One Thing you Learned in your 40s

Options
ladyzherra
ladyzherra Posts: 438 Member
What is one thing that you learned in your 40s that you wish you could tell your 20s self?

Replies

• JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    That I’d have a great life my Daughter too someday so the fight to survive daily life would be worth it 10 folds
  • CaptAwesome77
    CaptAwesome77 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    That I wasted way too long sweating the small stuff. That every moment is a learning experience and a chance to better myself, even if it’s learning what not to do!
  • ladyzherra
    Options
    @racergirl1991 I try to not worry what others think. I am a judgmental person myself (who has spend lots of work on being less judgmental), and I judge myself very hard. However, with age, I do care "less" about what others think, yet still a great deal.
  • omelet2000
    omelet2000 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    All those people that are what and where you want to be? They aren’t doing anything magical. You can do it too.
  • MidlifeCrisisFitness
    MidlifeCrisisFitness Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    Diet is key. Exercise is no longer sufficient.
  • ladyzherra
    Options
    @KHMcG This is exactly right for me, too. Exercise is so important for health, and also for shaping the body in a way that brings a feeling of success. However, diet is really the most important factor in the weight loss puzzle, and the more difficult piece for me.
  • MidlifeCrisisFitness
    MidlifeCrisisFitness Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    There is a new group called Midlife Crisis Fitness.

It is focussed mainly for guys that want to lose the Dad bod but has good general humankind advice as well.

The group is not for folks with special or challenging physical situations but can offer advice and ideas for middle agers looking to lose 50 or less lbs.

It is not a social group.
  • Gidgitgoescrazy
    Gidgitgoescrazy Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    - That stress and worry is nothing more than wasted time.
    - That working your *kitten* off for anyone but yourself is wasted time and energy, this in regards to a job, I wasted alot of time busting my *kitten* to climb a ladder only to have that ladder pushed over... Missed alot of time with my kids doing that...
  • weatherking2019
    weatherking2019 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    Listen to your parents.

Took too many wrong turns in life because I didn't listen to them.
    I found my way but I can't take back the 10 years.
  • filmgal30
    filmgal30 Posts: 3,992 Member
    Options
    Health and family really are important-even if they drive you crazy. You need to build a “real” support group that really will help you if you need, not just say it, but do it. Actions really speak louder than words, especially in health. Teach yourself or fit healthy eating and exercise into your life early on (like your twenties) so that you can enjoy life and be healthier so you can live a longer life w/out health problems you can prevent (like fatty liver or type 2 diabetes). It will save you a lot of money and beating yourself up in the long run. (Health insurance/medical bills are expensive so try to be healthy So you don’t need to deal with them.)
  • BuddhaBunnyFTW
    BuddhaBunnyFTW Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    That a peaceful existence comes from compassion and kindness, and that I should have taken more computer programming classes. XD
  • gladz2014
    gladz2014 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Be your true authentic self and it is not selfish to say no.
  • breskamac
    breskamac Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Don’t waste time... you can’t get even a minute of it back.
  • snuff15ee
    snuff15ee Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Budget and invest more.
  • ladyzherra
    Options
    gladz2014 wrote: »
    Be your true authentic self and it is not selfish to say no.

Finding an authentic self has taken time for me and I am not sure I have found it yet-- perhaps it is just always in flux. But I get what you're saying here!
  • gearheadgreg
    gearheadgreg Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    make time for yourself. the work will always be there but friends and family won't
  • gearheadgreg
    gearheadgreg Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    oh and buy stock in google and amazon lol