Shrinking Assets - October 2020 Team Chat

Options

Replies

• Beka3695
    Beka3695 Posts: 4,126 Member
    Options
    Habits... the good, bad, and ugly

When I lost my weight 3 yrs ago, I made a protein latte most every day in an effort to keep my protein up. When I started gaining back, this was probably the first thing I stopped doing. When I had my 3/1/20 mind shift, this is one of the first things I started doing again.

Last night, I took a look at the nutrition tab of my log. The average protein intake for the past 7 days was only 48g/ day.... way too low!!!! Well, I haven’t made a protein latte in over a month!!!! What the heck? It’s 105 cal for 25g of protein. Yes, chicken breast has more, but the latte is so darn convenient.

Why have I not been making them???
    Just a habit I let go way too easily. I made one today. I will be making a conscious effort to get my protein count back to around 100g/ day before my hair starts falling out 🤣

The boy and I are about to go for our walk. Hope everyone has an amazing day!!!
  • boehle
    boehle Posts: 5,062 Member
    Options
    I am so ready for flu season to be over. I think yesterday we did 60 shots... plus I have been stressing about next week as we have a mandatory furlough and being the only income in my house, that scares me... luckily, my part time job is giving me full time hours next week to help ease the pain but it still wont be anything close to my regular pay.... wah, rant over.
  • ShowKitten
    ShowKitten Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    @Beka3695 yes on protein! I always forget how much protein fills me up. Protein latte sound lovely! Hope you enjoyed your walk

@boehle sorry on the mandatory furlough, it’s such a worrying time for finances as well. Hope you’re not too stressed
  • KittyInBoots17
    KittyInBoots17 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Weigh In Wednesday:

It was Canadian Thanksgiving on Monday. We all know what happens on Thanksgiving, so I would like to carry over from last week. I legit didn't weigh in. I know it's up, I just don't wanna see it LOL.

KittyInBoots17:
    PW: 233.2
    CW: 233.2
  • KittyInBoots17
    KittyInBoots17 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    It got really cold all of the sudden over the long weekend. I hauled all my plants that need wintering over into the garage. I had to work fast, the wind has been blowing for days and it's incredibly cold. The great thing is it forced me to do exercise. HA! Maybe I burned off some of that Thanksgiving feast... It feels like Tuesday to me but have a great rest of the week everyone!
  • hipari
    hipari Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I've been out for a few days.... lots of scary and exciting things going on!

@ShowKitten welcome! I'm hoping to jump on that 9-month break from MFP - not that I've been very active or making an effort lately.... I'll be turning to you for tips then!

@Beka3695 great job on realizing the latte habit has gone missing! But honey, no jokes about hair falling out. If that's an actual risk for you, don't mess around with it. Speaking as someone with zero hair anywhere, it's really not a joke.

@boehle sorry to hear about your job!

I got my flu shot a couple of weeks ago and somehow convinced myself that the flu shot, wearing a mask in public transit and avoiding crowds would keep me safe. Well, the colleague I hung out with most of last week called yesterday to let me know his son has the virus, and then called again tonight that he and his wife have symptoms and will get tested in the morning. Since they know their son caught the virus early last week, I've definitely hung out with him while his family had an infection. So, fingers crossed I haven't caught it.

We've been going through our belongings and there are two huge bags of stuff going out for donations to friends and my student house. The local recycling center has a donation pick-up car that's in my area next week, so we'll be bringing some stuff there too. I watched The Home Edit on Netflix, ordered the book and it came in the mail today, and I'm low-key obsessed with organizing all my stuff now. I'm trying to focus on decluttering and small improvements now, since we're (almost) officially moving in 2 months!

We got to visit our new apartment for the first time today and make the first inspection, and the building manager said they're on schedule and move-in date will be Dec 18th as planned. It won't be official until the company sends out official letters, but I trust the dude. Our new apartment is awesome! They still need to fix some things and the dude was especially annoyed that they need to redo our bathroom tiling, but it's because of their mistake so they just have to suck it up.

I can't wait to move in, organize everything and decorate the place! Our current home is the rented apartment we moved into when we were 19, straight from parents' homes and all our furniture was originally donations that family members dug up from storage. We've since mostly upgraded from donation furniture to Ikea, but it's still a little mix-and-match. We got to choose all surface materials and details for the new apartment: flooring, bathroom tiles, kitchen cabinets, faucets etc., and replaced the planned sauna (yes, this is Finland) with a walk-in wardrobe. Soon we'll have a home we actually chose, with materials we actually chose, and we can actually decorate it how we want to. I'm soooo excited!
  • LaurieWrobo
    LaurieWrobo Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    hipari wrote: »
    Sorry, I've been out for a few days.... lots of scary and exciting things going on!

@ShowKitten welcome! I'm hoping to jump on that 9-month break from MFP - not that I've been very active or making an effort lately.... I'll be turning to you for tips then!

@Beka3695 great job on realizing the latte habit has gone missing! But honey, no jokes about hair falling out. If that's an actual risk for you, don't mess around with it. Speaking as someone with zero hair anywhere, it's really not a joke.

@boehle sorry to hear about your job!

I got my flu shot a couple of weeks ago and somehow convinced myself that the flu shot, wearing a mask in public transit and avoiding crowds would keep me safe. Well, the colleague I hung out with most of last week called yesterday to let me know his son has the virus, and then called again tonight that he and his wife have symptoms and will get tested in the morning. Since they know their son caught the virus early last week, I've definitely hung out with him while his family had an infection. So, fingers crossed I haven't caught it.

We've been going through our belongings and there are two huge bags of stuff going out for donations to friends and my student house. The local recycling center has a donation pick-up car that's in my area next week, so we'll be bringing some stuff there too. I watched The Home Edit on Netflix, ordered the book and it came in the mail today, and I'm low-key obsessed with organizing all my stuff now. I'm trying to focus on decluttering and small improvements now, since we're (almost) officially moving in 2 months!

We got to visit our new apartment for the first time today and make the first inspection, and the building manager said they're on schedule and move-in date will be Dec 18th as planned. It won't be official until the company sends out official letters, but I trust the dude. Our new apartment is awesome! They still need to fix some things and the dude was especially annoyed that they need to redo our bathroom tiling, but it's because of their mistake so they just have to suck it up.

I can't wait to move in, organize everything and decorate the place! Our current home is the rented apartment we moved into when we were 19, straight from parents' homes and all our furniture was originally donations that family members dug up from storage. We've since mostly upgraded from donation furniture to Ikea, but it's still a little mix-and-match. We got to choose all surface materials and details for the new apartment: flooring, bathroom tiles, kitchen cabinets, faucets etc., and replaced the planned sauna (yes, this is Finland) with a walk-in wardrobe. Soon we'll have a home we actually chose, with materials we actually chose, and we can actually decorate it how we want to. I'm soooo excited!

What is the Home Edit? I haven't heard of that?
  • Beka3695
    Options
    hipari wrote: »

@Beka3695 great job on realizing the latte habit has gone missing! But honey, no jokes about hair falling out. If that's an actual risk for you, don't mess around with it. Speaking as someone with zero hair anywhere, it's really not a joke.!

No joke. When I lost weight 3 years ago I lost A LOT of hair. My ponytail went from thicker than a quarter to smaller than a nickel. I cut my calories and protein too low
    for too long.

I don’t think this is the case this go round. My hair never thickened up as thick as before, but it has some.

Question- do you ever rock the bald head?
  • hipari
    hipari Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    @LaurieWrobo it's a reality tv series on Netflix, it follows a company called The Home Edit who are professional home organizers. In each episode they do an organizing project (like a pantry, kids' room, wardrobe, garage) for one celebrity and one "regular person". They're huge on Instagram, too.

@Beka3695 my scalp gets irritated if I wear my wig all day every day so I don't wear it at home or when visiting close friends (especially if they have dogs or small children who grab things). That's still far from "rocking it", though. Last summer I started to expand my comfort zone with scarves and turbans, and I wear a light beanie when working out. There's also one big problem with rocking the bald: make-up. I don't have lashes or eyebrows either, and I think rocking it would require quite heavy makeup to balance. Glad to hear your hair recovered at least a little and you're taking care of it!
  • Beka3695
    Options
    @imgwendolyn2015 asked about my protein lattes so I thought I would share the specifics with the group.

I simply take a cup of black coffee and blend with a scoop of protein powder. This is my current chosen proteinr1xyaqo8u84w.jpeg

Isopure Vanilla Salted Caramel. I have also used Isopure cookies and cream.

I like isopure because it isn’t gritty or chalky and doesn’t break the bank.

You must use a blender!!! A blender bottle will give you something resembling scrambled eggs atop your coffee.

Using isopure, your latte will be 105 calories and have 25g protein.
  • imgwendolyn2015
    imgwendolyn2015 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Beka3695 wrote: »
    @imgwendolyn2015 asked about my protein lattes so I thought I would share the specifics with the group.

I simply take a cup of black coffee and blend with a scoop of protein powder. This is my current chosen proteinr1xyaqo8u84w.jpeg

Isopure Vanilla Salted Caramel. I have also used Isopure cookies and cream.

I like isopure because it isn’t gritty or chalky and doesn’t break the bank.

You must use a blender!!! A blender bottle will give you something resembling scrambled eggs atop your coffee.

Using isopure, your latte will be 105 calories and have 25g protein.

Thanks for sharing!
  • imgwendolyn2015
    Options
    @Beka3695 I tried the protein latte! Had to add a dash of splenda to make it more palatable but it was pretty tasty! Thanks for the idea!
  • imgwendolyn2015
    edited October 2020
    Options
    Username: imgwendolyn2015
    Weigh In Day: Friday
    PW (Previous Weight):173.8
    CW (Current Weight):173.8

My crappy week is showing! I'm just happy I stayed the same instead of gaining!

• bigblues11
    bigblues11 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    BigBlues11
    PW 162.0
    CW 160.0 (-2.0 pnds)
    TLD -64.0 pnds

I've been in California for over a week taking care of my father. It's been quite stressful and exhausting. I'm not surprised at the 2 pound weight loss. Looking forward to going home tomorrow and getting back on schedule!
  • Beka3695
    Options
    ujpw6241vjzx.jpeg

My new favorite veggie - delicata squash.

I just had half this pan for 212 calories!!!
  • Beka3695
    Options
    carriestrine
    Weigh in Fridays
    PW: 195.8
    CW: 199.4
    LTD: 34.6 lb

I suspect I've been really overdoing the sodium, and I have really slacked off on my workouts. Need to get back on the train.

This journey is a lot of trial and error. You will get back!!!!
  • kilobykilo
    kilobykilo Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Hi guys, I hope everyone is having a good week and hadls nice plans for the weekend ahead, whatever that means these days!

I haven't been at all active here recently because I've been rushed off my feet and the app is still being glitchy.

I started with an online PT and lifestyle coach on Monday as I really want to stop this cycling up and down this same 15lb and really fix my relationship with food and myself.

She really wants me to move away from the scales and (i think) I'm ready to give it a go. So, I'm going to bow out of the group, at least for the time being. Being around all the numbers and check ins will be too tempting.... am I addicted to my scales? Probably!

I'll still be logging and using my diary each day, funnily enough with a heavy emphasis on protein (might have to try a protein latte!) and activity cals and would love to keep in touch with friends on the main feed/stream/wall area.

Thanks a lot to @beka3695 and @boehle for captaining such a welcoming and supportive group. And a big shout out to @TheMrWobbly for motivating me to get myself out and run!

Keep on chasing those goals one and all :):)
  • Beka3695
    Options
    @kilobykilo

I support you!!! Yes, becoming addicted to the scale can happen. Being hyper focused is not always a good thing.

Please take care of you and if you would like to stop by to say hello, feel free to do so.
    You will ALWAYS be one of us!!!
This discussion has been closed.