well on the challenge too.
  • GigiDoma
    GigiDoma Posts: 445 Member
    @FibroHiker ....What kinds of fruit and veggies upset your stomach and caused bloating? I am curious because I limit gluten, but still find that at times my stomach will get bloated. I am wondering if could be one of my fruits or veggies?
  • FibroHiker
    FibroHiker Posts: 338 Member
    @FibroHiker ....What kinds of fruit and veggies upset your stomach and caused bloating? I am curious because I limit gluten, but still find that at times my stomach will get bloated. I am wondering if could be one of my fruits or veggies?

Most of the vegetables restricted on the low-Fodmap diet are off limits to me. I have tried introducing a few and had bad reactions. I just stick to the diet to avoid inflammation.
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,060 Member
    65hnarb12y1z.jpeg

Looking forward to getting to know our new members.
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,060 Member
    😍 the words of wisdom of @MadisonMolly
    She puts it over so well.
  • SuziQ113
    SuziQ113 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Back from my fishing trip, vacation part 2 and anxious to get back in. I did not make the winner's circle in September, but did ok. I lost about 3 pounds in September and have been trying to stay in maintenance so I am happy. Will try for the winner's circle in October.

Thanks for doing this Rick, it is a great thing.

Fishing was good, got a freezer full of tuna now.
    6jtpv2no82c4.jpg

Love fresh caught tuna! Yum. It looks like you had a great trip. Thanks for sharing!
  • jules7890
    jules7890 Posts: 145 Member
    10/1 off to rocky start. Will refocus even as day 1 of the month is still here. Started new job. Instituting break schedule & mini exercise sessions.
  • keepeout
    keepeout Posts: 6 Member
    I hope this is the right place to post this! I am in need of some advice. I have a hard time getting myself to eat and some days I go without eating at all. I joined the October accountability challenge as a way to get myself to consume the appropriate calories and exercise but some days it's just very hard. Does anyone else here ever struggle with eating? I prefer home cooked meals versus fast food, so I suppose it could be the energy it takes to cook that seems draining to me. If anyone has advice I'd appreciate it. If there is a different place I should post this, please let me know.

Day one went well though. Made some homemade tagliatelle yesterday and that's just about all I could get myself to eat.

Happy October everyone! :)
  • MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 10,972 Member
    jules7890 wrote: »
    10/1 off to rocky start. Will refocus even as day 1 of the month is still here. Started new job. Instituting break schedule & mini exercise sessions.

@jules7890 Be kind to yourself. A new job might mean needing to create (and practice some new methods). Any change can renew the attention we *temporarily* need to Increase.

#You’ve Got This