What's on your mind today?

Replies

• TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,054 Member
    @keepeout Also, if you have a meal you like, prepare several portions at and freeze the extras, then you always have healthy food available quickly.
  • SModa61
    SModa61 Posts: 2,855 Member
    @alligatorob Definitely NOT showing my husband your photo. Just finished his season in Maine. I need a break from his fishing before heading down to Florida. But congrats! Nice catch!
  • jules7890
    jules7890 Posts: 145 Member
    keepeout wrote: »
    I hope this is the right place to post this! I am in need of some advice. I have a hard time getting myself to eat and some days I go without eating at all. I joined the October accountability challenge as a way to get myself to consume the appropriate calories and exercise but some days it's just very hard. Does anyone else here ever struggle with eating? I prefer home cooked meals versus fast food, so I suppose it could be the energy it takes to cook that seems draining to me. If anyone has advice I'd appreciate it. If there is a different place I should post this, please let me know.

Day one went well though. Made some homemade tagliatelle yesterday and that's just about all I could get myself to eat.

Happy October everyone! :)

Hi @keepeout!

I mostly eat very simple meals with little to no prep.

Peanut butter toast, nonfat milk (with or without decaf coffee), a small piece dark chocolate, & an apple cleaned/chopped with cinnamon allspice nutmeg.
    (The most work is cutting the apple, which you could skip. Eat bread instead of toast, etc.)

Microwave Oatmeal packs, unsalted nuts, strawberries, nonfat latte

Greek yogurt, cut up plums/nectarines, some Maple Kind Clusters, unsalted nuts, another piece chocolate

Cut up red pepper, celery & carrot sticks, cherry tomatoes with 3-4 ounces Sabra roasted red pepper hummus. Mozzarella cheese stick.

Tuna fish salad.

Can of Amy’s low sodium soup: Lentil Veg, Rustic Italian Vegetable, Chili.

Microwave brown rice cup with grilled salmon or chicken (most time consuming thing we cook) with cooked green beans, frozen microwaved mixed veg or peas.

Apple gate or Saffron Road chicken nuggets (microwaved) with Alexia potato puffs & peas

Quick Snacks:
    A Kind bar with a decaf coffee
    String Cheese with apple
    A few nuts & a fizzy water
    Peanut butter toast

I realized to lose weight & keep it off, I needed to be able to get to my meal quickly. This the above.

I place the foods on cute little dishes on a tray & I savor each bite.

Lost 74 lbs since 1/1/16 & have maintained 25 months. The KEY to losing wt for me was reducing - and now eliminating- eating out. These quick fix meals were a huge part of my solution because we are out all the time.

I hope this Concept will work for you. Your meals will, of course, be different. I began by creating a breakfast I lived. Then a lunch. Then snacks before my long walk. And then dinner.

Baby steps!

Thanks for sharing!
    Very inspiring reply!!
  • kareng_49
    kareng_49 Posts: 23 Member
    Sitting in the rain watching baseball with a bag full of healthy snack options. Goal - stay warm and not indulge in Snacks due to boredom and discomfort...so cold. Day 3 - staying on track! Does maintaining body temperature count as a workout?
  • SModa61
    Three days of the challenge completed and I have one struggle going on and would love input. So I have been participating by using my calorie goal that does not include exercise calories (1430 cal) while my 20+ minutes daily exercise is averaging over 200 calories a day, and I should add that I am only counting "formal" exercise and not my typical daily activities. While I am down 1.6 pounds in 3 days (6.4 in 3 weeks), which is nice, I am now hungry ALL THE TIME, which was not the case the first 18 days of MFP tracking and 4.8 pounds.

What would you do?
  • SuziQ113
    SuziQ113 Posts: 1,520 Member
    SModa61 wrote: »
    Three days of the challenge completed and I have one struggle going on and would love input. So I have been participating by using my calorie goal that does not include exercise calories (1430 cal) while my 20+ minutes daily exercise is averaging over 200 calories a day, and I should add that I am only counting "formal" exercise and not my typical daily activities. While I am down 1.6 pounds in 3 days (6.4 in 3 weeks), which is nice, I am now hungry ALL THE TIME, which was not the case the first 18 days of MFP tracking and 4.8 pounds.

What would you do?

Different things work for different people. I have found starting my day with protein eliminates much of my hunger throughout the day. I am a grazer and planning smaller, more frequent meals works for me. I also do not believe in fat-free or reduced-fat products. I find eating smaller amounts of full-fat foods is more satisfying and keeps me satisfied for much longer periods of time.

Good luck! Let's us know what ideas you incorporate and what works for you!
  • SModa61
    SuziQ113 wrote: »

What would you do?

Different things work for different people. I have found starting my day with protein eliminates much of my hunger throughout the day. I am a grazer and planning smaller, more frequent meals works for me. I also do not believe in fat-free or reduced-fat products. I find eating smaller amounts of full-fat foods is more satisfying and keeps me satisfied for much longer periods of time.

@SuziQ113 I am skewing pretty well towards lower carb but I did realize during my walk this morning, that yesterday was comparatively high (I crossed 100 carbs) so maybe that is a component. Today should be better on the fats (cream cheese is involved in my lunch). Do you have any thoughts in how you would handle the calories consumption? Would you continue to do the daily exercise of over 200 cal, stay under the 1430 daily total, and just shift macros? Or would you consider eating back a portion of the exercise? BTW I am 59 (almost), 146.2 and 5' 4.5". If that helps.
  • SuziQ113
    SuziQ113 Posts: 1,520 Member

What would you do?

@SuziQ113 I am skewing pretty well towards lower carb but I did realize during my walk this morning, that yesterday was comparatively high (I crossed 100 carbs) so maybe that is a component. Today should be better on the fats (cream cheese is involved in my lunch). Do you have any thoughts in how you would handle the calories consumption? Would you continue to do the daily exercise of over 200 cal, stay under the 1430 daily total, and just shift macros? Or would you consider eating back a portion of the exercise? BTW I am 59 (almost), 146.2 and 5' 4.5". If that helps.

I am still in loss mode so I try not to eat exercise calories. Sometimes I plan on eating them back because I'm going out and eating away from home. I'm 56 and 5'9". My daily calorie goal is 1200 so a little lower than you.

I think all of us are a little different and have to experiment with what works best for us. I do not pay attention to macros. I am more the how my body feels type. I'm much more satisfied with a baked potato and vegetables than a steak and salad.
  • SModa61

What would you do?

I am still in loss mode so I try not to eat exercise calories. Sometimes I plan on eating them back because I'm going out and eating away from home. I'm 56 and 5'9". My daily calorie goal is 1200 so a little lower than you.

I think all of us are a little different and have to experiment with what works best for us. I do not pay attention to macros. I am more the how my body feels type. I'm much more satisfied with a baked potato and vegetables than a steak and salad.

Wow! You are taller and younger than me and eating fewer calories. I think I would be chewing my arm off at 1200.

BTW I saw in your intro post that you did WW at one time. I started with them in 2001, lost my "then" weight and began working for them in 2002. I worked for them until 2014 and continued as a member. Then the program drifted so much from what I needed, it no longer supported me. Since I was free lifetime, I attended for friendships. Then COVID, and my weight gain, so no more meetings for a while. Happy I am here! :)
  • GigiDoma
    GigiDoma Posts: 445 Member
    @SModa61 I saw your post about feeling hungry and wondering about eating exercise calories back. I try and start my day with mostly protein. This fills me up longer. I also eat plenty of veggies like cucumbers, celery, tomatoes, etc..that I can quickly munch through the day. Sometimes I eat them plain and other times with peanutbutter or hummus. I am 143 pounds and 5'2, 52 years old. My calorie total for day is 1200. I usually burn 500 calories a day on my treadmill. I will eat calories back if needed, but I usually at end of day have around 400 left after exercise. I think once you feel like you are starving it gets hard to stay on track. I find days I feel that way I usually didnt eat enough protein or veggies. Don't get hard on yourself if you are hungry and need to eat some of those exercise calories back. Hopefully you can get some new ideas on here that will help. Good luck!
  • SModa61
    @SModa61 I saw your post about feeling hungry and wondering about eating exercise calories back. I try and start my day with mostly protein. This fills me up longer. I also eat plenty of veggies like cucumbers, celery, tomatoes, etc..that I can quickly munch through the day. Sometimes I eat them plain and other times with peanutbutter or hummus. I am 143 pounds and 5'2, 52 years old. My calorie total for day is 1200. I usually burn 500 calories a day on my treadmill. I will eat calories back if needed, but I usually at end of day have around 400 left after exercise. I think once you feel like you are starving it gets hard to stay on track. I find days I feel that way I usually didnt eat enough protein or veggies. Don't get hard on yourself if you are hungry and need to eat some of those exercise calories back. Hopefully you can get some new ideas on here that will help. Good luck!

Thanks for your response. At the end of today, I am feeling more sane and yes my macros today were lower in carb protein at 126g and 62g fat if I recall. Slightly hungry right now, but appropriately so. I don't know how you and suziQ are doing these 1200 cal/day and exercising. The day that set off this whole hunger cycle was Thursday when I ate something like 1198 plus upper 200 in exercise. I was ok that day. Then friday morning, i could not get unhungry, then Sat the same, and then my post this morning, Sunday. If I had crossed my 1340 on friday and used exercise points, I think i could have stopped it. But then I would have crossed my target calories for the challenge. Anyhow, thank you again! :)
  • RangerRickL
    RangerRickL Posts: 8,469 Member
    @alligatorob Congratulations on the great catch!!
    Rick
  • readyornot1234
    readyornot1234 Posts: 1,027 Member
    @KCJen - hi - welcome back.

@BMcC9 - that is so good to hear - congrats.