What's on your mind today?

Options
RangerRickL
RangerRickL Posts: 8,469 Member
This is where you can share what's on your mind. Recipes, ideas, workouts, anything that you think might be helpful to others.

Maybe, you've tried something that has worked for you in the past and would like to share it with the group. Maybe, you have a NSV (Non Scale Victory) that you would like to share with the group. Anything that you feel comfortable sharing or anything that you feel comfortable asking the group with help....this is the place to come.

The GOOD!! What NSV did you have this week!!
The BAD!! So what....you ate the whole thing!!
The UGLY!! That darn scale went through the window this week....it deserved it too!!

So, what's on your mind today??

Replies

• donna25trinity
    donna25trinity Posts: 3,044 Member
    edited November 2020
    Options
    79 calories over today and no exercise. Fingers crossed tomorrow will be a better day! :'(
  • HHdeern66
    HHdeern66 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    In a perfect day I pre-track all my food in the morning. I allow myself to make substitutions during the day. I think t his will work well for me and maybe it can help others. I don't have to think about what to eat as it has been already decided. I even leave 150 cal for a surprise snack or an extra helping.
  • donna25trinity
    Options
    That is a really clever way of doing things. Thanks for sharing Marianne. I shall give the pre_tracking a try today. Happy Friday everyone. :D
  • HHdeern66
    Options
    Happy Friday to all !
    I walk three times a week with a friend in the morning. We do about 4-5 miles through the woods. Not just for physical exercise but also for our sanity. Being out in nature helps keep the stress level low. We have been doing this for years and our bodies are used to it. Obviously we both still managed to gain weight :)
    Here is my question:
    My fitness pal awards our effort with extra calories. Do you use your exercise calories? I feel it's a bit much and possibly counter productive. What is everybody's opinion on extra calories?
  • donna25trinity
    Options
    Yeah getting out in nature is great for the mind body and soul.

As for using exercise calories there are days especially when exercising alot that the body just needs more food but for the most part i agree that it can def be counter productive.
  • BMcC9
    BMcC9 Posts: 4,408 Member
    Options
    Happy Friday to all !

Here is my question:
    My fitness pal awards our effort with extra calories. Do you use your exercise calories? I feel it's a bit much and possibly counter productive. What is everybody's opinion on extra calories?

Yeah getting out in nature is great for the mind body and soul.

As for using exercise calories there are days especially when exercising alot that the body just needs more food but for the most part i agree that it can def be counter productive.

Routinely having too large a deficit can also be counter-productive in the the long term.

Renewing UAC member here. There are differing approaches, and your choice might also vary depending on the type / level of nutrition needed to support the body for your chosen exercise plan or sport. Also, some activities burn significantly more calories per session (high intensity cardio) while others are less intense in the moment, but will give other improvements metabolically over time (strength / resistance training or balance&stretching for example).

In general, if we are talking about "exercise credits granted by MFP after a daily walk / hike, or gardening or whatever", some of the calculations do strike many people as over-generous. If you are already set at an "active lifestyle" then you may already be consuming suitable calories to cover that, and should only be logging / claiming "over&above your personal norm" as MFP exercise credits.

(FYI - UAC "20 minutes of intentional exercise" is extremely broad, and need not be logged in the exercise diary. Check FAQ #3 for details - and if you are someone barely starting daily intentional activity and have little stamina, or are are recovering from an illness or injury, the 20 minutes need not even be all in one go, but rather spread over several sessions through the day)

One option is to "take in sufficient calories that even with extra "burned through activity calorie credits" you continue to average-lose your chosen target of "X per week". You may find that only eating back 1/3 or 1/2 of of the calories MFP SAID you earned will do that. Your intake will still be in deficit to your activity, but not in an unhealthy way.

That way, it isn't that you "do more so that you can eat more" but rather search out the sweetpoint for "eat more so that you can fuel doing more of what you enjoy".

That worked well for me over a 2-3 yr period when I was in the "actively shedding" phase. But it is only one option.

Purely guessing from your photos, I am probably a significantly-older-than-you female, with a consequently slower metabolism. I only recently slipped out the top of my maintenance range and am working my way back inside the envelope. Which becomes harder as you get older.

Most of my activity choice is relatively-light cardio (brisk-walk exergame and regular evening strolls / not tending to auto-include even light resistance-work or balance&flexibility in the mix that I probably should).

Congrats to you both for building strongly health-supporting lifestyle habits earlier than I put my mind and efforts towards!
  • BMcC9
    Options
    And may I say ... "good on-ya" BOTH for starting practicing in advance of the start of the month!
  • BMcC9
    Options
    This link leads to a looooong-running info-thread (started in Oct 2017) about "how to burn calories when you aren't paying attention" or what I personally call "the ninja sneak-attack approach"

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10610953/neat-improvement-strategies-to-improve-weight-loss/p1

the opening entry on page 1 explains what "NEAT" is if you don't already know, and plenty of personal applications follow. Needless to say, given the timespan, some are "pre-covid office situation" suggestions, but there are more than enough alternates to find something currently applicable that that might appeal.

These are the kind of "active-living" calorie burns that are untrackable (therefore no MFP exercise calorie credits to debate over "to eat or not to eat"), and in such tiny bursts as to seem negligible, yet will add up over time through the metabolic equivalent of "the magic of compound interest"
  • globalhiker
    globalhiker Posts: 1,522 Member
    Options
    BMcC9 wrote: »
    This link leads to a looooong-running info-thread (started in Oct 2017) about "how to burn calories when you aren't paying attention" or what I personally call "the ninja sneak-attack approach"

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10610953/neat-improvement-strategies-to-improve-weight-loss/p1

the opening entry on page 1 explains what "NEAT" is if you don't already know, and plenty of personal applications follow. Needless to say, given the timespan, some are "pre-covid office situation" suggestions, but there are more than enough alternates to find something currently applicable that that might appeal.

These are the kind of "active-living" calorie burns that are untrackable (therefore no MFP exercise calorie credits to debate over "to eat or not to eat"), and in such tiny bursts as to seem negligible, yet will add up over time through the metabolic equivalent of "the magic of compound interest"

I have found truth in this. Simply put, the weeks where I work sitting down for 10+ hours a day, I start to slowly gain weight. Then weeks where I am on vacation I find I can lose without trying, because I am on my feet and moving.

I just need to find a new career where I am on my feet - that can pay what my sitting job pays!
  • BMcC9
    Options
    So I actually stopped logging my exercise calories because they get added back into the "allowance" and that would give me way too many to still be able to lose weight. I keep a spreadsheet on my desktop instead.

Plus, it's not all an exact science. Depending on hormone levels at the time of eating, one's body can still go "stash" those extra calories where it genetically decides to....at least that's me!!!

That said, I am trying something new. If I exercise less than an hour (intense)...I don't add back anything. If I exercise more than an hour, I am adding back "half" of the calories burned, back into my allowance. The idea is to feed myself more but in the end still lose weight.

Let's see what happens !???

Another version would be what i do for "pacing based" intentional activity (like my exergame ) to avoid having mfp double-count against my synced fit-bit credit. (even if I walked up and down a mountain all day, the fitbit does NOT report "fitbit exercise credits" to MFP until it registers at least ~100 calories "burned through living" ABOVE what I have logged as eaten has been reached).

The same idea would apply if I used a treadmill / eliptical / stair-stepper / was a jogger or hiker

I put in the name of the intentional activity, but set it for only "1 minute" to acknowledge that I did something, and so that the Fitbit will register "had some deliberate exercise today" yet no MFP exercise calories to speak of are added to the Net Available on the Food diary (only 3 cals per no-matter-how-long an exergame session) If you wanted more detail for your own sense of "look what I managed to do!" you could add it in the exercise log notes section.
  • donna25trinity
    Options
    Great info guys. Thanks.
  • BMcC9
    Options
    Looking forward to seeing all these new "faces" on the Dec 1 page next week! Happy Thanksgiving if you are in that part of the world ...
  • lalabank
    lalabank Posts: 1,009 Member
    Options
    @mlivermore15
    I think @BMcC9 covered the options and tactics. I’ve done months where I eat back and months where I don’t.
    I think the important thing is to decide which approach you want to take for the month AHEAD of time just like you choose your calorie limit AHEAD of time and stick to it.

Set your intention and stay accountable to it.

If you decide you CAN eat back exercise calories it doesn’t mean you have to. But if you decide that you can’t, than you take the pass if you do. I often had months that I would only eat back a percentage of calories and only if I worked out for more than an hour.
    Lol I’m just getting back to UAC so I set my calories at a comfortable level and am not eating back any.
  • BMcC9
    Options
    I am giving myself a S.M.A.R.T. target goal for Dec of 2.5 pounds down over the next month (by half-way between Christmas and New Years) .... which will put me juuuuuuuuussst inside the Normal BMI range, (24.99) and right at the top of my acceptable maintenance range.

That averages out to between 1/2 and 3/4 pound per week. (i am old enough to not have TOM fluctuations)

This will be accomplished by a combination of continuing the resumed stricter logging, and upping the general-activity quotient in my day (and in three weeks, I get to take 3 calendar-weeks of annual leave, so that out-door activity can take place in daylight hours and the (relatively-speaking) so-called "heat of the day". )
  • HHdeern66
    Options
    Happy first Advent ! ( German living in the US )
    This is my first challenge and I'm already amazed at all the great advice in this thread. Thank you BMcC9 and everybody else for the great insight. My goal for December is not to gain any weight. A weight loss would be a big bonus. I loose my focus easily but checking in with you guys will help. Looking forward to a great December for us all , and may we all reach or exceed our goals :)
  • karenesg
    karenesg Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I'm going to try again. I've been on the fast track to undo all the weight loss it took me much time and great effort to accomplish. Hoping a concentration on daily exercise and cutting way down on alcohol will get me closer to my ultimate goal. Thanks for all the info & encouragement. Time to get moving in the right direction again. Good luck to us all B)
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,229 Member
    Options
    Setting my goals for December

December Daily Goals:
    Sat: Su: Mo: Tu:
    We: Th: Fr:
    Work on strength/stamina: All my stats are in the normal range for my age/height.
    Maintain Weight < 150
    Reduce Fat%:✅ 29.3 -> 23.7
    Increase Muscle%: ✅ 28.7 -> 30.9
    Calories < in the green
    Steps > 7500
    Intentional exercise > 50 mins daily
    Active hours > 6 daily
    Some Activities I get to do
    Meditation, walk/jog, Dancing, coastal walks
    Skype with family,
    Crochet, craft, watch TV, Puzzles, read
    Write poetry, paint/draw